Contact Lenses

Stitchy

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with contact lenses? I went over to the university union last week, and got cornered by someone from the opticians offering me a free 5 day trial. Now, I'm always up for trying new things, and at my wedding people kept telling me that I look nice without glasses, so I thought why not? :D

Anyway, they put some in for me and I liked having them in (hello, peripheral vision!), but when they tried to teach me to take them out again I really struggled. I think I was there for about an hour, lol.. in the end I gave up and the optician removed them for me :eek:

I'm going back this afternoon to learn to put them in/take them out, and I'm worried I'll look like an idiot if I can't do it again :eek:

Does it get easier? Can anyone get the hang of it? :) Thanks :D

Hello!

I have had contacts for about two months now, and they were a disaster in the beginning!

I could not get them out! And I lost my left one on the first attempt!

Now though I wouldn't be without them, they just take some getting used to.

I find the best way to get them out is to drag them to the bottom of your eye, (like the white bit) and then use the thumb and finger to gently pinch them out!

Hope this helps

x

Ive worn contact lenses since I was old enough to which i think was around the age of 16. I am now 32 and I dont even think about putting them in and taking them out. I dont need a mirror however when i first started wearing them they opticians wouldnt let me leave until i could prove i could put them in and take them out safely... I was there for hours!!

I used to wear hard lenses for a period of time and you really cannot fall asleep with them in your eyes and what amazes me is that I always manage to take them out when i'm drunk!! In the morning i never remember taking them out however i think it must be something thats built into my subconcious! I wear soft lenses now so it would be so much of a problem if i did accidently fall asleep!

I've worn contacts for about 15 years and wouldn't be without them! I have the soft lenses you change monthly and don't have any problems. I found they too some getting used to at first - the whole idea of putting your fingers in your eyes is not nice, but once you get over that it's fine. I tend to do exactly the same as Melissa87 when getting them out. Try not to sleep in them, my eyes feel so uncomfortable the next morning and will be bloodshot and I then can't wear my lenses for that day. It will come with practise! Good luck.

Me too I wear contact lenses & wouldn't be without them.

I think you need to try & forget you are putting your finger in your eye:D & try to approach your eye gently with your thumb & forefinger, then gently squeeze the lense out, easier said than done.

Honestly you won't hurt yourself if you approach your eye gently, there is no stinging & no pain:D

I've been wearing them for 7 years, and like everyone else I couldn't get them out when I first started - now I don't think about it, it just takes some practice.

I've recently started wearing them for watersports, it's awesome!

Absolutely gets easier :) If you find yourself getting upset or panicking just take a break for a few minutes and try again. The brand I wear now are more sticky than I'm used to and the first day I worked myself up thinking that they were never going to come off my eyes. (The drier your eye, the easier it is to get a grip on it)

Yes!

Exactly the same. Been wearing them since about June. I had always been told of the horror stories, but I wouldn't be without them either.

I also had the trial (at Specsavers, as it goes) and they showed me how to put them in, then wouldn't let me leave (or continue wth the trial) until i took them out again. It was scary, as I kept thinking I would either poke my out out, or grab the eye instead of the lens:eek::eek:

It does get better, and becomes second nature. I just returned from Florida and what a massive difference it makes on holiday:)

Stay with it, it really does get better to the extent they become second nature. I have daily disposables so get to change them in and out each and every day. I may well move on to the monthly ones. Occasionally i make a mess putting them in from time-to-time (I suppose everyone does).

Persevere, you'll be glad you did!

Steve

I tried contact lenses when I was about 21 - got monthly ones, but I could not get them in or out - split 2 pairs on the trial and then just gave up!
Then tried again about 6 years later, and got the hang of them straight away!
I now use dailys too - so does not matter how you get them out, you just pinch them and bin them!

Thanks for your replies everyone - they must have given me some confidence, because my appointment yesterday went a lot better :D

Yesterday I started with putting them in, which was much easier than taking them out, and it only took me a few minutes to get them in :p. After that, because I actually had a bit of experience in handling them and touching my eyes, it made it sooo much easier to take them out again.

I did that a few more times and they let me go with the lenses in and 7 free pairs of lenses :D.

I had no trouble taking them out at home, so that was good. I'm not wearing any today, I don't want to start panicking in the morning when I don't have that much time, and I'm not supposed to wear them for that long as my eyes aren't used to them yet, but I'll try them at home for the next few evenings or so, and then probably for longer at the weekends. I've that goes well then I'll maybe try them for a day at work on Monday :D.

I've got a follow up appointment next week to see if I want to start wearing them regularly - so we'll see :).

As I used to have acrylic nails I use the scissor action using my two fingers to take them out, found it alot easier.

You soon get used to them, Like you i had to get the opticians to take mine out the first time. Now i'm so used to them i take them in and out in no time, without even needing a mirror. I hate it on the odd occasions i wear my glasses as i look down half of the time instead of looking through then ha ha

HPx

Worn contacts since I was 16 and am now 35. I'm very blind (-9 in right eye, -8.50 in left) so popping them in and out is 2nd nature. Basically, your eyes are not used to being poked at which is the reason why you are having a hard time. It takes times and a little practice. I'd say 2 weeks and you will be pretty ok with them if you use them daily.

It does get easier, I had a right struggle when I first used them. It took me about 30 mins to get them in/out. Now I can do it within a couple of minutes. Perhaps go back to the optician, they should be able to help you if you are really struggling. It's definitely worth it!

I wore contacts for only a week. Like the others, I also had struggles with it. I wasn't able to get the hang of it. LoL. Im having hard time removing it and ended up sleeping on them. My mom just woke me up and asked if i still have the contacts on. I'm fine with my specs hahahah;)

I have worn contacts for about 20 years and I couldn't live without them. I have had many different types but the ones I have now, I've had for about 7 years and they are brilliant. They are from Specsavers and you wear them continuously for a month and then change them. It's brilliant to be able to sleep in them and see the clock as I'm really short sighted and can't see the hand in front of my face without them. My husband tried them and they really irritated his eyes but one of his is a funny shape (can't remember what it's called!) so he now has some from Vision Express which are basically the same but you change them once a week. Best invention ever! I was dead set on laser eye surgery before I had these but now it doesn't seem so important. Good luck with your lenses, you'll get used to handling and wearing them really quickly :)

Hi,
Im like alot of others on here and wouldnt be without mine. Iv been wearing them about 3 years now.
The first time I tried I gave up, just couldnt handle them, second time round got it no problem.
I have the monthly ones where I literally put them in one day and change them a month later. I think they are wonderful!

I've worn daily's for years never had a problem I always look in the mirror and never concentrate on my finger going towards my eye so I dont blink until its in. And I do the same when taking them out

Xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I have worn contacts for about 20 years and I couldn't live without them. I have had many different types but the ones I have now, I've had for about 7 years and they are brilliant. They are from Specsavers and you wear them continuously for a month and then change them. It's brilliant to be able to sleep in them and see the clock as I'm really short sighted and can't see the hand in front of my face without them. My husband tried them and they really irritated his eyes but one of his is a funny shape (can't remember what it's called!) so he now has some from Vision Express which are basically the same but you change them once a week. Best invention ever! I was dead set on laser eye surgery before I had these but now it doesn't seem so important. Good luck with your lenses, you'll get used to handling and wearing them really quickly :)

Hi,
Im like alot of others on here and wouldnt be without mine. Iv been wearing them about 3 years now.
The first time I tried I gave up, just couldnt handle them, second time round got it no problem.
I have the monthly ones where I literally put them in one day and change them a month later. I think they are wonderful!

Where do you get these from, they sound amazing! I get daily disposables from Boots but only wear them occasionally due to the hassle of putting them in and taking them out every morning/night. Would love to use these instead! Thanks X

Mine are from Specsavers, £15 a month. They really are great, you should go and have a trial, you'll never look back! :)

Back