Considering Exante - A few questions first....

betaff

Hi everyone

I've just been reading around the forum for a day or two and am seriously considering starting to follow the Exante plan (Total Solution).

I'm just wondering if anyone could help me out with a few questions I have first please? :)

I am a 38yr old bloke, 4.5st overweight and pretty much inactive. I'm really not sure I can get by with only 600cals a day (maybe 800 if I have four packs I suppose). Once you get into Ketosis and your body starts using your fat reserves is it a lot easier to keep going than it sounds?? lol

I am going on holiday in approx 10 weeks. Is it maybe possible to lose say 3 stone in 10 weeks if adhering to the plan? 42lbs so I suppose that's 4lb a week on average!

if after a couple of weeks I add some exercise in I guess that would then make it more OK to add in some extra calories - say very very low carb things such as a portion of fish once a day (tea time perhaps). This would not take me out of ketosis and although it would increase overall calories the exercise would counteract this - would this slow down the fat loss by much??

Flavouring water - does anyone know of where to buy some sort of flavouring to make water more appealing. Are all squash drinks excluded? I know Pepsi etc is due to the citric acid, is this the same for squash? I'm not sure I can drink plain water all the time and don't like tea or coffee :(

Does staying on a very low calorie diet cause long term damage to your metabolism - does your body not instinctively slow down your metabolism as soon as it realises you are only eating 600cals per day. How long is it OK to stay on 600cals a day for?

My last question... (phew I hear you all say!!!) - when going away in 10 weeks time it's to an all you can eat resort. if I suddenly start eating carbs again on this week what would happen? If then reverting back to the 600cals a day when back at home would I be able to undo the damage caused by the week long lapse or would it be best to still try and avoid carbs during this week in order to stay in Ketosis?

I don't mind not going crazy and eating loads and I don't really drink alcohol so that's not going to be a problem.

I just need to sort myself out ASAP as I've got young kids and want to be able to go swimming with them etc without feeling so uncomfortable (well, I feel that bad that there's no way I'd go swimming at the moment).

I used to play a LOT of football and be super fit and I would never have imagined that I could end up like this - time to fix it now though :)

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice provided

Phil

I just typed a reply and was timed out :eek:...
Will be back in a min with some answers for you :)

Hi everyone

I've just been reading around the forum for a day or two and am seriously considering starting to follow the Exante plan (Total Solution).

I'm just wondering if anyone could help me out with a few questions I have first please? :)

I am a 38yr old bloke, 4.5st overweight and pretty much inactive. I'm really not sure I can get by with only 600cals a day (maybe 800 if I have four packs I suppose). Once you get into Ketosis and your body starts using your fat reserves is it a lot easier to keep going than it sounds?? lol
Ketosis does help keep hunger at bay, so you find it much much easier to keep going :).
You will be able to survive on 600cals, or if you choose 4 packs(800cals)
You will be hungry the first few days, but as long as you drink plenty of water, it will be okay :)
I am going on holiday in approx 10 weeks. Is it maybe possible to lose say 3 stone in 10 weeks if adhering to the plan? 42lbs so I suppose that's 4lb a week on average!
I have lost 38.5lbs in 10 weeks :D
Men lose weight much easier on a VLCD, so your expectations are not unreasonalbe :D
if after a couple of weeks I add some exercise in I guess that would then make it more OK to add in some extra calories - say very very low carb things such as a portion of fish once a day (tea time perhaps). This would not take me out of ketosis and although it would increase overall calories the exercise would counteract this - would this slow down the fat loss by much??
I currently do this... not every day, just some (more often than not though, to be honest :eek:)
I dont have a massive amount, just a snack amount... a small tin of tuna, or salmon.... 5 olives and approx 40g ish feta :)
I dont know if this has slowed my weight loss down. I am happy with my weight loss so far, so I dont feel the need to change anything just now :)
I exercise approx 60 mins a day at the moment. Although, I was exerising 30mins a day prior to Exante ;)

Flavouring water - does anyone know of where to buy some sort of flavouring to make water more appealing. Are all squash drinks excluded? I know Pepsi etc is due to the citric acid, is this the same for squash? I'm not sure I can drink plain water all the time and don't like tea or coffee :(
The Exante website has just added some water flavouring today. Orange, blackcurrant, and peach. You can have coke zero, or dr pepper zero, but I believe moderation is the policy :). Some of the supermarkets flavoured fizzy water can be drunk, but check for citric acid first. There is a thread about the yays and nays of what to drink. :)
Does staying on a very low calorie diet cause long term damage to your metabolism - does your body not instinctively slow down your metabolism as soon as it realises you are only eating 600cals per day. How long is it OK to stay on 600cals a day for?
At week 5, you should AAM (add a meal) week, which reboots your metabolism, then you can start again on the 600cals :)
My last question... (phew I hear you all say!!!) - when going away in 10 weeks time it's to an all you can eat resort. if I suddenly start eating carbs again on this week what would happen? If then reverting back to the 600cals a day when back at home would I be able to undo the damage caused by the week long lapse or would it be best to still try and avoid carbs during this week in order to stay in Ketosis?
It is inevitable that you will gain weight when you reintroduce carbs :(
But yes, you could restart Exante on your return, and lose again.
You could stay in Ketosis whilst on holiday, if you wish... thats a personal call really :)
Why don't you see how you feel in a few weeks, and decide if thats what you want to do then ? You will be in a better position to know whats what by then :)

I don't mind not going crazy and eating loads and I don't really drink alcohol so that's not going to be a problem.

I just need to sort myself out ASAP as I've got young kids and want to be able to go swimming with them etc without feeling so uncomfortable (well, I feel that bad that there's no way I'd go swimming at the moment).

I used to play a LOT of football and be super fit and I would never have imagined that I could end up like this - time to fix it now though :)
Exante recommend doing 20 mins exercise a day, so if you dont do anything just now, go for that amount :)
Many thanks in advance for any help/advice provided

Phil

I hope that has answered your questions :)
Oh, and welcome :D
Marge
:D

That's great!!! Many thanks for your detailed reply. I know I asked a lot so I really appreciate you taking the time :)

I definitely like the sound of doing this for the next ten weeks and maybe beyond the holiday if necessary.

I'm off to bed now but will definitely check out the links you posted in the morning also.

Thanks again!!!

Phil

P.S. I like your ultimate goal in your sig!! lol

Aye, its getting closer ;)
Good luck
Marge
:D

I'm male and I have lost 21lbs in 3 weeks. That is with a meal and a few drinks one day when I had a social event.

4th week almost over now and after day 3 I was fine. Had no hunger issues whatsoever and still don't now. Although I have 2 shakes and a low carb high protein meal.

You get used to it and it becomes second nature. Would deffo reccommend it. Also don't focus too much on the scales as in 3 weeks I have lost 4inches off my chest and 2inches off my waist.

Measure yourself once every 2 weeks and you will be suprised at the loss

Wow, thanks for your input AMW - much appreciated :)

21lb in three weeks is crazy stuff isn't it!!! Sounds good to me!!

Out of interest, would you mind giving me an idea of what kind of things you have for your low carb/high protein meals - do you aim for a certain number of calories in that meal?

Is your weight loss purely from the change in your diet or do you also exercise?

Phil

Back