Crazy life of Chilli

well the first promised not eggy, like bready chaffle was a lie! it tasted very eggy to me! the dog ended up having it.

I then tried the basic one from this webpage

As I'm using a bigger waffle maker than their mini dash, I mixed 3x the ammount (mine is 2x square) the recipe was for 1x small round one. but actually it was too much. so my slices are chunkier than they should be and took longer to cook. I'd say this one is a success! still not really 'like' bread but taste good and will be lovely with some melted cheese with onion and tomato, or even as a ham sandwich or something like that. You do taste the cheese in it which is nice but wouldn't necessarily go with every sandwich filling. But in any case I still have a new thing I can eat, and probably dunk in soup or have with other main meals :)

I'll experiment with quantities and other recipes. One suggestion I've read is for people who can't have eggs to use a 'flax egg'? flax seeds and water apparently I've never heard of it anyway. I wondered if that might make the other recipes taste better, but who knows.

So many of these online recipes promise the world but sadly fall over on delivery :D. But you've managed a success, which is fabulous. A friend who was doing keto liked the I breathe I'm Hungry recipes - https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/category/categories/recipes/special-diets/keto-recipes/

I'd be a bit careful with just flax and water, it bungs the system up (as I once found out!) and you need a lot of water to avoid problems of that sort :oops:.

Ooh thanks for the warning!

Well I used the panini press plates and made a toasted sandwich with melted cheese, spring onions and tomato. This was half of one chaffle, it was good. It doesn't look like much, but it's a lot more filling than bread, and now I still have a full chaffle to keep for tomorrow or freeze. I'd call it a success...

20210523_193451.jpg

I also had some nuts and dark chocolate today, so not a bad day foodwise.

it's a bit like the naan recipe I like - it doesn't really taste like naan but I like it. This doesn't really taste like bread, but I like it :)

All good and plenty of experiments to try.

I have a waffle maker I also use for sandwiches despite not having panini plates. It was a low cost one from Lidl. When I was carby, I'd do a flat bread (flour, water, salt) in my waffle maker - split open with tomato, cheese etc. I look forward to your definitive waffle/low carb bready substitute recommendations! And I'm definitely getting one of those all in one airfryer/baking/cooking things when budgets allow. Lead astray by you gadget queens here on Minimins.

morning all, I've been working out recently best routine here for regular walks, and I think I have a plan (mostly)

so now that I let son walk a little to school on his own its much easier than before to take the dog. Today I timed a loop on my way home 45 mins from leaving house, leaving son at crossing, then around a loop and home. So if I leave at 1440 to pick son up later and walk the same route in reverse, that'll be 2x45 min walks most school days. The days son is at his Dad's we'll take the opportunity to go further afield in the car sometimes and walk in other places. Happy Dog, Happy son, Happy me. This routine will work ok on my nightshifts as well if I commit to it. Weekends will be different and kind of depend on my kids, as will school hols.

I wore my new boots today and that went not too badly, but I mustn't tie them too tightly as I got pins and needles in my toes lol.

I had half decided to decorate the hall this week, but I'm still suffering from pain in my elbow/arm. I am debating just doing it slowly, perhaps only one wall this week. Usually I'd do ceiling and skirtings first but I'm planning a mixed paint effect with white and plum, so I think in order to get the paint looking right to the edges it will overlap both, so I think I'll change my usual order. One wall this week, next week probably nothing as I'll have my run of nights and then a bit more the week after. A marathon not a sprint. Not today tho, as I need to buy filler. I may look for a tennis elbow support. I'm a right mess with my sore feet and arm.

Pondering other plans. Not sure what I'm up to. Right now I'm having a lovely snuggle with my pup watching Game of thrones and drinking tea.

Lunch in a bit I'll probably have the other chaffle, undecided if I want to have a bolognese toastie (I've a pot made yesterday to divide up and freeze)... or cheese again like yesterday I'll decide in about an hour! I've also had an idea to use the toastie maker plates to make smaller triangular chaffles... I'll report back any experiments @AliGal, LadyF is the queen of the gadgets haha, I only have this 3 in 1 press and a slow cooker. I do secretly desire all of the gadgets though and I'm sure I'll buy a few more in time!

I might try my lunchtime chaffle open topped, pizza style hmmmm. Hamm, cheese, tomato and spring onion. I think I have a plan!

Right, best be off. Back later!

Happy to give gadget advice, i have tried/bought/sold quite a few of them and definitely have my favourites :).

I bought a strap on support brace from Amazon, and it has been brilliant - and not expensive either.

I've ordered a tennis elbow support, we will see if it helps. And for lunch I had a ham, cheese, tomato and spring onion toastie chaffle. Not sure yet about dinner. I've also had some dark choc.

Good to have the walking planned in. I'm barely exercising at the mo.

I'm in a lot of pain in my foot at the mo off and on, so I'm not sure if it's best to push on walking or not. Rest or move Not much seems to make a difference.

My new boots feel great during the walk, but if anything I'm in more pain afterwards? so I'm hoping that the increased arch is maybe stretching it out and it'll be sore before it gets better... that's probably wishful thinking lol. Anyway, I'll keep on for now.

I had my morning walk, then a funny little episode helping the local (well known) dog walker to get into the garden of her 1st walk of the day as they'd forgotten to unlock the gate before going to work. I see her there every day as I pass so I know it was legit when I found her attempting to climb a wall with a teeny ladder with her Mum trying to help 🤣 . I nipped in for my bigger ladder and the dog was liberated for her walkies. After that I walked down our high st, picked up my prescription cream at the chemist, peered in the fabric shop window (it wasn't open) post office to pick up a parcel, hardware store for filler and sandpaper, avoided buying sausages by walking past the butcher and picked up milk from the co-op. Now I'm having my first cuppa of the day :) I'd ran out of milk last night.

Sat watching Game of Thrones again with my cuppa, I'm on series 7 now. Some of the computer generated work is really stunning. In a while I'll tidy up the kitchen again, how is it that it never lasts? Then I should really do something else productive, not sure what yet. Later will be 2nd dog walk then a drive to visit my parents again - it will be chicken selects and no chips from Macdonalds for dinner.

Not sure what else I'll eat today, perhaps I'll make a chaffle experiment and have it with soup. I like the look of this recipe, but I don't think I've any canned tomatoes... https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/c...12840MitnL4-bFebrIzgVZ4ctFsoO1zD9HnUfyYBrTuOI.

I do have some of my usual veg and lentil in the freezer tho.

oh, nearly forgot, I'm another 0.2lb down. I'd be quite happy with an ongoing 0.2 per day lol. I'm now 0.9 away from my logged weight :cool: Sad how you can gain in a week but in my case take weeks to get back. Ah well.

Sounds like a lovely morning - I have to drive to get to my high street and the shops are all cafes and restaurants (for the daytrippers), rather than anything useful for locals. Although we do have two huge shopping centres as well! :)

The soup looks good.

I live in a village @ladyfelsham so not much call for tourists. Our high st is about a mile long and has co-op, butcher, pharmacy, hardware store, fabric and yarn shop, a preloved kids book shop, a few hairdressers, a barber, a coffee shop, chinese takeaway, indian restaurant/take away, a couple of pubs, a rubbish chip shop... we're pretty lucky here to be honest. Also have a primary and secondary school, doctors surgery, dentist and a community campus including library and gym. We're lacking a swimming pool and an optician that's really about it, we even have a cinema of sorts as they show movies now and then at the community campus. Obviously choice is limited... We have a swimming pool in nearest town, which is 15 mins drive. I'm thinking of going once a week, but put off by the need to shave my legs :rolleyes:

So I experimented and I improvised

I had a carton of passatta which I used instead off the tinned tomatoes. This soup is actually really nice, bit of pepper is all you need mmmm.

Chaffle experiment... same recipe as the other day, but in the toastie plates. These are fluffier and look more bread, however the eggs taste is also evident in them. They're fine to dunk in my soup though. Using the waffle plates works better because it spread it all thinner and it goes crisper and doesn't taste of eggs.

Still. I really enjoyed my lunch, and thoroughly recommend the soup.

20210525_122813.jpg

I really enjoyed the soup, and with the toastie chaffle it was really filling. But the chaffles definitely better in the waffle plates.

I had my chicken selects from Macdonalds, a few chips - I really have gone off them. I again opted for a diet coke rather than a milkshake, and I didn't eat any of my Mumma's biscuit stash so all in all a good enough day.

scales are up again this morning grrr. I'm also menstruating though, and obviously the macdonalds meal is always going to be a compromise, but life needs living during this journey.

Yesterday I wore my new boots most of the day and walked more than the day before and hesitatingly I think my foot was less painful last night, and less painful this morning. I've had my usual morning 45 minute walk with school and doggo, and my tennis elbow support has arrived. Typically my arm feels ok just now but I'll pop it on before I do any work.

I think I will prepare a wall for painting today, I may or may not do any painting tho... My son is off to his Dads after school so I don't need to pick him up again until after school on Friday, so I could and should make the next couple of days productive... but will I? hmm. Not yet 🤣

Food today - more of the cheese and tomato soup from yesterday and perhaps a toastie (I made more of the chaffles at the same time yesterday) not sure about the 2nd meal later on in the day. I'll decide later.

You're absolutely right, life IS for living - and I don't think it's healthy to be obsessive about food 24 hours a day - much better to accept (as you do) that there are going to be many food challenges for us, and find ways to deal with them without driving ouselves crazy with guilt or denial.

Glad your foot is less painful, sounds like it might just have been the arch getting used to the shoes?

Back