Cous Cous Wraps

Something I got from class, It's been a total godsend as a replacement for bread. Apologies for the obscure measurements, I have a big tub of ainsley harriot cous cous that I use and these are measuremtns for "one cup"

~80ml Cous Cous
~80ml boiling water
1 egg
Baking sheet and greaseproof paper

Oven @ 180C
add the water to the cous cous and allow to cool
add the egg and combine
paper on tray, flatten the mix onto the paper and spread in a rough circle
5mins in the oven and you're done.

No they are not free - they have a small syn value. most around half a syn per 100g cooked weight. Check out the syn values subforum for details.

By the way, I reckon this recipe would fall under the food abuse ruling and you would need to syn the cous cous as you are using it as a flour substitute.

I would say the same thing as Circes, it's probably classed as food abuse and should be synned.

yes these wraps will definately be synned, as you are using couscous in place of flour in a recipe.

so would be 5 syns for every 28g of dried couscous used.

Slimming World never anticipated members being so creative, but basically when ever we use free foods to make something that isn't a free food (like cakes, bread, crisps etc) it goes into the "misuse of free foods" category. Slimming World's advice is that free ingredients then have to be synned when used in that way, which is all rules set to protect our losses. There has to be some restriction otherwise the creative among us would be coming up with all kinds of things and then really we wouldnt be following the plan set out to us by slimming world, we would be tweaking the plan to get back in all the foods that are not free. iykwim

If you are just going to have these as part of a filling meal with plenty of superfree, then you will possibly be okay, although Slimming World I am sure will still say they need to be synned.

It is something to be aware of if you notice your weight slows down or stops coming off as this would be the first culprit to look at.

Food abuse? That's ridiculous, never heard of it. SW themselves have recipes for cakes etc using scan bran and weetabix etc and there is no mention of food abuse? Surely so long as you stick to the rules and count the syns and eat 1/3 SF foods on EE etc then it's all legitimate?!?!?!

squash&squeeze said:
Food abuse? That's ridiculous, never heard of it. SW themselves have recipes for cakes etc using scan bran and weetabix etc and there is no mention of food abuse? Surely so long as you stick to the rules and count the syns and eat 1/3 SF foods on EE etc then it's all legitimate?!?!?!

Using weetabix or scan bran is fine because those foods are not free so you are limited to how much you can have. Couscous is free so when you use it in that way, it can easily be over consumed.

If you look in your syns guide you will see clearly that couscous is synned when used as a substitute for flour, the same with some other ingredients.

It isn't ridiculous, it is a sensible rule set by slimming world to protect our losses. Of course it is up to each individual as to whether they want to stick to the plan 100%, but it is worth bearing in mind if you ignore slimming worlds advice then you won't be on plan and how many tweaks do we really want to make just so we can get certain foods back into our diet? All the little tweaks add up and do eventually hinder your losses.

Last edited:
Hmm fancy that I hadn't heard of food abuse as a term before but I suppose that it must come under the same sort of thing as apple not being free when stewed

I asked about these couscous wraps at group this week and they are free it is the same principal as using the smash base for a pizza... It only becomes syns if you grind it to use as flour, apparently it is the way your body digests it that changes the value

Back