Cooking SW chips from frozen?

evilpenguin

Not evil at all
Hey

I think this is the right place to ask this! Yesterday I par boiled a big batch of SW chips and froze them so that I have a stash ready to cook and don't have to faff about chopping potatoes if I fancy some for dinner... but I'm wondering do I need to defrost them or can I just stick them in the oven from frozen? Sorry this is probably a really stupid question :eek: but I am hopeless without cooking instructions!!

And does anyone have any cooking tips for these? I haven't made them for a long time as I always got bad results (they'd break apart in the boiling process and then just stick to the oven tray when I cooked them) but this time they didn't fall apart as I only boiled them for 8 - 10 mins ish, I was doing it for about 15 mins before, following the actual recipe I had from a magazine! So how long should I bake them for and at what temp?

i cook them straight from frozen!

Hey

I think this is the right place to ask this! Yesterday I par boiled a big batch of SW chips and froze them so that I have a stash ready to cook and don't have to faff about chopping potatoes if I fancy some for dinner... but I'm wondering do I need to defrost them or can I just stick them in the oven from frozen? Sorry this is probably a really stupid question :eek: but I am hopeless without cooking instructions!!

And does anyone have any cooking tips for these? I haven't made them for a long time as I always got bad results (they'd break apart in the boiling process and then just stick to the oven tray when I cooked them) but this time they didn't fall apart as I only boiled them for 8 - 10 mins ish, I was doing it for about 15 mins before, following the actual recipe I had from a magazine! So how long should I bake them for and at what temp?

Ive litteraly just finished my SW Chips and can say its the first time ive made them good ;) i boiled them for 5 mins only, drained them and laid them on tray to dry out for 10 mins, then sprayed another tray with frylight, added chips sprayed a little more frylight over them and sprinkled Smoked Paprika over chips, add to pre-heated oven for 10 mins, took them out to turn chips over then back in oven for another 10 mins..they were delicious :D

Just to add my oven is fan assisted so cooks quite quick you may need to adjust times :)

Thanks folks :D

Cupofteapet, how long do you cook them for and what temp? :)

x-lizbif-x said:
Ive litteraly just finished my SW Chips and can say its the first time ive made them good ;) i boiled them for 5 mins only, drained them and laid them on tray to dry out for 10 mins, then sprayed another tray with frylight, added chips sprayed a little more frylight over them and sprinkled Smoked Paprika over chips, add to pre-heated oven for 10 mins, took them out to turn chips over then back in oven for another 10 mins..they were delicious :D

Just to add my oven is fan assisted so cooks quite quick you may need to adjust times :)

Is it ok to freeze the potatoes cut into chips great idea but iv never done it before thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

i just cook wedges (and i dont par boil them) - no peeling - cut a small ish potato into 8ths.
all the goodness is just under the skin anyway :)

Temperature of 200 for about 30 mins (keep an eye on it as can be bit quicker if you wedges are too thin)

What i mean is someone suggested that they cut the potatoes par boil them and then creeze them does anyone know if this is ok to do or what lol

courtneyslim said:
What i mean is someone suggested that they cut the potatoes par boil them and then creeze them does anyone know if this is ok to do or what lol

Hey this is what I done and they were fine! I cut them quite thick, like a proper chippy chip, par boiled for 8 mins, dried them off and cooled them then froze them. They stuck together but were easy enough to wedge apart.

Tonight I put the oven to the fan setting and had almost burned them after 10 mins so be careful and keep an eye on them. Sticking to the regular oven setting next time lol :D

Thanks for the tip tracey!

Now to find space in the freezer for a tray lol. We have 2 freezers and there is never any space!!!

If you freeze them in a tray for a bit and then put them in a freezer bag they are less likely to stick together!

This works with any veg you want to freeze, also helps to make sure veg is surface dry before you start. I put my par boiled chips on cake cooling racks to dry.

I love this idea, why haven't I thought of it before? Do you spray the chips with frylight before freezing?

Never thought of doing this before, but a very good idea. Was thinking the same Kerry B of spraying them with fry light before freezing, but I think it would be a good idea to let them dry before freezing to prevent them all gelling to together. When cooking my chips I have boiled and not boiled and although can be eaten both ways I do much prefer them boiled a little first, or an alternative which is quicker is to microwave them before putting in oven so the insides are soft, pretty much like some do with a Jacket Potato. :)

I didn't spray mine might do it next time though to see if they stick less. They fall apart during cooking so it's not a big deal, it wasn't like a huge brick of chips tho only a couple stuck to each other.

The batch I made when I first posted this lasted me til Friday just gone! They were really handy. Definitely doing this again. I've started freezing loads of stuff in portions soup, sauces, mash etc :) makes life easier :D

Back