cottage pie

barrani

This one's a family favorite :)
COTTAGE PIE WITH CAULIFLOWER TOPPING (Dukan cruise phase (PV) friendly)
750 g lean steak mince.
1 large onion.
2 cloves of garlic.
Half a red chilli (more or less as required)
1 small carrot diced
1 stick of celery diced
1 red, green or yellow pepper.
Two low Salt stock cubes
Small bunch of fresh thyme sprigs steeped in boiling water (approx. 150 mil)
1 tbsp tomato purée
2 tbsp fat-free cottage cheese
2 tbsp skimmed milk.
1 medium/large cauliflower.
Ground black pepper
Method
Steam or boil the cauliflower until soft and retain the cooking water.
Fry the mince with a spray of olive oil for a few minutes until browned. Remove from the pan and place on kitchen paper to remove some of the fat.
Fry the onion, garlic, carrots, chilli, celery and pepper for a few minutes until soft.
In the meantime remove the sprigs of thyme and add the stock cubes to the thyme infused water., allow to dissolve.
Return the meat to the pan and mix together,
Strip the thyme leaves from the stalks and add to the mixture Fry for a few more minutes.
Add the tomato purée and stock together with a bit of the cauliflower water and cook on medium heat until the liquid has reduced slightly (to your own preference).
Season to taste with black pepper.
Mash or blend the cauliflower with a small amount of skimmed milk and cottage cheese.
Put the meat mixture into ovenproof lasagne dish or individual dishes.
Spread the mashed cauliflower on the top and season with black pepper.
Place under the grill until browned.
N.B. Alternative Topping
Swede, butternut squash or any other permitted root vegetables with the cottage cheese also works well.

YUMMY

this sounds really nice, first day on cruise for my partner and i tomorrow, so this will be on the menu for tomorrows dinner.

Dave.

had this a couple of times now, its really nice and filling, next time I'm going to replace the Cauliflower with mashed butternut squash.

had this twice now and its really nice and filling, next time i'm going to replace the cauliflower with mashed butternut squash.

Back