Cooking for a family? Here's my tips

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by SharonJayne1970, 5 February 2008 Social URL.

1. SharonJayne1970

SharonJayne1970 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st12lb
    Current Weight:
    15st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.15%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    I did LL last year and what I found extremely difficult was cooking for my family. Unfortunately I don't have a partner who is a new man and would cook plus he does an extremely stressful job so in fairness I wouldn't expect him too especially as I am at home all day.

Here is what I do. I have 8 weeks of menus for evening meals and puddings all home made with recipes. I know at the beginning of the week what I am preparing each evening for dinner. I love cooking so apart from the roast being the same every Sunday each day is different for the entire 8 weeks. I also have worked out the shopping list for the week ahead. I have these all in a folder in my kitchen and just take out a copy of the shopping list each week, check my cupboards and mark off what I don't need then go off shopping. If I am going through a particularly rough patch I will get the shopping delivered to avoid the temptation of buying crap in the supermarket. I have also worked out that my difficult times are in the afternoon about 3 to 5 pm just the time when dinner is supposed to be done. Therefore, and I know not everyone can do this, I prep as much of it as I can in the morning the time I am least likely to pick.

Just thought I would share what I do to help me through

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. ninababes

ninababes Gold Member

You're very organised hun i'm very proud :) xx

4. SharonJayne1970

Start Weight:
    15st12lb
    Current Weight:
    15st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.15%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    lol Nina if only you knew, I am not really that well organised. It doesn't come naturally to me at all and it is a constant battle to stay organised but it does work and thats the difference. If something works then no matter how hard it is its worth sticking to it.

5. ninababes

ninababes Gold Member

You see i like to think im pretty organised but i'm only organised in things that interest me which isnt good as at the minute it's just the wedding ahahahaha

You should hire yourself out and do peoples menus for them :-D

6. misscheeky

misscheeky Gold Member

Some great tips there sharon, I know when im making my daughters dinner i would love to have some :(

7. SharonJayne1970

Start Weight:
    15st12lb
    Current Weight:
    15st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.15%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    I think it comes from being a bit of a control freak lol I like to know exactly what I am doing and there is a downside to that, I don't function well when something unexpected happens

8. Lisa Marie

Lisa Marie Silver Member

Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Diet:
    cd
    Very organised indeed Sharon. Think I will get my thinking cap on for menus but how on earth do you think of enough ideas to feed them something different everyday for 8 weeks?

I usually have my soup when the dinner is cooking so I'm not tempted and when they sit down to eat I go and watch some tv or come on here.

9. SharonJayne1970

Start Weight:
    15st12lb
    Current Weight:
    15st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.15%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    Lisa Marie its years of cooking lol and accumulating things that I know everyone likes. I have it all in a word document so if you would like it I can email it to you

10. shinyhappyperson

shinyhappyperson Silver Member

I have only been on CD for one week, so my poor children have had to eat food I don't like ~ lots of fish and vegetables!

Today has been hard - cheese and ham pancakes, followed by chocolate and banana pancake :cry: My beanpole of a daugher is on her 6th pancake.

I can't wait to have my soup :cry:

11. IWILLSUCCEED!

IWILLSUCCEED! Banned

Diet:
    Cambridge
  12. Sussex Girl

Sussex Girl Full Member

Diet:
    Cambridge
    ooooh Sharon, can I be really cheeky and have the word document too please? I could do with some inspiration :eek:

if you say yes I'll pm you my e-mail address if that's ok?

13. Time4ME

Time4ME MUST get a grip

Diet:
    Cambridge
    Are you sure you dont wanna try my way?????????????????????

Let the cupboards get to the point that it looks like you're going on hold for a flippin fortnight....

Be taken to the Supermarket - gun pointed at your temple.

Let shopping commence, I'll have one of them, them & them, a couple of those - yeah that'll do!

And then have to return for all the things you forgot!!!! I've got this all of to a T - i'm a natural :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

14. annie_d

annie_d Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st12lb(5.97%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    Or, SharonJayne, what you could do is...........trade your old man in for a new one! I got one and he is working out really, really well!

15. SharonJayne1970

Start Weight:
    15st12lb
    Current Weight:
    15st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.15%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    lol lucky you

16. SharonJayne1970

Start Weight:
    15st12lb
    Current Weight:
    15st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.15%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    Sussex girl - PM me your email addy

17. lighterme

lighterme Full Member

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.