Cough medicine = No Ketosis?

KittyB

Gold Member
Hey all,

I'm feeling really sorry for myself today :(
Have had a cold and cough over the weekend but it's gone onto my chest and I had to give in and take some broncial(sp?) mix rather than risk a chest infection. (I had similar in the summer that turned into a Pneumonia :( )

I'm worried that this will affect my ketosis? if so will it cause a weight gain or just a stall?
I've not eaten anything different (am on 790)

Love Kitty xxx

Hey Kitty - sorry to hear you are feeling rough. When we are ill is one of the times we turn to food to "comfort eat" to make ourselves feel better ..... but we don't do that anymore do we??? :)

I know how you feel - I have been there .... When I was doing LL (this time last year), I went down with a cough/cold in about week #4 and felt awful. I lasted as long as I could without taking anything, but my throat started feeling like I was eating razor-blades and eventually I started coughing blood. I went to the Docs and he said that I had ruptured a blood vessel in my throat (he dressed it up in Doc-Waffle, but that was the essence of it I think), and he gave me a right rollicking for taking nothing for it at all. Anyway, I will stop rambling and get to the point. After that I took some cough medicine, and it did indeed knock me out of ketosis. So I called the LL health line and they told me that if absolutely necessary I should use a cough medicine that is suitable for diabetics as this contains far far less sugars and nasties and is therefore less likely to affect ketosis. I think Robitussin is one such medicine.

I really do not know if this is correct or not, so please don't take it as gospel. I (luckily) have not had need to take anything since as I have been remarkably healthy with regard to coughs/colds etc even though everyone around me seems to be dropping like flies ..... (he says with fingers crossed)

Steve

Hey Kitty, I hope you feel better hun!! Not sure if it will affect your ketosis but I would be absolutely amazed if it caused a gain of any kind, just dont be worrying about it and do wat you need to do to get yourself better

Hiya,

Yes I think it will knock you out of ketosis, but really shouldn't make that much difference to your losses. Hope you are feeling better soon, and therefore have a bigger loss the week after.

Oh sugar I've been having medicine :(

Thanks sim94 :( bit worried now. I have been having it for the past few days and my mum bought me some lemon and honey beechams this morning, had a good few spoonfuls since until I thought "ahh this prob has loads of sugar in"

Worried I'm knocked out of ketosis now :(

Thanks for looking sim xx

Ello ello,

Funny you should say that Sonya whilst hunting for some answers (silly enough after I'd had medicine) I saw mentioned cough mixtures etc for diabeties. Not seen any before mind you x

Thanks sim94 :( bit worried now. I have been having it for the past few days and my mum bought me some lemon and honey beechams this morning, had a good few spoonfuls since until I thought "ahh this prob has loads of sugar in"

Worried I'm knocked out of ketosis now :(

Thanks for looking sim xx

I've heard Beechams is just flavouring and paracetamol, Why not try the Sun Shine Orange water flavouring with some Paracetamol.

Remember to stick to the recommended amount of Paracetamol only.

If you are out of Ketosis the answer is water, water and water.

CDC

lovely jubbly, I'm gonna give that a go thanks for the advice!

Can't believe I didn't think of it before, just been focusing on being "anti food and bad drinks" :)

Oh well, learn from mistakes and all.

:thankyou: much appreciated

Why hadn't I heard of this forum AGES ago!

lovely jubbly, I'm gonna give that a go thanks for the advice!

Can't believe I didn't think of it before, just been focusing on being "anti food and bad drinks" :)

Oh well, learn from mistakes and all.

:thankyou: much appreciated

Why hadn't I heard of this forum AGES ago!

Your welcome, hope you feel better soon.

CDC

Just ask for sugar free products...strepsils now have a sugar free one too. It came in a huge bottle too and was pretty cheap.

Hey Kitty!
I'm also bugged up with some lurgy virus! :sick: I make the Sunshine Orange or Summer Berry water flavouring into a hot drink, then add a Beechams powder! It's got a kinda cinnamon tang to it, so added with the hot fruity mug is just yummy!:coffee:
Cough syrups, and lots of other lozenges, can kick you out of ketosis, as they're mainly made from sugar, sugar, and more sugar! Even some of the capsules, and "easy to swallow" tablets, have a sugar coating on them!
The diabetic option is fab, as many others suggested earlier. As is balsalm tissues, and a tub of Vasaline for your nose!!! Hope you feel better soon!

Back