Cooking for a family? Here's my tips

SharonJayne1970

Silver Member
I did LL last year and what I found extremely difficult was cooking for my family. Unfortunately I don't have a partner who is a new man and would cook plus he does an extremely stressful job so in fairness I wouldn't expect him too especially as I am at home all day.

Here is what I do. I have 8 weeks of menus for evening meals and puddings all home made with recipes. I know at the beginning of the week what I am preparing each evening for dinner. I love cooking so apart from the roast being the same every Sunday each day is different for the entire 8 weeks. I also have worked out the shopping list for the week ahead. I have these all in a folder in my kitchen and just take out a copy of the shopping list each week, check my cupboards and mark off what I don't need then go off shopping. If I am going through a particularly rough patch I will get the shopping delivered to avoid the temptation of buying crap in the supermarket. I have also worked out that my difficult times are in the afternoon about 3 to 5 pm just the time when dinner is supposed to be done. Therefore, and I know not everyone can do this, I prep as much of it as I can in the morning the time I am least likely to pick.

Just thought I would share what I do to help me through

You're very organised hun i'm very proud :) xx

lol Nina if only you knew, I am not really that well organised. It doesn't come naturally to me at all and it is a constant battle to stay organised but it does work and thats the difference. If something works then no matter how hard it is its worth sticking to it.

You see i like to think im pretty organised but i'm only organised in things that interest me which isnt good as at the minute it's just the wedding ahahahaha

You should hire yourself out and do peoples menus for them :-D

I think it comes from being a bit of a control freak lol I like to know exactly what I am doing and there is a downside to that, I don't function well when something unexpected happens

Very organised indeed Sharon. Think I will get my thinking cap on for menus but how on earth do you think of enough ideas to feed them something different everyday for 8 weeks?

I usually have my soup when the dinner is cooking so I'm not tempted and when they sit down to eat I go and watch some tv or come on here.

Lisa Marie its years of cooking lol and accumulating things that I know everyone likes. I have it all in a word document so if you would like it I can email it to you

I have only been on CD for one week, so my poor children have had to eat food I don't like ~ lots of fish and vegetables!

Today has been hard - cheese and ham pancakes, followed by chocolate and banana pancake :cry: My beanpole of a daugher is on her 6th pancake.

I can't wait to have my soup :cry:

Great idea Sharon - I'd love it if you'd email it to me, I can use all the help I can get!lol Nearly popped a chip into my mouth today - was sooooooooo difficult to resist it!
Can I have your ideas please?
[email protected]
Cheers me darlink!
Tansyx:)

ooooh Sharon, can I be really cheeky and have the word document too please? I could do with some inspiration :eek:

if you say yes I'll pm you my e-mail address if that's ok?

Are you sure you dont wanna try my way?????????????????????

Let the cupboards get to the point that it looks like you're going on hold for a flippin fortnight....

Be taken to the Supermarket - gun pointed at your temple.

Let shopping commence, I'll have one of them, them & them, a couple of those - yeah that'll do!

And then have to return for all the things you forgot!!!! I've got this all of to a T - i'm a natural :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Or, SharonJayne, what you could do is...........trade your old man in for a new one! I got one and he is working out really, really well!

Back