COUNT OR NOT TO COUNT ANYONE??

Hey everyone I am a previous slimming world member when I was 17 I lost 6 stone through the red and green plans but now I'm 21 and have gained 4 stone back I've a wedding in aug and I am hoping to get the 4 stone off I was wondering if any of you lovely people on here would have a tips or advice for me to help get this 4 stone off by then also I had a lot of success with calorie counting before any was really interested if anyone else calorie counts aswell as doing slimming world ?? And do any of you watch portions sizes?? Portion is a big problem for me as I tend to overeat :( any help and advice would be brill thankyou xxx

Hey hun - I kind of do calorie count but don't focus on them, it's more an offshoot of the fact I use my fitness pal to log my diary. And you know what? Every single day I have been under my calorie goal without even trying. Every single one. And that's only since I've been doing SW. The focus with SW is eating the right foods and the fact that it's such a healthy diet means you can eat loads (I do!) and just not have a huge amount of Cals.

I'd say get back on SW and if ur keen to keep an eye on calories do something like MFP but stick at SW. does that make sense? X

Yes hun that makes a lot of sense thanks for the reply I'm the type of person that is unsure about everything and how to get the best out of what I am doing what plan do u do mostly? I've been told certain ones are better than others for weightloss?? lol xxx

I use my fitness pal a couple of days each week just to check and its always about right :)

I use MFP as my food diary as the SW online one is so cr@ppe and I find if I follow the plan the calories look after themselves. If youre deciding between calories control and SW Id go for SW every time, it does the job for you and at the same time makes sure you eat healthily and you never go hungry :)

I don't calorie count - i've tried it before, did it just before SW and i just found it got obsessive. I used to get really frustrated at the amount of calories in healthy things and what i couldn't have because i'd go over my calories etc, even if i'd exercised. I just ended up frustrated and trying to save calories so that i had them incase i was hungry etc etc. Believe in SW and it will work for you, if and when it stops working then look at what you may or may not need to change.... It's just another added pressure imo. But that's just me :)

I don't think you need to as you'll find that you don't eat many calories when you're on plan anyway, but it's always nice to know that you're within an allowance if you need a more rigid plan... I must admit that the SW plan is a little bit too 'free' for me and so I have to keep a check... but that's just me!! x

I don't count calories - I just do the slimming world plan! Works for me! :)

My C always says in class, SW is, essentially, calorie counting but much more fun (ie, more food and no effort on our part). I always think of that if I'm tempted to calorie count. :)

I don't count as such but I do think abt it. E.g. I would think B/F Weetabix & Skimmed Milk abt 300, L - Homemade Chilli & Rice abt 450, Dinner - fish, homemade chips and veg abt 450, Snack - 2 small kiwi abt (100) yogurt (70), 15 syns (300). Total = 1670.
I don't measure anything to know calories exact.but just think abt it.:)

Also if I go out with friends and fancy a slice of cake I might think "yeah that's probs extra 15 syns (300 cals) but least I am eating healthy rest.of time" Slimming World is now a way of life for me and my husbAnd. We always do skinny chips, skinny roasties, trim fat off meat before cooking, use fry light, buy a ridiculous amount of fruit and veg in the shop etc etc so I think going over isn't too bad :)

Long time lurker here but wanted to post on this one.

I started SW at the end of November and in 8 weeks have only lost 6.5lbs (slow isn't the word - am seriously thinking of giving up).

So just out of interest I put my last few days food into mfp and each day it was coming in at around 1500 cals instead of the 1200 that mfp says I should be on.

To be honest I don't think I'm overeating, in fact my C says he thinks I'm not eating enough.

Yesterdays menu for example:

Green day

B - 35g shredded wheat bitesize, 60g wholemeal bread and spread (2 x HEB +2 syns)

L - 3 egg omelette with mushrooms and onion and a squirt of ketchup (1 syn) and a mullerlight

D - portion of pasta with 70g Philly light (HEA) and a mullerlight

S - 4 kiwis, 1 apple, options hot choc (2 syns)

375ml of skim milk used through the day (HEA)

all of that comes to 1518 cals - no wonder I'm not losing weight!!

I think you do need to be calorie aware, particularly if you tend towards large portions (presumably that's all of us or we wouldn't be here!) Personally, I think I have too many calories a day which is why I'm not really losing any more. It's ok at the beginning when you have a lot to lose, but I still find it hard to judge eating until 'satisfied rather than stuffed' and to leave food on my plate. So, I'd suggest that as you have a specific date you need to have lost weight by to follow SW but keep an eye on your calories as it's very easy to eat more than you should in a day as the previous poster mentioned.

Calorie awareness is really only important if you have less than 1 stone to lose. That final stone can be a nightmare if you are overeating by even 100 calories a day. In a month you could actually put on a pound. If you have lots to lose enjoy the freedom of SW and the weight will come off.

I started SW at the end of November and in 8 weeks have only lost 6.5lbs (slow isn't the word - am seriously thinking of giving up).

So just out of interest I put my last few days food into mfp and each day it was coming in at around 1500 cals instead of the 1200 that mfp says I should be on.

To be honest I don't think I'm overeating, in fact my C says he thinks I'm not eating enough.

Yesterdays menu for example:

Green day

B - 35g shredded wheat bitesize, 60g wholemeal bread and spread (2 x HEB +2 syns)

L - 3 egg omelette with mushrooms and onion and a squirt of ketchup (1 syn) and a mullerlight

D - portion of pasta with 70g Philly light (HEA) and a mullerlight

S - 4 kiwis, 1 apple, options hot choc (2 syns)

375ml of skim milk used through the day (HEA)

all of that comes to 1518 cals - no wonder I'm not losing weight!!

I eat around 1500 cals a day (sometimes around 1300 but never any less) & have lost 3 st on SW. I always follow Extra Easy.
Looking at what you are eating I agree with your Consultant somewhat. You aren't eating enough of the right foods. Have you tried replacing your pasta with WM pasta - it keeps you fuller for longer, or reducing the amount of pasta by 1/3rd and eating some vegetables with it? This will keep you just as full for less calories. Similarly, you could replace your muller light at lunch with some fruit or veg - more filling for less calories. Or have a 2 egg ommlette, and add some mushrooms or peppers to it.

For breakfast, try having 1 HEB, not 2, and have some fruit with it instead. Then you can keep your 2nd heb for later on in the day, if you want it.

There's a theme here.....

You are not overeating, if anything you are UNDEReating, your C is right. Go and read the MFP again - 1200 calories is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM you should be eating per day.

Ive only had about 700 cals so far today for brekky/snacks and when I hit Save it says:
"*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum."

I also agree with Kingleds - youre not eating the right stuff, theres nowhere near enough fruit & veg in there. Just mushroom, onion and a couple of bits of fruit is seriously inadequate. Youre stuffing your body with carbohydrates and pretty much nothing else, you need the fruit & veg for nutrients and fibre and above all to fill you up!

I have on average around 1800 calories a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. On a weekend I have a day off and it adds up to around 2800.

1500 is OK, depending on how much you have to lose, but you are very definitely NOT OVEReating. Take more care of yourself x :)

I have both my HEB's at breakfast otherwise I end up not using them - the reason I do red/green is because I can't eat the quantities of fruit and veg to do EE as it irritates my stomach and makes me ill.

MFP definitely states that I should be on 1200 cals per day - any more than this and it goes into a minus figure so it's not saying that 1200 is the minimum I need - when I press save it tells me that if everyday was like today then in 5 weeks I would weigh 144lbs which is more than I weigh now!!

My pasta is WM and I only had 60g of it so if I reduced it by a third there'd be no point in having it at all!

I'm with everyone else on this I don't think you're eating enough fruit and veg. And I sympathize with it giving you stomach ache I suffer quite badly with IBF and cannot eat too much fruit and veg in a day, or too much food thats very high in fibre as it leaves me in absolute agony for the next day, sometimes couple of days if I eat too much.

I'd like to share a couple of tips, and hope you find them helpful. Maybe try cutting up a little tomato and cucumber to go with your pasta if you're having it cold? I also always have grapes in the fridge and have some of these with my breakfast and lunch and then snack on them in the evening if I need to be. I have a very sensitive stomach due to the IBF however since being back on the plan find that its much better now then it ever was and I eat fruit or veg with every meal just a little of it, if I over do it I know about it so I just don't over do it.

I didn't think I'd be able to eat enough fruit and veg to do EE but previously lost nearly 2st doing all EE days and have been back on SW for three weeks and have lost 8lbs already again all on EE days so it is doable without having to give your self stomach ache.

I have both my HEB's at breakfast otherwise I end up not using them - the reason I do red/green is because I can't eat the quantities of fruit and veg to do EE as it irritates my stomach and makes me ill.

MFP definitely states that I should be on 1200 cals per day - any more than this and it goes into a minus figure so it's not saying that 1200 is the minimum I need - when I press save it tells me that if everyday was like today then in 5 weeks I would weigh 144lbs which is more than I weigh now!!

My pasta is WM and I only had 60g of it so if I reduced it by a third there'd be no point in having it at all!

First of all, 6.5lbs in 8 weks is not low, especially judging from your height and weight. Between 1 and 2 lb a week is what you should aim for and that's roughly what youve got. And looking at your stats you're not very overweight. I appreciate you want to lose some as thats why your ehere, but you dont need to lose stones and stones. At 5' 4" and 10.5 stone, 6.5lb in 8 weeks is a very good weight loss for someone with very little to lose and I don't think you should be wanting it to go any faster. :)

Secondly, you've said you don't think you're overeating and that your C thinks you're not eating enough. Go with what your C says. You asked for a little bit of advice and people have given you their opinions, its up to you whether you want to take it on board, or not. I appreciate you don't know any of us from Adam so have no reason to believe what we suggest, so all I can I suggest is listening to what you C says as s/he is the expert.

Finally about the MFP site - I think you've got a bit confused how it works. Its giving you a minus number because you've got it set to have your goal as 1200 calories a day, so every time you eat even one calorie more than that it will calculate that as going beyond the 1200 calories ie a negative number. That does NOT mean 1200 is the amount you SHOULD be eating - the amount of calories a day you set is up to you and depends what you tell it in your profile (your height/weight, amount of exercise you do, how much you want to lose per week). Ive just typed your height/weight in and told it I want to lose 1 lb a week and it says that sort of person should be eating:

Nutritional goals Target
Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,570 Calories / Day
Carbs / Day 216 g
Fat / Day 52 g
Protein / Day 59 g

If you go into your Profile you can tell it how much you're aiming to lose a week and it will set numbers for you. (The 'Recommended' is 1 lb a week btw, so youre pretty much bang on schedule).

But it will never tell you to eat any less than 1200 calories a day, no matter what numbers you type in for exercise, desired weight loss etc, as that is the MINIMUM amount any healthy adult should be eating.

To see this, when you click "Complete This Entry" read the small print next to the asterisk under the "If every day were like today..." bit. If you are less than 1200 calories it will tell you what I posted above, every time. Here you go:

6801783379_0b3e1dcdbf_o.jpg

Like I said that DOESN'T mean you SHOULD be eating 1200 calories a day. Its just showing you a negative number as you happen to have set your target at 1200 calories a day yourself by the data you have put in, which might not necessarily be realistic.

Good luck, hope it goes well, x :)

I just joined MFP out of interest to see what calories it recommends for me... slightly depressing reading, lol. To lose a pound a week, doing 30 mins exercise twice a week (which is my minimum - occasionally I do a bit more), I need to eat 1,260 calories a day. And the only way I can increase my losses any higher than 1.1 pounds a week (I get to eat a whole 1,200 cals for that, lol) is by increasing my exercise.

No wonder I'm struggling more now I'm closer to target. :rolleyes: Better get down to the gym more often! :D

Back