Consultant put me on a downer

Nemo - if you haven't already - go to the Slimming World website and read Stuart Howell's story (the recently named "Man of the Year 2010"). it parallels what you're saying above quite well. He went in to ask about surgery - ended up joining Slimming World, and loosing 12st.

The surgery is still there as you say as a "last ditch measure" - but stick with the food optimising - gain the habits that will keep you going the rest of your life - and if you decide you still want the surgery - then at least you'll still have healthy eating habits to help continue the weight management journey.

Firstly a huge hug :)

Now then. Who are you losing the weight for? Will this consultant give a monkeys if you succeed? Who really cares if you lose the weight? YOU THATS WHO. You must do this for yourself and no one else, so what if he thinks you might fail, stop using this as an excuse. Sweetie you can do it, youve done it before.

Believe in yourself, f**k everyone else ;)

Now then, another huge hug and playful slap on the bum xxx

Hey Nemo,
As a yo yo dieter myself, I really believe that SW is teaching me to live the rest of my life more healthily. I lost 7 stone rapidly, put 4 back on, lost 4, gained 4 lost 2 etc etc etc but since I "found" SW I have felt for the first time that I could actually take control. The 2 stone that you've lost so far is fantastic!
As others have said, I think the consultant just looked at the numbers, and gave you a choice but it's your choice to make. A friend at work has been considering bypass surgery for so long but the fact that she could never eat properly again concerns me personally - even healthy eating means your mind needs time to catch up with what is going on. I'm not sure how easy it is for the mind to accept that you can't eat "normally" ever again?
Another friend had a gastric band, but has recently been finding ways to get around it e.g. liquidising mars bars and high calorie food. Again that concerns me, because it's even worse for her health, coz she can't fit any other nutrients in then!
i've rambled a bit, but I guess I'd really recommend taking some time on SW to see how it goes (maybe at least 6mths to a year). You might still decide that you want the surgery, but you'll be so much more healthy to undergo it, and you will have learned brilliant habits for life (or you might be stones lighter and forget all about going under the knife).
Loads of luck whatever you decide x

Back