Cramp...

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by CJ_06, 2 November 2006 Social URL.

1. CJ_06

CJ_06 Full Member

I'm on day 4 of my VLCD and last night i woke up with awful cramp in my left calf muscle, is this a side effect of VLCD? :confused:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. magickmel

magickmel Loves VLCD's !

Diet:
    Lighter Life and now CD
    Exactly the same happened to me last night ! I put it down to the bedroom being cold as I hardly ever get cramp unless my legs get cold in the night. But I wonder if it might be a VLCD thing although I am on week 8 ?

4. Cavycrazy

Cavycrazy Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st3lb(1.71%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Have had that happen to me when I was on Atkins a few years ago, and put it down to the extra water was drinking and it washing away electolytes.

Touch wood havent had it happen with this diet yet!

Deb x

5. CJ_06

CJ_06 Full Member

Thanks everyone! If it keeps happening i'll add a pinch of salt! hehe

6. juju_doll

juju_doll juju_doll

Start Weight:
    21st1lb
    Current Weight:
    17st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st9lb(17.29%)
    Diet:
    Weight loss surgery/ 5:2
    How bizarre, because that exact same thing happened to me a couple of nights ago. Will try adding a pinch of salt.....

7. BurtBird

BurtBird Gonna be a 10!

Diet:
    Cambridge
    My CDC said this could happen.
    She said to try a glass of slimline tonic water before bed (but not the one with lemon or lime in)
    She said it works a treat!
    x

8. CW Consultant

CW Consultant Gold Member

This is a side effect of potassium loss and can be due to drinking too much water.

Rather than adding salt to the diet if you go to the chemist and ask for quinnine sulphate tablets they will help.

Slimline Tonic is good in an emergency its the quinnine in it that helps the cramps.

Linda

9. Gill-cdthing

Gill-cdthing Gone, but who cares huh

the quinine reallyhelps i was on it anyway before i started cd and i never had any cramps

10. lou49

lou49 Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    4st4lb(26.79%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Holland and Barrett Chelated Potassium 99mg one daily, preferably with a meal (!).I picked this up from a low-carb board when I low-carbed before and I have started taking it again othewise I get the cramp!
    Louise

11. nigew

nigew Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    This might help too

Cambridge FAQ Link

A few people are prone to cramp while using the Diet as their Sole Source of nutrition. It is not caused by the diet itself, but by the increased throughput of fluid in the body’s tissues. The muscle spasms result from changes in sodium levels as the water shifts between cells. The remedy for most people is to keep warm, whilst a drink of slimline tonic water just before bedtime may also help, as it contains quinine – as may "Crampex" tablets.

I hope this helps

Nigel

Find a CDC Link

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 3 November 2006
  12. Mini

Mini Administrator Staff Member

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st5lb
    Lost(%):
    1st9lb(9.13%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I found the tonic water good.

Too much water gives me cramps in my legs as well as the introduction of carbs too quickly:eek: :rolleyes:

13. CW Consultant

CW Consultant Gold Member

The level of quinnine phosphate for leg cramps is very low and should not pose a risk, however, pharmacists would advise accordingly and if there were any contraindications they would not let you have the product.

Linda

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.