Cramp

WOOOW... had really bad cramp in both my calf muscles at different times last night didnt get this last time! is it a coincidence??... :( both legs sore today

Hi ive read online that leg pain/cramps can be a symptom of a low carb diet. I remember I had it really bad when i done Atkins once x

Leg cramps at night are quite common and medical professionals aren't quite sure what causes them for some people. I've had them my whole adult life and have heard every theory in the book from a variety of medical professionals - too much walking, not enough walking, too much potassium, not enough potassium, too many carbs, not enough carbs, too much stress, too high shoes, too warm a bed, blah blah blah.

It will have occurred when you pointed your toes upon waking, I have no doubt. If you wake in the middle of the night try and get into the habit of NOT doing this. This is what brings on the awful pain. If it's too late, I find thumping on the calf muscle with a fist tends to help! For me I've learned to stop pointing my toes at all when I wake up, but it has taken me quite a long time!

It could be a coincidence that you've had these now, or it could not be - frankly I'd be shocked if you ever got a conducive answer from a doctor!

Hi Sandra, I have known a few other people experience leg cramps on LL especially at the beginning. 2 things seem to help, making sure you drink enough water and maybe adding a little salt to the shakes.
I hope it eases soon.:)

Maybe we've been around here too long hun !!:p

:) Thank you both xx I knew I would get a sensible answer, I am having 3 -4 L of water a day so will try to increase it, I dont really want to add salt as it can make you retain fluid that may slow weight loss, so thank you both for your help

4L a day should be enough - be careful not to overdo it!

Hey everyone, this forum never fails to amaze me. I've been having the same problem with calf cramps - and it happens when I point my toes in bed! Will try the odd bit of salt. I only manage about 2L of plain water a day, although I do have 3-4 mugs of decaf coffee. Is that too little? I'm already having to get up almost every night for the loo - wouldn't want to have to do that more often as it makes it so hard to get up in the morning!

so long as you're not thirsty 2L along with your coffee should be fine. The main thing is to keep hydrated. But just make sure you're consantly sipping water. I drink quite a lot of water even when I'm not on LL so used to the trips to the loo!
If you're still getting cramps, it can also be caused by low magnesium levels (nothing to do with LL. I used to get it lots when I was training for the marathon too) So you could take a suppliment if it's an ongoing problem. It's more likely to be carb withdrawl or dehydration though. Hope it goes away soon! And don't worry, the trips to the loo will reduce once you're body has got used to lovely clean, fresh water going through your system!

Thanks Rachel - support much appreciated. Much to my surprise (and contrary to popular believe about LL!) I feel so well on this and have had loads of comments about how well I look that the getting up is a price I'm very happy to pay. And of course the shedding of those unwanted pounds of fat is just fab!

Back