cramp?

2010bride

Hey all

I had an awful awakening last night - i got cramp at 4.30 in the morning in my leg

It was terrible i woke up screaming and crying - my poor oh got a bad shock.

I was just wondering - could it be atkins that caused this? I haven't been watching my salt intake - I doen't generally add salt to my food but i have had lots of bacon and sausages so i thought my intake was ok.

I don't want it to happen again - any advice?

Where's our forum paramedic? Cheryl you're needed hun!
I'm sure she'll be able to answer that one for you hun x :D

This may explain a bit... I thought low salt levels can cause cramps... the New atkins book recommends, when drinking lots of water, having a bouillon drink to help keep your salt levels up. x

What are leg cramps?

Leg cramps are painful contractions of the muscle that happen involuntarily (i.e. without the athlete intending then to happen). Leg cramps affect most people who train hard, particularly running at some point and a common site for leg cramps is the calf muscles. The calf muscle group includes the gastrocnemius and soleus muscles.

Although the exact cause of leg cramps has not yet been successfully determined there are thought to be a number of possible causes including:
  • Dehydration (not taking on enough water, especially in hot conditions).
  • Low potassium or sodium (salt) levels.
  • Low carbohydrate levels.
  • Very tight muscles.
A bout of severe leg cramp may cause damage to the muscle. Fibres of the muscle may be torn due to the shear strength of the muscle contraction. If this happens the muscle will be painful for some time afterwards. It is essential the a full rehabilitation programme with sports massage treatment is undertaken to restore the muscle to it's original condition. The injury can be treated in the same way as a muscle strain.

•low carbohydrate levels....

ahuh thats us!

best keep up your water intake :D

Yup we need to keep our water levels up and maybe you could have a bit more salt on your food hun? That may help the cramps ;)

Hi babe im here. Sorry im at work tonight so catching up where i can. Cramp is a lack of sodium found in salt. It may be that due to you drinking lots of water you are flushing it out. Hope this helps. xx

You busy tonight hun? Sh*t working nights isn't it? Never mind, it'll be morning before you know it xx :D

Had a think hun and have come to the conclusion that you need to eat more bacon or cook with salt. If you put salt on your food it is easier to flush out of your system but foods that contain a higher salt volume and have it in the food (ie smoked bacon, its the only one i can think of at the mo) and take longer to flush out as it is in the gut and digested into the system rather than in the stomach and flushed out straight away with water. OR (another bright idea) drink diet tonic water as it has quinine in it which helps with cramps. I hope this makes sense, Im in work mode and know what i mean but if its rambled let me know. I really hope my 1st Drs thread has been helpful and i'd like to thank you for visiting Dr Cheryls clinic. Lol

hey sister, got a cure for spots? lol. got 2 on my chin. one was so painful i had to burst it. ewwwwww, never get spots. this atkins is sending me back to a teenager lol

I'm the opposite, back in my fit days in the Army I used to get cramp a lot, since Atkins I've never had it.

This was posted on the Atkins facebook page today.. thought it may help. xx

Induction, sodium, "Atkins flu" and you: tips for coping
Today at 15:38
A low-carb diet is naturally diuretic, flushing water and sodium and other electrolytes from your body. Signs that you might not be getting enough sodium include fatigue, light-headedness upon standing or with exposure to heat (in a hot shower, for example), weakness, chronic headaches, leg cramps and constipation.

Like fat, salt has been unjustly demonized. Yes, individuals who are sensitive to salt may experience bloating and high blood pressure if they eat large amounts. But these conditions are most pronounced when people eat a high-carb diet. Adapting to the low-carb state fundamentally changes how your system handles nutrients that might cause problems in a high-carb setting.

Drink Up
Don't wait to experience side effects. Eating the 12 to 15 grams of Net Carbs as foundation veggies and salting your food to taste may be enough to avoid them. However, clear soup definitely restores your sodium balance, stopping most symptoms in their tracks. Starting on Day 1 of Induction, drink a cup or two a day. Ideally, make your own chicken, beef or vegetable broth. Otherwise, use full-salt (not low-sodium) canned or tetra-pak clear soup. If you're going to exercise vigorously, drink your portion about an hour before.
NOTE: Do not follow this advice if you're taking diuretics or other medication for hypertension or congestive heart failure.

I dont im afraid Sis. Steam your face to open the pores and clense thoroughly. Thats all i can suggest. Sorry. If you pick it you can always put alcohol or aftershave on it if you can stand the sting, that dries it out quicker.

I dont im afraid Sis. Steam your face to open the pores and clense thoroughly. Thats all i can suggest. Sorry. If you pick it you can always put alcohol or aftershave on it if you can stand the sting, that dries it out quicker.
looks like i'm going to have to wear make up for the first time in my life on friday to try and cover it up when i'm out. :cry:

Put something on it to dry it out without squeezing it and this should reduce it. Tea tree is very good too. If you start now you might not need that make-up. Your beautiful without it...............how can you not when you look like me!!!!!

Put something on it to dry it out without squeezing it and this should reduce it. Tea tree is very good too. If you start now you might not need that make-up. Your beautiful without it...............how can you not when you look like me!!!!!
lmao. i squeezed it yesterday. now it has scabbed over but i picked it again. i am so not use to having spots!
my aim for the rest of the week is to leave it alone and exfoliate it in the bath on friday ready for my night out. if that dont work then im going to the diy store to get some polly filler!

Mix it with some foundation so its not such an in your face white colour though. I wouldnt want people seeing you like that thinking we're related!

Mix it with some foundation so its not such an in your face white colour though. I wouldnt want people seeing you like that thinking we're related!
hahaha, ok sis. going to the city tomorrow so will get some foundation. not sure what i'm looking for though. i was never in to make up like you were!!! lol :D

Back