Couscous cake recipe Which is best?

Blimey. You can't win, if you don't use the search feature people complain, so when people do use it and save a duplicate thread, people complain about that too.

/shrug. I would hate to be new on here, it's so confusing!!

Blimey. You can't win, if you don't use the search feature people complain, so when people do use it and save a duplicate thread, people complain about that too.

/shrug. I would hate to be new on here, it's so confusing!!

I agree with the above. People will be scared to post if we aren't careful!

Sorry - I didn't know I was going to cause any offence by what I said. I wasn't complaining, I was just warning people to be careful about taking as 'gospel' posts which are a bit older and are about slightly more contentious things such as couscous cake etc.

I really didn't think my post was offensive at all

I made the mincemeat one and really did enjoy it, so need to ensure you use enough sugar or else it's a wee bit bland.

REALLY confused here guys, please help. :cry:

I am on EE, so if couscous is a free food, what difference does it make if you make a cake out of it (as above not ground down) as against using as a side dish with a piece of meat?

If you ate a piece of meat and some salad and had a piece of the cake as a dessert wouldn't it all work out the same?

confused.dot.com :p

It's the whole concept of not using food as it was intended to be used. You can technically eat the whole cake for very little syns, however, when you work out the calories of the cake it's a lot, so very easy to overconsume.
It's the old "food abuse" debate with this but the advice is such that if you eat it and lose weight well then it's not a problem, if your losses are slow then stop.

It's the whole concept of not using food as it was intended to be used. You can technically eat the whole cake for very little syns, however, when you work out the calories of the cake it's a lot, so very easy to overconsume.
It's the old "food abuse" debate with this but the advice is such that if you eat it and lose weight well then it's not a problem, if your losses are slow then stop.

Thanks Jaylou I did ask the consultant last night but she has never heard of it!!

I was thinking that it would be better to have a slice of this rather than a chocolate eclair or eccles cake which is my norm when I fancy cake.......I am not the type to eat the whole cake in one hit. :p

REALLY confused here guys, please help. :cry:

I am on EE, so if couscous is a free food, what difference does it make if you make a cake out of it (as above not ground down) as against using as a side dish with a piece of meat?

If you ate a piece of meat and some salad and had a piece of the cake as a dessert wouldn't it all work out the same?

confused.dot.com :p

Couscous is free, except for when used as a substitute for flour, which it is in this cake. The same applies to other grains/pulses etc. Like quinoa, chickpeas etc.

They are a free food when eaten as part of a meal. But when you use them in place of flour, that is when they become syns.

It actually states it clearly in the basic syns guide too.

Couscous is free, except for when used as a substitute for flour, which it is in this cake. The same applies to other grains/pulses etc. Like quinoa, chickpeas etc.

They are a free food when eaten as part of a meal. But when you use them in place of flour, that is when they become syns.

It actually states it clearly in the basic syns guide too.

I'm sorry but I REALLY don't get how eating them in a cake is any different to eating as a side dish.

For instance I have just had salad with eggs and ham, instead of having potatoes or couscous as a side dish I am having it as a slice of cake, a dessert if you will.

The couscous cake has turned out to be quite "wet"inside although it has been in the oven forever. :cry:

Is this normal?

I'm sorry but I REALLY don't get how eating them in a cake is any different to eating as a side dish.

For instance I have just had salad with eggs and ham, instead of having potatoes or couscous as a side dish I am having it as a slice of cake, a dessert if you will.

Because you are substituting flour in a cake recipe with couscous.

As I said anytime you use couscous or a similar grain pulse in place of flour in a recipe it has to be synned.

Have a look at your basic syns guide, it is stated clearly under couscous. That it is synned when used as a substitute for flour.

Also when you eat cous cous as part of meal, it includes your 1/3 superfree. Eating couscous which has been used to make a cake, doesnt do this at all and can easily be over consumed.

SW make the rules to protect our losses. It is up to the individual as to whether they want to be 100% or not, but just be aware that you are not following the SW diet if you choose to make it without synning.

If you ate cous cous cake before you started SW then I would say go ahead. The chances are you didn't and are therefore using food in a way it wasn't intended. Making it into a cake makes it far more calorific than if you had eaten it as it was intended as a part of a balanced meal. Measure out 45gms of cous cous which is a portion as recommended in the recipe books, I doubt you could make a cake with so little and would therefore eat a lot more. If you have only just started SW then it is best to stick to the rules to see if it works for you x

I appreciate all the replies, I actually made the cake with 4oz of couscous, ate less than 1/2 a slice, didn't really like it to be honest.........so not much harm done. :D

Got everything in to make teh 1st one may do this later today x

Hi ladies/Gents

I made this years ago and am so glad i found this thread, I have just started again after 4 years.

Anyway with regards to the debate on whether its free or not i think that it is free if you go by this recipes i just found on there site as it is a baked coucous meal with chilli. Which is free and as far as i can see its got the same concept as a cake. Recipe is:

227g/8oz pre-cooked couscous
4 medium eggs, beaten
227g/8oz fat-free natural fromage frais
2 tbsp freshly chopped chives
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large courgette
2 baby aubergines
142ml /¼pt vegetable stock
397g/14oz can chopped tomatoes with garlic
½ - 1 tsp hot chilli powder
fresh chives to garnish

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Soak the couscous according to the directions on the packet, and then place in a mixing bowl.

2. Stir in the eggs, fromage frais, chives and plenty of seasoning. Mix well and transfer to a small non-stick baking tin lined with baking parchment. Press down well and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until frim and lightly crushed. Stand for 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile make the sauce. Trim and finely dice the courgette and augbergines and place in a saucepan with the stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, chilli powder to taste and seasoning. Bring to the boil and simmer for a further 5 minutes until thick and tender.

4. Cut the couscous into wedges and serve with the sauce, garnished with fresh chives and sprinkled with more ground black pepper if liked.

Please let me know what you think
Nikki xx

nikci28 said:
Hi ladies/Gents

I made this years ago and am so glad i found this thread, I have just started again after 4 years.

Anyway with regards to the debate on whether its free or not i think that it is free if you go by this recipes i just found on there site as it is a baked coucous meal with chilli. Which is free and as far as i can see its got the same concept as a cake. Recipe is:

227g/8oz pre-cooked couscous
4 medium eggs, beaten
227g/8oz fat-free natural fromage frais
2 tbsp freshly chopped chives
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large courgette
2 baby aubergines
142ml /¼pt vegetable stock
397g/14oz can chopped tomatoes with garlic
½ - 1 tsp hot chilli powder
fresh chives to garnish

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Soak the couscous according to the directions on the packet, and then place in a mixing bowl.

2. Stir in the eggs, fromage frais, chives and plenty of seasoning. Mix well and transfer to a small non-stick baking tin lined with baking parchment. Press down well and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until frim and lightly crushed. Stand for 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile make the sauce. Trim and finely dice the courgette and augbergines and place in a saucepan with the stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, chilli powder to taste and seasoning. Bring to the boil and simmer for a further 5 minutes until thick and tender.

4. Cut the couscous into wedges and serve with the sauce, garnished with fresh chives and sprinkled with more ground black pepper if liked.

Please let me know what you think
Nikki xx

It would make sense for this recipe to be free because you still have your third superfree in the sauce and it's a meal. Cake you would have as a snack without the superfree.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Just finished my one I cooked sunday, as I was out all day monday I took it with me to hospital to nibble breakfast & lunch. Turned out quite tasty with the apple and pumpkin pie spice and almond esscense. What about carrot with orange esscense!? I wonder.

Back