Counting carbs?

Tracyx

Silver Member
Obviously on a VLCD we have to keep our carbs low to stay in Ketosis but when counting carbs do we use the total carbs or total carbs minus the fibre?

I was just looking at the Dietimeal bars which are 15g carbs and 2g Fibre so do we could them as 15g of carbs or 13g?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm just trying to work out if I can squeeze a bar into my plan without being kicked out of ketosis :D

Thanks

Last edited:
I know on Atkins it's net carbs but on a VLCD I usually try to keep the whole lot under 60 as it's not like you can have more food if you kick yourself out and get hungry. Depends on the level at which you as an individual will get kicked out of Ketosis really. I think I'd be more concerned about the number of calories in a Dietisnack bar tho - aren't they like 170 - 200? That's an awful lot for a snack on a VLCD. On my VLCD the meals are only around 130 calories.

The dietimeal bars on lowcarbmegastore look exactly the same as the ones I get on Slim and Save. The flavours are all the same, they have all the same meals and shake flavours so I can only assume they are the exact same thing I get as meal replacement. And they are part of Slim and Save diet which is a VLCD so I think they would be ok to add as a meal. Not dietisnack though- they are different, thay are snack bars judging from the content.

Sorry girls that's my fault for not being clearer I meant the Dietimeal "Choc Trufa" meal replacement bars as I'm doing W8 but our own bars are "out of stock" at the minute so I'm looking for a replacement,

On W8 we get to eat 4 mealpacks a day which depending on the variety are 135cals / 10-11g in carbs so I was thinking of swapping one for a Dietimeal bar as they are also 135cals but they have 15g of carbs so I was just worried about the extra 4g of carbs in the bar :(

If I have 4 of my W8 mealpacks + my milk allowance then i'm having 640cals + 56g of carbs.

If I have 3 W8 mealpacks + a Dietibar + my milk allowance then I'd still be having 640cals but 60g of carbs.

I think it should be ok as W8 actually allow you to have 4 mealpacks + milk + one of their own snackbars which is 790cals & 69g carbs (so much higher) so i suppose the only way to know for sure would be too try it and see :(

Tracyx

Last edited:
The choc trufa bars are what I have on Slim and Save. They do say you can only have one bar a day but they are an integral part of this VLCD so I should think they would be ok to have? Have a look on Slim and Save website maybe and compare the one on lowcarbmegastore with the ones there, I'm certain they are the same.

Thanks Minimoosh I'm sure someone on the Slim & Save thread said they are the very same bars, they are just cheaper to buy from the low carb megastore x

I'm making my next order from there! The meals are the same too, and the shakes. I think I'll save a bit now I know which ones I like (I ordered a weeks supply from s+s with one of each flavour for sampling!)

Yes, they are the same. Some of the S&S shakes are different and so is the tomato soup but the 'original' shakes (4 flavours), bars, soups (other than tomato), porridge and meals (spag bol and cottage pie) are the same as the Dietimeal products. I'm not sure about the chilli and whether it's the Proti chilli meal or not as Dietimeal do not currently do a chilli. All of these products are made by the same company (Bariatrix) and packaged in plain white packages and then marketed by different companies as different things / diets. Avidlite and UK Dietworld are other companies that sell them. I usually trawl around and see what's the cheapest option for the products I want, factoring in postage. Lowcarbmegastore usually comes out on top especially if you spend over £75 as it's free delivery.

Yes, they are the same. Some of the S&S shakes are different and so is the tomato soup but the 'original' shakes (4 flavours), bars, soups (other than tomato), porridge and meals (spag bol and cottage pie) are the same as the Dietimeal products. I'm not sure about the chilli and whether it's the Proti chilli meal or not as Dietimeal do not currently do a chilli. All of these products are made by the same company (Bariatrix) and packaged in plain white packages and then marketed by different companies as different things / diets. Avidlite and UK Dietworld are other companies that sell them. I usually trawl around and see what's the cheapest option for the products I want, factoring in postage. Lowcarbmegastore usually comes out on top especially if you spend over £75 as it's free delivery.

I think you are correct in your last sentence BG. I've had the calculator out on various sites and LCM seems to outdo the others on price for the Full Meal Replacement sachets and the bars (thanks to GSG for the bar prices!). There might not be the same choice range as Slim and Save and I've learnt my lesson on their dietimeal tomato soup, truly dire no matter how I try to prep this one!

Last edited:
Back