Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Caza, 15 December 2009.

1. Caza

Caza Well-Known Member

Is this good for you - I know it's free on a green day, but IS it good for you?:confused:
  2. Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel Starting again!!

1. Good source of protein
    2. low in Fat
    3. Good source of energy
    plus it's tasty & versatile apparantly.

Don't eat it myself lol
  3. cocktailprincess

cocktailprincess Still rockin' it

It is basically tiny grains of pasta, so same nutritional content- high carbohydrate, low fat. Just don't add loads of oil like they do in recipes and add lots of free flavour to make it more interesting (stock, herbs, sultanas, spice, chopped veg, etc)

4. Caza

Caza Well-Known Member

Thanks very much - I do love it - I make loads of cakes with it but I was concerned it wasn't that good for you. Cheers :)
  5. avisk

avisk xx

I make up some plain couscous, add chopped spring onions, seasoning, mushroom stalks, anything else I fancy, use this mix to stuff large mushrooms, put some cheese on the top, then bake. Very quick, very filling, free (plus hexa for the cheese, obviously).
  6. Mel2

Mel2 Well-Known Member

Ooo that's a good idea. Off to the shop now tomorrow to buy some massive field mushrooms so i can have a go!! Thanks!
  7. funcurls

funcurls Never gets tired of SW!

I do like couscous, but bulgar wheat is better for you as it's a whole grain and sustains you for longer! I actually prefer the texture of it- a bit meatier if that makes sense!! Use it the same way as couscous by adding bits of veg and stock! I made a nice dish of it using chargrilled veg and quorn style chicken!
  8. Caza

Caza Well-Known Member

Never had bulgar wheat - something I must try! Thanks xx
  9. avisk

avisk xx

Bulgar wheat is lovely and chewy. I did have a SW recipe once - lost it now but it doesn't matter as the quantities are not critical. You soak bulgar wheat in boiling water in the usual way, then mix in halved clementine segments, pomegranate seeds, and finely chopped mint and parsley (fresh, not dried), and seasoning. If you like you can add chopped feta cheese to that.

Although this is very simple, it tastes much more complicated than it is, and in the summer I have it quite often. It is quite delicious, and very good for you.
  10. Mel2

Mel2 Well-Known Member

Oo that sounds lovely too! I do like bulgar wheat. Quinoa is nice too for a change.
  11. ilovelife

ilovelife Wishing and hoping!

i get flavoured medetrain tom couscous cook a pepper in the over and stuff it. also a sweet chilli stuffed is scrumptious
  12. Laurie

Laurie MM addict

where in the supermarket would you find Bulgar wheat ?
  13. Caza

Caza Well-Known Member

Bulgar wheat can be found alongside couscous, possibly on the same shelf
  14. Laurie

Laurie MM addict

15. avisk

avisk xx

Supermarkets vary in the way they set things out, but have a look where the dried pulses - lentils, beans, etc. - are, possibly near the rice and pasta.