Couch to 5k

Thanks jan- I did it! Finished in 36.30 but my gps tracked me as finishing the 5k in 33.30 and covering 5.4 total so I'm happy! X

Well DONE! Outstanding effort! Where is your sponsorship link Eilidh? You deserve to give out a last call on that achievement!!!

And by then way everyone - I am also running Race For Life next Sunday 1st July. Also aiming for sub-30... My current average for 5K on a good day is hovering in the 27min

{sorry my post had just been edited / I have just been informed that we are not allowed to ask for sponsorship - there is a link to Race for Life in my signature}

Last edited:
Thanks anja-I'll pop onto yours when on laptop! Www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/eilidhpaterson

Sub 30 anja-woohoo! Everything crossed for you...maybe next year for me?!

What should I do about podcasts now?! Just do week 9 from now or go back to week 8?! X

Thanks anja-I'll pop onto yours when on laptop! Www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/eilidhpaterson

Sub 30 anja-woohoo! Everything crossed for you...maybe next year for me?!

What should I do about podcasts now?! Just do week 9 from now or go back to week 8?! X

I think do whatever you feel comfortable with! If you actually ran the whole race / 5K / 33 mins without walking then gently carry on like that. Otherwise go to a pattern that you can sustain. The overall rule to avoid injury is not to increase by more than 10% OVERALL every week. So for example from 3x5k you could go to 6+5+5 or 5.5+5.5+5.5 if you're measuring in distance. That;'s exactly what the last few weeks of pod-casts do, increase each week by about 10% in time.
I still have the odd day when I have this unavoidable need to walk at about 20 mins into it, and then I do, for about 20 metres, and that's all it took. It makes a minimal impact on my overall time - tough in a race I would be overtaken by dozens and dozens of competitors ;-)

You'll be running the sub-30 very soon I'm sure! This time last year I had still not even started my first run (though I had bought the shoes by now!) - so my advice is to be read with caution as I too am still a novice really! And I definitely don't think of myself as "a runner"!!

You're definitely in the "runner" category to me! I'll up it slowly-I managed to run the whole 36 mins the total race took, even with a semi sprint finish! Meant I was slow for the middle 2k but caught up with those who overtook me on the final hill as I kept plodding! I'll try Wednesday night then, my next chance to run! Get some music on and see if I can plod another 5k! X

Well done :D

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Jogged 5k tonight. Managed but slower pace than Sunday. Lovely boyfriend ran with me so I'll blame him for slowing me down, in reality I just couldn't push it!! I'll be aiming for consistent distances not speed for the foreseeable future and aiming to complete regular 5k distances irrespective of time. It's all got to help! X

Great stuff, well done!!

5k again tonight. 35.12, 90 seconds faster than Wednesday in the pouring rain tonight!!! I had a really sore hamstring after 1k though...but managed to continue :) who would ever have imagined I'd run 5k 3x in a week?!

Well done!! I only ran 4k yesterday in the heat... At least it should be cooler for the race on Sunday. Have a good weekend! Oh and look at your weight - I think you weigh less than me now (I've been too relaxed around food recently...)

Thank you :) I'm being strong as I go on holiday on Thursday and this holiday was the reason behind the whole diet! So I don't want to muck it up now! I know I won't be at target but I'll be smaller than I was! Good luck on Sunday-I'll need to get to minimins on the laptop asap! X

Also if I remember correctly you're a lot taller! I'm only wee :p x

I did it, I did it!

Thanks Eilidh! And thanks for the contribution!

So I ran RFL this morning. And I definitely did it in under 30 mins. Our course was exactly 5K and I passed the Finish line at 29 minutes on the official clock, but I don't think I passed the start before about 1 min had passed, unfortunately I was too busy paying attention to the people crowding around me that my brain did not register the figure as I passed the gate! My GPS also let me down, we were hanging around for such a long time that it went into powersave and I did not notice that when I stated it (for the same reason that I missed the official clock). So started it about 2 minutes / 300m in. For the first km we were crawling along at 7 min/k, it was impossible to run at my normal pace, even though I started quite near the front, there was just so much overtaking and dodging the first walkers. Anyway, it thinned out a bit after 5 mins and I settled into a comfortable pace and was overtaking people a lot lot more than overtook me :) - that's just very good for your motivation! Mostly ran my usual 5.3 pace, speeded up a bit to 5.1 for the last 500m or so. I recorded 4.69km in 25.5 minutes...

Start! rfl_start.jpg Finish! rfl_finish.jpg

So - thanks everyone I raised £135 for cancer research to date!

Next race: Chariots of Fire in September with a team from work! Welcome - Chariots of Fire

Late congratulations from me :) and oh wow am I jealous at how daisy fresh you look after running 5k :p :) WELL DONE ANJA xx

Back