Cravings took control!

Suesp8o

Hi

I have been following slimming world since August 2010 and so far lost about 3 stone. I have been having a difficult 6 months and am considering giving up slimming world for a while to remove the pressure and sort out my life before losing the last stone that I have to reach my target but don't want to put the weight back on.

I'm just feeling so frustrated with myself as I only lost 1/2 lb this week, dispute putting in lots of effort and following the plan most days. I caved in and binged on chocolate wednesday. I had about 50 syns in chocolate bars.

I'm annoyed at myself for doing it but am also wondering what is the point in putting all the effort in when I can't control my cravings.

How do you cope with cravings?

Thanks
Sue

i know what you mean about cravings but you just said yo binged on choc and you followed it MOST days ...to be having days you dont stick to plan and still having a loss i couldnt complain myself like.and im not being patronising im just putting it to you that the diet is meant to be followed all the time not most

at the diet is meant to be followed all the time not most

This is one of the reasons I am also thinking about giving up on the diet completely. I just can't keep to it and am fed up with going and either gaining or only losing a very small amount. I live alone and it takes a lot of my time to cook slimming world friendly meals.

it takes just as long to cook a pizza or go and wait for one tobe delivered mate...i thought like you give up and not long later i was heavyer than before you have done well its a rocky patch stick with it mate you went on the diet because you wasnt happy i presume so dont forget that

Hiya.
Congrats on losing 3 stone! That is a huge success and you must feel so much better for it. I totally understand how sometimes, your weight can seem like the least of your priorities. BUT, how frustrating would it be to come back and have to re-lose the weight you already worked so hard to lose? I know this from experience - I was going through such a bad time a while back, gave up on diet, and am now back heavier than ever. It's so frustrating.

Have you thought about getting some weight watchers ready meals in, these are generally quite low syn, and quick and easy. Tesco's have some good deals on these at the mo. Also, if you make a few big meals you can freeze it and just eat as you go.

I think it's important to try and follow it as best you can - you are almost at your target, only 14lbs to go!! it would be such a shame to waste all your hard work. Obviously this is just my opinion, I wouldn't want anyone to be in the position i'm in right now.

Coping with cravings is hard, I tend to really want something sweet and chocolatey. What I do is I put two chocolate alpen lights in the microwave just to soften and warm them, then I put a dollop of low fat creme fraiche, maybe some berries, and them some sweetner on top. It's lovely. Also meringue nests also settle my sweet cravings.

Try having green days - sometimes all you need is a plate of pasta as comfort food.

If you are feeling down, and things are going on that are out of your control, the one thing you CAN control is your weight and how you eat. You'd be so pleased you stuck with it.

Sorry, longest reply ever but I was in the exact same position, It took me forever to get back on it, and now i'm stones heavier than before!

You've worked so hard, don't waste it!!! hope things get better for you lovely. xxx

Thanks for the replies. I have just started a food diary and hope that the thought of sharing what I'm eating will stop me from losing control. I really enjoyed the new recipes I tried out this week and was really disappointed when I stepped on the scale.
Anyway, new day tomorrow. Going to prep some food ready for tomorrow before getting a good nights sleep.

If it a consolation I have been feeling the same. Trying to lose my last stone as lost 3 last year. It is hard and you have just inspired me to carry on as I am not on my own. Weigh in tomorrow will be a gain, I know as I have been naughty this week, but I am going and facing it!!
Good luck and carry on losing!!!
Julie x

I felt exactly like you did last year. I felt like I couldn't stick to the diet and had binge days where I ate ridiculous amounts of chocolate. I came off the diet and put on much more than I lost and I was only 10lb off target.

I'm now in the position where I'm seriously unhappy with my weight, the heaviest I've ever been and desperately trying to get it off. It seems to be taking a lot longer to come off this time.

We all have down times and it's great that you've picked yourself up and decided to carry on. Please don't be like me because you'll only end up regretting it later like I did. I find keeping a food diary really helps as does planning out my meals for the week.

For the cravings I have a "goody drawer" where everything in it is under 6 syns. Items in it are fun size choc, flumps, pink n whites and mikado. I also keep choc in the fridge to make it last longer. Oh and the good old curly wurly!

Sorry for long reply and hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Even if right now you struggle to control your cravings at times, surely your better off following slimming world when you can rather then giving up completely. If you follow it even loosely at least your not going to pile on as much weight as you would if you completely give up. You'll get to a point where you get back in it and stop giving into your cravings, there have been plenty of people at my group who this has happened to.

Surely loosing half a lb or maintaining while having little binges on chocolate (until you can start to control that) is much better then stopping slimming world and gaining

In my honest opinion the fact you had a bad day and endulged your cravings (which is exactly the right thing to do btw) and then got straight back to plan the day after is absolutely fine.

I guarantee if you had sat there and refused to eat the chocolate that day that sooner or later you would have really lost it and ended up on a 3 day bender.

We all have bad days occasionally and the best way to handle them is to have a treat and then get back to it the next day, by doing this you dont feel you missed out on something and more often than not 1 naughty day doesnt break a whole good week, what will is a series of bad days and not facing up to them.

Best of luck and you should be pleased with yourself for still having a loss!

i know what you mean about cravings but you just said yo binged on choc and you followed it MOST days ...to be having days you dont stick to plan and still having a loss i couldnt complain myself like.and im not being patronising im just putting it to you that the diet is meant to be followed all the time not most
Agree with that mind, if I've had a bit of a choc binge I'm just praying to lose 1/2 pound or something lol luckily I did get away with my one binge, dunno how, but I did and lost 2 pounds but I know I wouldn't get away with it every week so havnt had a binge since. I really don't know what to advise when people ask about binging cos obviously I have my own demons in that area. Managing not to on this plan as can eat so much free food anyway I don't feel too restricted
In my honest opinion the fact you had a bad day and endulged your cravings (which is exactly the right thing to do btw) and then got straight back to plan the day after is absolutely fine.

I guarantee if you had sat there and refused to eat the chocolate that day that sooner or later you would have really lost it and ended up on a 3 day bender.

We all have bad days occasionally and the best way to handle them is to have a treat and then get back to it the next day, by doing this you dont feel you missed out on something and more often than not 1 naughty day doesnt break a whole good week, what will is a series of bad days and not facing up to them.

Best of luck and you should be pleased with yourself for still having a loss!

Aww I agree with this too if you are really craving just have that one bar of choc then forget about it and be 100% on plan for the rest of the day and week.

Like for an example, last night my aunty brought some of my little cousins birthday cake in. It was an asda chocolate birthday cake so I looked on syns online and it was 12.5 syns per serving so I had half a serving!! Saved half for today I was so proud of myself for not binging on the full thing lol and stopping and saving the other half for today. So I suppose my point is, allow yourself controlled treats! If you deprive yourself then of course you will binge (that's what I'm telling myself and feel as if I'm learning not to binge on junk)

Could it be that you are getting complacent with the plan as you're so close to target now? Usually when we first join it's easy to stick to plan because it's new and exciting. After a certain amount if time it starts to become a chore. Think about alternating between the plans. I do green days and there is so much yummy comfort food that you can have which is on plan (can anyone say cheesy mash!).

I have a piece of chocolate everyday usually about 4 syns worth (fun size chocs) because I know that come 8pm each day I will get my chocolate I very rarely have choc binges. If fun size just won't do it I'll go to Tesco and get one of their choc eclairs, the one in a 4 pack is 7.5 syns and is so much more indulgent than a twix or some other chocolate bar.

You are so close now it would be a shame to pack it all in. Go trawl the recipe pages or google slimming world recipes, you'll soon find loads of fun new stuff to try and hopefully you'll be able to reinvigorate your passion for the plan.

Could it be that you are getting complacent with the plan as you're so close to target now? Usually when we first join it's easy to stick to plan because it's new and exciting. After a certain amount if time it starts to become a chore. Think about alternating between the plans. I do green days and there is so much yummy comfort food that you can have which is on plan (can anyone say cheesy mash!).

I have a piece of chocolate everyday usually about 4 syns worth (fun size chocs) because I know that come 8pm each day I will get my chocolate I very rarely have choc binges. If fun size just won't do it I'll go to Tesco and get one of their choc eclairs, the one in a 4 pack is 7.5 syns and is so much more indulgent than a twix or some other chocolate bar.

You are so close now it would be a shame to pack it all in. Go trawl the recipe pages or google slimming world recipes, you'll soon find loads of fun new stuff to try and hopefully you'll be able to reinvigorate your passion for the plan.

Are those choc eclairs the cream ones, might get my boyfriend to pick some up after next week (have to be very careful next week as it's my Birthday so may go a little off plan on Tuesday and at the weekend

Yep proper choux pastry and cream eclairs! They come in a 4 pack and are 150 calls each so 7.5 syns!

Back