Couscous........

1. Good source of protein
2. low in Fat
3. Good source of energy
plus it's tasty & versatile apparantly.

Don't eat it myself lol

It is basically tiny grains of pasta, so same nutritional content- high carbohydrate, low fat. Just don't add loads of oil like they do in recipes and add lots of free flavour to make it more interesting (stock, herbs, sultanas, spice, chopped veg, etc)

xxx

Thanks very much - I do love it - I make loads of cakes with it but I was concerned it wasn't that good for you. Cheers :)

I make up some plain couscous, add chopped spring onions, seasoning, mushroom stalks, anything else I fancy, use this mix to stuff large mushrooms, put some cheese on the top, then bake. Very quick, very filling, free (plus hexa for the cheese, obviously).

I do like couscous, but bulgar wheat is better for you as it's a whole grain and sustains you for longer! I actually prefer the texture of it- a bit meatier if that makes sense!! Use it the same way as couscous by adding bits of veg and stock! I made a nice dish of it using chargrilled veg and quorn style chicken!

Bulgar wheat is lovely and chewy. I did have a SW recipe once - lost it now but it doesn't matter as the quantities are not critical. You soak bulgar wheat in boiling water in the usual way, then mix in halved clementine segments, pomegranate seeds, and finely chopped mint and parsley (fresh, not dried), and seasoning. If you like you can add chopped feta cheese to that.

Although this is very simple, it tastes much more complicated than it is, and in the summer I have it quite often. It is quite delicious, and very good for you.

Back