Couch to 5k

Pheonix2010

Silver Member
As I come to the end of my Slim and Save journey

Im starting to think about how im going to lose the last stone with healthy eating and exercise and use that for maintenance too

I absolutely hate exercise , but I hate my (2 c section ) belly more

I hear that running is a really good way to tackle it and Im starting from absolute zero , I dont even walk to Tescos 5 minutes away , Im so lazy

But Ive been assured by reading several forums that anyone can do this plan , and it appeals to me because its a gradual introduction to running

Ive ordered a cheap manual treadmill which arrives tomoro and Im going to download the podcasts from the NHS site

The Couch to 5K plan - Live Well - NHS Choices

I hope to start Day one on Saturday , and Ill run every other day

Anyone want to join me ?

Im still using the packs I have left (about 4 weeks worth ) but will start integrating regular food in a week or so.

Ill probably start a couchto5k diary , but im not sure where to put it at the moment

If it goes to plan I will run outdoors once my stamina is up and my weight is down , way too self concious at the moment

Oooh me me me!! I am slightly ahead as far as I have about a weeks packs (if that) left. I have no money for treadmill but will be power walking up to a run every day after school run. I'll look up website. Perhaps they won't allow us anywhere except calorie counting given we won't be following a "to the letter" plan?!

ah but slinky , we will be slim and save maintainers and there is a maintenance section

Its 30 mins every time , so you might have to make a detour on the school run

the plan start you off mainly walking with little 6o second runs in it , gradually building up to 30 minutes running

I'd love to join in on the run bit. I've still a while to go on s&s but I need to up my stamina as I plan to hike on the great wall in July. :)

I will try my best to give it a go - not a
Lover of exercise and also have a weak ankle from tearing my ligaments 18 years ago but will give it my best shot - I need the motivation to move outside of running around all day at school!

Hey I started the c25k before starting S&S but didn't keep it up. I'd never run before either but the programme is really good.
I've signed up to a Race for Life event near me in May so I should really start c25k again...do you think I could do it while on S&S? Would I need to add extra in like protein?
Good luck with it xo

Oh there is a c25k thread on MM but maybe one in S&S for us would be good as we all know what it's like doing vlcd?

Sent by Mrs Cupcake to be <3

oo great wall of china exciting , is that for charity choo , I did the saharah dessert trek many moons ago , a brilliant 10 days , but very challenging

Curvykirst , brilliant , apparently you can repeat a week if you are finding it difficult and move onto the next week when you feel ready , thatll be me I can imagine , we can all do it at our own pace

Cupcake hopefully if a group of us are doing it together we can keep each other going , I dont think I would be able to do it on slim and save packs alone though , but Im going to start introducing more food next week so Ill be getting more calories , not sure where this will belong but ill consider myself slim and save still as thats how I lost the majority of weight

Might have to put the thread in another section of s and s, maybe a sticky ?

Id rather keepit in this section as Ive got to know people here x

I just thought I would post that I am on week 3 of C25K at the minute. I wasn't a runner prior to this but don't find the workout too strenuous. I had been on a 900cal meal replacement plan, but have continued my workouts on S&S with 3 packs and protein and veg allowance. I don't find it a struggle with calorie intake, and don't feel the need to eat more than on plan (although I did just work out I have been having more like 300g of veg each day).

That's great Phoenix because I'm really not a runner and still pretty heavy. I jogged around the park yesterday and my ankle is suffering today xxx

good to know you are doing well with it BaB
I was planning to continue with s and s until my packs run out but adding in food on a gradual basis , but its good to hear you manage to do the running with the calorie intake , I think I will just have to play it by ear and see how I feel , until I start its difficult to know how Ill cope

Week 1 Day 1

Ok just done Day 1 of week 1

I got as far as 12 minutes out of 30
because Im using a manual treadmill , its permamnently on an incline , so im walking /running uphill
I did the 5 minutes brisk walk to start with and already felt like my heart was going to burst out of my chest
into the first 60 second run and after 30 seconds my left leg was starting to hurt at the knee
you then do a 90 second walk , 30 second run and so on until youve completed 30 minutes

I got as far as the third 30 second run

Its embarrassing how unfit I am , but I really couldnt do anymore, I got off feeling dizzy and like I want to vomit and it took a good 5 minutes for my heart rate to go back to normal

so I think Ill be stuck on the first week for at least 2 weeks , but at this point in time , just finishing the first 30 minutes seems like an impossible challenge

However , its a gradual process and I cant feel defeated at the first hurdle , I havnt done any exercise for many many years so its hardly a surprise

Hi Phoenix, my first attempt was a disaster then the girls over on the c25k thread told me to jog very slowly. I always run on an incline as it's supposed to mimic outside conditions.
Keep trying & take it as slow as possible, you will get there. By the end of a week & half I had completed week 1 & increased my speed thanks to the c25k thread.
Good luck xo

Sent by Mrs Cupcake to be <3

Thanks cupcake i think thats the one Ive posted on , in the exercise section , hoping to get some support there
I think I tried to go too fast for my first attempt , tomoro im definitely brisk walking it

Well done for attempting it Phoenix don't give up yet. I haven't been able to start as I'm poorly. But I have signed up for the new gym that opens near me on the 21st so hopefully that will help :)
The great wall is just a holiday I'm not doing the whole thing this time. But I am hoping to in the next couple of years. NAS do a charity hike along it to raise money and I really want to get involved in that .:)

Id love to do something like that again , will have to wait for my little one to grow up a bit

I didnt manage to get on the treadmill today , not becasue I didnt want to but Ive spring cleaned the house today and havnt stopped and just ran out of steam , at least I wasnt sitting on my butt I guess :)

I did this programme when i ws on Liporim and have never looked back!!! Its brill!!

Good luck!!

x

Thankyou :)
did 30 minutes brisk walking on it this morning
uphill at 4mph, certainly got my heart going
apparently burned 172 calories , definitely did not at any point feel the urge to jog
but it felt good and I might do it again later
at least this way i will be able to do it every day and not have to have rest days
and its burning cals and building up my fitness

I'll give it a go :) I am getting a treadmill soon so will be on board then

I've completed week 1

Week 2 commences tomorrow :)

Back