Correct me if I'm wrong

What he doesn't say directly is how much protein is too much protein.

Drat, forgot this one. Not 100% sure of the mechanics of this, but it's something like this

Carbs: 100% nonketogenic
Fats: 100% ketogenic
Protein: about 50% non keto

As near as damn it anyway. Think fat is just under (possibly) and protein at about 58%. Something like that.

KD!!! :D :D :D How lovely to see you here again, even if it's just a fleeting visit!

Thanks for all the science stuff! Really missed your posts on this sort of thing.

I know! I've spent the afternoon reading the 1000-maintenance forum. Wish you still posted KD - so well-informed and smart.

That forum used to be a hive of activity back in the day. Now the higher steps / stepping up the official way / etc seem less popular.:(

Morning. I was weak last night and pinched a couple of spoonfulls of baked beans from my daughters tea... the slippery slope that led to me having a crumpet with butter
:-(
so I only had a half a shake for tea to try and make amends but the scales show 1.25 lb gain since yesterday morning. Even with the blips I can't of had more than 850 calories. Don't understand. Please someone tell me it's just water?
X

Morning. I was weak last night and pinched a couple of spoonfulls of baked beans from my daughters tea... the slippery slope that led to me having a crumpet with butter
:-(
so I only had a half a shake for tea to try and make amends but the scales show 1.25 lb gain since yesterday morning. Even with the blips I can't of had more than 850 calories. Don't understand. Please someone tell me it's just water?
X

Yes, it's probably mostly water. Partial refilling of glycogen stores - as KD said, each gram of glycogen is attached to 3-4 times its own weight of water.

Soon as you've burnt that glycogen back off again, the water will come off with it.

Even so, don't be tempted to make scales make sense on a daily basis. They don't. All sorts of things affect water balance, from what we've eaten, to whether we're well or a bit off colour, to hormones.

Thanks Lily. Think I might get my hubby to hide the scales so I resist getting on them every day
X

I think last year we had a daily weighers confessions thread... something like AA, lol.

It started with, my name is Lauren... And I'm a daily weigher :)

Don't do it, the scales tell you what your overall weight is that day, but it doesn't take into account how much fat you have burned, how much is muscle and what is water etc... they are evil things them scales.

rachele said:
I've noticed that some people are posting as if ketosis is the only reason you lose weight on this diet??

I was under the impression from my CDC the first time I did this plan that the reason for the weight loss was the low calorie intake not ketosis.

Ketosis just means you're using up your fat stores as opposed to lean tissue, stopping the physical feeling of hunger meaning its easier to adhere to the plan and promotes a feeling of well being in some.

So I don't understand why some people think their weight loss it is dependent on being in ketosis and use ketosticks or post that their weight loss will be higher because they've gone into ketosis quicker this week? Don't get it??!!

Also if you do slip up and eat some carbs that the danger is the obsession that you've come out of ketosis can mean you think you've blown it and that's not true it just means, as long as you get straight back on plan, you'll just be storing extra water for a day or 2.

I'm not saying you shouldn't stick it you should and will remain in ketosis if you are and this is the easiest and most effective method. But I don't understand posts who give the false impression that the quicker you go into ketosis between cheats the more weight you loose???

If ate just 3 bananas a day I would lose weight just as fast as I have on CD (I know this because I did it years ago and lost a rediculous amount of weight) but its not healthy, I would feel increadibly hungry and wasn't be getting the nutrition my body needs.

Just saying!!!

I know I am now hung up on ketosis. I am going away for a week at the end of march and am terrified as I fear that I will put on loads of weight once I come out of ketosis and all will be lost. My CDC gave me ketostix when I only lost 1lb on week 3, the implication being that if I was in ketosis then I would have lost more. To be honest I do feel better in ketosis but I would of course lose loads of weight on 450 cals a day even if I was eating carbs. I need to get it in perspective.

I know I am now hung up on ketosis.

Oh, please don't be! It really doesn't matter that much, honestly!!

I am going away for a week at the end of march and am terrified as I fear that I will put on loads of weight once I come out of ketosis and all will be lost. My CDC gave me ketostix when I only lost 1lb on week 3, the implication being that if I was in ketosis then I would have lost more.

Grrrrrrrrr. And double grrrrr.... :mad: If you were doing SS 100% (which I'm sure you were), then you were in ketosis. Sure as eggs are eggs. It's a well known phenomenon (well, it is around these parts anyway) that weeks 3 & 4 are notorious for smaller losses. It boggles my mind that CDCs don't know this because it happens a lot. I'm sure there's a scientific explanation which will almost certainly involve discussion about homeostasis and water balance - in layman's terms though, it's your body trying to maintain the status quo because you're losing weight quickly and it's not sure it likes it... yet. ;)

And ketostix don't always prove very much. If your body's good at being in ketosis (and some folk have bodies that are), you'll use ketones really efficiently and none (yes, none!) will spill into your urine. Which means that a ketostick wouldn't necessarily find any trace of them. But that wouldn't necessarily mean that you weren't in ketosis.

And even if your body isn't 100% efficient with ketones, a lot of them are excreted on your breath (that's why it smells funny :)) and still more as perspiration. There might not be enough of them to spill over into your urine.

To be honest I do feel better in ketosis but I would of course lose loads of weight on 450 cals a day even if I was eating carbs. I need to get it in perspective.

If you're on three shakes a day (450 calories a day) and aren't sneaking in any extra food (and I'm sure you aren't) then you're having around 42g carb a day. if you haven't cheated, you will be in ketosis, no matter what ketostix say, no matter what the scales say.

Better? :D Oh, it would be lovely if, on this diet, we each lost a steady 3.5lbs a week, every single week. But it doesn't work like that. It's always best to look at weight loss over a course of several weeks than it is to try to gauge how you're doing on a week by week basis.

By the way - if you come out of ketosis for your week away (and you don't have to, by the way - you could choose to eat low carb foods), all that will mostly happen is that you'll refill your glycogen and water stocks (6-8lbs worth for most of us). Within days of getting back on SS, those pounds will slide straight back off again.

Last edited:
Hi Lily. Do u mind me asking how you know so much about all this stuff? I'd love to be all genned up about it like you are. Thanks X

LOL. Years of reading around the science of low carb diets, reading great posts here (often written by the lovely KD who posted earlier in this thread) and years of being on (and off) a low carb diet.

Unfortunately low carbing is completely at odds with current thinking on how we lose weight (though interestingly, our grannies knew that one way to lose weight was to cut down on bread and potatoes).

If you want to read about ketogenic diets (diets that put you into ketosis), some good folks to Google are Gary Taubes, Lyle McDonald, Mike Eades, Mark Sissons - well, that's enough to get you started. :D I probably shouldn't forget Robert Atkins in there, either.

Having said all that, I often think that the ketosis bit of Cambridge is more accidental than planned. The researchers who designed Cambridge came up with a product that gives the greatest nutritional whack for the lowest number of calories - it just so happened that resulted in Cambridge products being low in carbs - which, mighty conveniently, makes the diet ketogenic (I'm shamelessly cynical ;)). That's about the only thing Cambridge has in common with other low carb diets though. You'll find that most low carb diet advocates don't recommend that you try to reduce your fat intake...

It all makes for interesting reading, anyway!

KD , Welcome back ! missed not seeing you on the threads !

Doesn't water aid in digestion? Maybe that's why we retain it? I wonder why the cure for retaining is to drink more water =) ? Still more I don't understand.....but I do know that I am loosing!

Back