Confusion.

anna_vixen

Gold Member
Could someone just clarify, I've read many posts but I'm still confused.

I'm going out for Valentines on Tuesday -

so do I say I'm having 40 syns out of my 80ish for then so 40 for the rest of the week?

or do I 'flexi-syn' - and just say I'm having 40 syns for Valentines but still have my normal 10syns a day?

If the answer is its up to you, what works best? xxx

It really is up to you. If you are happy to accept that you may not lose this week then flexi-synning works well and as said you don't have to worry about cutting back on syns for the rest of the week

Otherwise, if you are okay with having fewer syns for the rest of the week without feeling deprived and going off plan then a weekly allowance can also work.

Could someone just clarify, I've read many posts but I'm still confused.

I'm going out for Valentines on Tuesday -

so do I say I'm having 40 syns out of my 80ish for then so 40 for the rest of the week?

or do I 'flexi-syn' - and just say I'm having 40 syns for Valentines but still have my normal 10syns a day?

If the answer is its up to you, what works best? xxx

Flexi-syn is the only way as the syns are not transferrable.....

lights touchpaper and stands well back.:D

Maximus said:
Flexi-syn is the only way as the syns are not transferrable.....

lights touchpaper and stands well back.:D

Confused as my consultant said you can spread them over the week as long as u eat them? X

Really? I didn't know that. My consultant has said many times that we can calculate total number of syns for the week and use them whenever suits. I often have 5-10ish through the week and more at the weekend. Is this not right?
Thanks

Confused as my consultant said you can spread them over the week as long as u eat them? X

It's a fairly contentious issue among us miniminers. Some say you can spread them out, some you can't. Lets not start the argument again.

However, my personal view is, yes you can spread them out, just make sure you don't go over your weekly syn allowance and yes you may not lose as much weight as normal this week BUT if you don't go over your weekly syn allowance, you should still lose.

Just make sure you don't do it every week.

:)

Stackhead said:
It's a fairly contentious issue among us miniminers. Some say you can spread them out, some you can't. Lets not start the argument again.

:)

Sorry I haven't seen people arguing about it it was only that my consultant said it literally last week? Was only trying to help.

My C was suggesting at group that we counted down from our syn allowance so say you have 105 a week than you takeaway the syns as you use them and then you know what you have got left.
Some say not to use syns weekly but if this means that someone is going to think well I've had more than my days syns allowance so I may as well sod it and end up using loads and not counting them in a day then I would say it was better.
I think we have to do what works for us within the plans and the options but with flexi-synning you are going over the weeks sn allowance so in theory less likely to lose but at least you are still in control of what you are eating etc
Good luck and hope you have a lovely meal! :)

I think our own personal psychology comes into this too. If you are ok using a lot of your allowance in one day and cutting back the rest of the week it could work. But that's also why SW have flexi syns, because for some that can lead to panic or feelings of deprivation. Therefore you have your flexi day, draw a line under it and carry on ad you were the next day, not trying to recoup the syns you used.

If I was only likely to be slightly over my 15 I would perhaps cut back, but then I rarely use all 15 a day anyway, so its not a hardship. However, if I know I am going to go way over I would probably flexi, otherwise I would feel like it was too hard work to catch up again.

I use mine over the week - and aim to have the minimum of 5 per day.

I used 17 on thursday and 20.5 yesterday. I will have less today, and be stricter on Mon-Weds.

It worked fine for me last week and i lost weight xxx

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm trying to have less syns up till Tuesday so I can enjoy myself :D
So far I don't feel deprived yay! :) xx

There was an excellent and thought-provoking thread by MadamLaMinx (I think it was) about flexi-synning.

It is interesting how some consultants say you can spread them and some don't.

Slimming World is fairly clear on this - i.e. 5-15 syns per day - it says in the literature. It does not say 35-105 syns per week.

Most people at our group save them to drink at weekends. I am rather more concerned that consultants have conflicting views on this.

At the end of the day I don't suppose it matters so long as people are losing weight. It is just the terminology I think.

Perhaps the terms "spreading-out-your-syns" and "coming off plan for the day" could be used to clarify, but as long as SW's consultants don't know then we've got no chance.

Slimming World is fairly clear on this - i.e. 5-15 syns per day - it says in the literature. It does not say 35-105 syns per week.

Part of the problem is that SW keep changing their mind - two months ago they said it was fine to save syns for the weekend but now they have backpedalled a bit.

I'm going to agree with the personal psychology thing. For me, saving syns would be a recipe for disaster. But not everyone has the same "food problems". I don't mean to keep the discussion going but we have to do what works for us. No "diet" out there can address our individual psychological needs. It can only give us a new way of eating. The most important hurdle to get over in our journey is our personal relationship with food. Knowing yourself is key to success. If we don't face these internal issues, we will struggle for life. Flexisyn, save your syns or daily synning is a personal choice. The key is to find the one that won't sabotage you. Good luck to all of us in finding our niche. Xxx

I'm going to agree with the personal psychology thing. For me, saving syns would be a recipe for disaster. But not everyone has the same "food problems". I don't mean to keep the discussion going but we have to do what works for us. No "diet" out there can address our individual psychological needs. It can only give us a new way of eating. The most important hurdle to get over in our journey is our personal relationship with food. Knowing yourself is key to success. If we don't face these internal issues, we will struggle for life. Flexisyn, save your syns or daily synning is a personal choice. The key is to find the one that won't sabotage you. Good luck to all of us in finding our niche. Xxx

I agree x

Part of the problem is that SW keep changing their mind - two months ago they said it was fine to save syns for the weekend but now they have backpedalled a bit.

Exactly! - this doesn't help clarify things. Someone probably pointed out they were actively encoraging binge-drinking/eating at weekends. Did they backpeddle "furiously" I do hope so, as that is one of my favourite tabloid terms lol

Very well put. There is no right and wrong, but as SW says it's all about being in control. Very much an individual thing.

I nearly always flexi syn when going out for dinner. I have had weeks where I have flexi synned 3 times in a week and still lost weight.

Life goes on while on SW and flexi synning is great for fitting SW world into a long term lifestyle change.

Enjoy!

Back