Crazy life of Chilli

Love the non weighing excuse - sounds perfectly reasonable to me!

A friend of mine uses Muscle Foods and really likes them. I've also used a Scottish company called West Coast Foods for their Skinni range.

I've heard muscle foods mentioned elsewhere too, but I'd prefer to buy as locally as possible, at least in Scotland. I'll have a proper look and be ready to order at end of next week when I'm off work again. I got a hello fresh box delivered yesterday and we've had keema mince for dinner tonight with basmati rice, it was good, my son ate his whole bowlful. Sadly I don't think my daughter would eat it but still, it's another thing son will eat and I did eat the rice tonight but can easily have it with something else.

Spent a little time with a friend after school today sitting catching up in her garden, that was nice, looking forward to hopefully feeling a bit free-er in general after the guidance changes again next week.

I've been re-watching Game of thrones, I'm properly hooked again lol, but won't have much time after tonight until my nightshifts are done with again.

So I'm planning a trip, which happened in a quite impromptu manner whilst speaking to my mother in law this morning. (we decided a long time ago that a little thing like divorcing her son shouldn't stop us being friends)

I was going to buy some new furniture over the next few months but have decided it can wait in favour of some frivolity and family fun stuff. That and it gives both mother in law and I something to look forwards to, and time with her grandkids as we live 400 miles apart.

I'm excited :D

Anyone is Somerset area with an air b&b that would sleep 2 adults and 5 kids?

She's going to confirm dates she can manage asap and then we'll need to get booked as I think lots of people are taking trips in UK this year so we may struggle to get space but we'll try.

The furniture can wait 🤣

I'm hoping the idea of a summer trip might help my motivation as well, along with the clothes sewing. I've had a piece of dark chocolate so far today and copious amounts of tea.

Off to buy a book with son have a lovely day miniminners

Lovely plans! Our Aitbnb is a guest suite for 2, on the coast in Norfolk- near Hunstanton. Hope you find somewhere lovely!

Wonderful - the furniture can absolutely wait, holidays make fabulous memories, so important these days - can I come too? :D

I've actually been thinking along the same lines though, really missing my little bit of Italy - so will head over once it comes off the amber list!

yes you can absolutely come along :) I'm waiting for her to confirm which dates we can look for, then I'll get something booked.

so last night at work wasn't too bad, aside from a faulty fire alarm that went off at 4am, which as you can imagine in a care home can be challenging, especially with the reduced staff at night and the residents spread out populating the whole building in their individual rooms! Thankfully most of the 10 I was responsible for slept right through it, quite amazed!

Food wise, at work I avoided the biscuit box. I actually didn't even really think about the biscuit box :oops: I hope tonight is the same. I did have a couple of sandwiches though and a couple of squares of chocolate this morning when I got home, why I don't know lol I just felt like it.

When I woke up after my day sleep I'm still showing 2lb's up, but I always weigh heavier on nights so hopefully I'm back down to at least the same as before. Time will tell.

I've downloaded carb manager, seems quite useful. I couldn't go 100% keto but low carb high fat is actually ok for me when I'm not eating the work sandwiches. Carb manager still counts calories though which immediately had me second guessing if I should be. Such a hard habit to break... in any case the limits the app sets for me I wouldn't typically go over anyway as I find my calories these days are almost always below 1500, often below 1000. Typically I've found having the desired amount of fat difficult, but since discovering a love of whipped cream and strawberries it's easier haha, also frying stuff in olive oil etc.

Yesterday had a funny fat surprise as we were having lentil chilli from my hello fresh box, I enjoyed it, son loved it, so I'll probably make similar again, neither of us ate much of the rice. The best discovery was a very easy to make salsa - it was baby plum tomatoes quartered, mixed with chopped coriander, then a tablespoon of olive oil, and the juice of half a lime. I typically don't like salad dressings etc and I didn't expect to like it but I have to practise what I preach to the kids - how can you know you don't like it if you don't try it?... erm... I really liked the salsa 🤣 and with the added oil it's probably a good LCHF option. I can imagine it mixed with some salad and tasting quite lovely.

I've had a headache today and my IBS played up a bit and I'm wondering if it's the bread as I don't eat bread now unless I'm at work. We will see how things level out. For dinner tonight we had roast chicken, (drum roll please) I had NO potato and NO yorkie puddings. I did have some fried onions and a carrot roasted in the chicken juices. This was pudding night so I made the strawberry 'mousse' with pureed strawberries and whipped cream with sweetner which I love and is on plan for me, and son enjoyed as well. Yet to see if daughter likes it as she went out :rolleyes: despite the fact that SHE wanted family dinner to be a thing, SHE wanted it to be Sunday and SHE wanted it to be roast chicken. teenagers!

Anyway that lot is all well within the macros suggested for LCHF on carb manager, it's actually over on the fat but I'm not worrying about that.

(daughter just came in and demolished her dinner and likes the strawberry whipped cream woohoo)

by the way... 2 slices of bread, for an average sandwich is 26g carbs.

4 or 5 strawberries is around 5 or 6g carbs and 200ml whipped cream is about 2g.

calorie wise the strawberry pudding is probably higher or at least on parr with a decent sandwich but the carbs much lower, fat much higher

I'm taking some to work and going to try and not eat any sandwiches or biscuits. I'm hoping this will tick all my middle of the night boxes. The fat will satisfy the hunger helping avoid the sandwiches, the sweet taste calm the sugar cravings helping avoid the biscuits.

Off course I'm just justifying why I'm allowed pudding in the middle of the night. I might take soup as well as I've just made a pot.

Have a nice night everyone

Woohoo what a day of great small wins there Chilli!

The salsa and your strawberry mousse sound absolutely delish! I've (slowly) realised that something may not be strictly on plan - but it's worth it if it helps me stay on plan overall (IYSWIM).

Carbs are a funny beast in causing cravings, for me anyway - I absolutely crave bread in the night, especially if I can't sleep.

And I love your workarounds and taking your own food to avoid the biscuit trap - if I have them in the house I just hoover them up. If they aren't there, I barely give them a second thought.

Have a good night!

well last night went well, good shift, quiet by our standards. I ate a portion of home made soup and a little strawberry cream mousse, theres still loads left in the work fridge for tonight. I didn't eat any biscuits or sandwiches. go meeee woohoo. 3 more nights... I can do it? right? lol

This morning I had another bout of IBS, and it can't be the bread because I didn't eat any. I then wondered about the cream, but I really only had a small amount and I've eaten more before and been fine, maybe the rice but again I've eaten plenty rice in the past so I'm kind of thinking it might just be random, as it was in the past. I also don't have a gallbladder so perhaps that has an effect at times as well. Anyway I'll not worry about it I've not needed to treat it for a long time hopefully it's just a blip, in any case I'm quite fortunate because usually a quick errr... trip to the toilet eases it quickly.

I used to attend a meditation group once a week, closed for covid and we met on zoom for a while but wasn't the same. We're starting back in our official group tonight so I'm looking forward to that and seeing everyone but it makes the evening a bit of a rush as need to go straight to work from the group.

Got absolutely soaked on the dog walk/school pick up today, absolutely crazy downpour had a very soggy doggy, son and me by the time we got home 🤣

your message was posted whilst I was typing @ladyfelsham and yes I think we all crave carbs off and on, but the less we eat the less we crave. It's been 2 fairly good nights so I just need to keep going, my daughter loves the mousse and asked for some today, there was still more in the fridge so she's eaten half of that as well, it's good because her diet isn't the best and theres a lot of good stuff in a portion of that.

Ours is a spiritual group, but I expect there will be similar groups everywhere and if spiritual stuff isn't your bag there should be mindfulness groups. I really enjoy mine.

so lets say I had a few really good nights where I managed to stay on track at work. Then I had a couple of nights when I didn't, and yesterday was a train wreck of eating. At work though - over the 5 nights I only ate one bourbon, but I did end up eating lots of sandwiches one night as there was literally no time to warm up my soup, so I think I need to always have a cold option with me.

Today I emerge... so far pure I've eaten nothing yet.

I have discovered that Beef space raider crisps are less than 8g of carbs per packet. But off course one packet is hard to stick to, and in any case very rubbish food, but a nice occasional snack if I could learn to control it!

So yesterday I went shopping. I tend not to - I get a click and collect and that removes so much temptation, but every now and then I want to nip into home bargains, and I also needed new work trousers so I buy them at tesco, so I fugured just get it all at once.

I love not being broke. There are so many things I've just made do with for so long and that's not a bad thing, but it's lovely to not have to worry.

I stocked up on loads of smelly wax for my melty thing (I forget what you call it, mines an electric one anyway it melts the wax) I only buy the cheap stuff as I've found the more expensive wax may be stronger in scent but still only lasts a few days and even in my 'not broke anymore' state I don't want to spend THAT much on scenting my living room. 2 new pairs of trousers for work and 2 big mugs. My last bucket sized mug lost it's handle a while back and I do like a big mug lol. I also bought 2 new pairs of pj's, first time I've bought new ones in 3 years. AND the epitome of my new 'post broke' lifestyle I purchased a box of Lady Grey tea bags. They're my fave, and perfect in my new big mugs. One says 'it's a beautiful day' on it with a rainbow and the other one is funky colours and says 'you are made of magic'. For the past 2 years I've made do with the cheapest tea bags. I'll still mix it up but I love being able to buy Lady Grey again.

I've not tried on the trousers yet, but my other pair from tescos is 18 and far too big. These are 16s and stretchy so I'm pretty sure should fit ok. My 16 pj's are roomy and comfy, but I'm going to have to whizz up some hems. I think another 7-10lb's will have me in 14's.

I've got new flooring arriving for the hall today, it's self adhesive vinyl tiles. I used similar to do my kitchen last year and really like how it turned out, I'm still on budget options for my home upgrades as there is simply so much needing done. I was saying to daughter that even if it lasts a couple of years, I'll be able to afford something longer lasting by then. It will be much improved on what it currently is that much is certain. I already have the paint I just need to actually start it! I may try and get it all done next week as I've no work now till next sat night.

I'm also planning on scrubbing my bathroom and kitchen today and then going into city to buy proper walking boots for my dog walks and then a visit to a friend. The rain here is crazy though so I'm hoping the water subsides a bit by the time I plan to go out later.

Food wise it's just me today as daughter is going out and son is at his Dads until tomorrow morning. I have a portion of BBQ chicken left over in fridge I'll probably have with some cauli hash browns for lunch and for dinner I'll raid my portions in the freezer, not sure whats left but I'll look later. Plenty other options in stock after yesterdays shop anyway.

Anyone watch the sewing bee this week? They used army surplus to recycle and jeans. I love doing stuff with old denim but I may see if I can buy some army surplus online and see if that works well for bags. There used to be a store in our nearest city years ago but the nearest one now is about 5 hours drive away! Might have a look on ebay.

Loving all this - so fab to read how much of a positive difference this new 'lifestyle' (ie, not stony broke) is making for you and the kids xx

It's all the little things @ladyfelsham being able to pick up little extras, even just a fun pack of bubblemix for son with big wands yesterday was only £2 at homebargains but previously I always had to focus on the essentials. It's nice to be able to just see things and think oh my son would like that or my daughter would like that.

I'm really grateful though, because even though we struggled we were never in true poverty and I appreciate that. There were and are many people in much worse circumstances. We were always safe, warm, fed and clothed, our home was never in jeopardy, only the extra comforts and luxuries. Having said that the ongoing repair situation would have continued to grow as well.

instead of living in denial of the past few weeks I have weighed and am 180lbs, which is only 1.5 up. I'm not adjusting any of my ticker etc. Just getting back 'on it'

This months spending has involved a new proper pair of walking shoes, these are clarks shoes and they have an interesting sole, the arch support isn't evident when you're sitting down to the point when I tried them on I was thinking these are going to be useless... but when you stand and put your weight on them, they kind of spring up, or your foot sinks down and finds it I'm not sure which, but in any case they felt amazing in the shop... I can only hope that they feel the same on a long walk! To be able to have a long walk without pain would be amazing. I've also bought these weird socks designed for plantar pain too, so hopefully they will help. I had to laugh in the shop though when they tried to offer me protecting spray for them, I was like... aren't they already waterproof? (they are) Why would I pay an extra £8 for a waterproofing spray? Anyway... I've also bought flooring for hall, and ordered a computer desk for me, desk for daughter and some dining chairs (Ikea is ridiculous, 2 desks and 6 seats for under £200 I could become an addict) and a multi thing for kitchen that does panini's, toasties and waffles. That's me done now till next month lol.

The kids will enjoy having toasties and paninis and waffles, whereas I am lured by the chaffle recipes... It's due to arrive tomorrow watch this space whilst I either drool over or complain how rubbish they are 🤣 It would be so good to find something else 'bready' that I like, as so far all I've really liked are the low carb naans I found.

yesterday I ended up off plan again. I was in town to buy my new shoes and then visited a friend. I only planned a visit with a cuppa but she made us dinner - this was annoying after quite a long chat about carbs and insuline and PCOS and why I'm eating the way I am. She made quorn mince with veg, potatoes and then maltesers for dessert lol. I ate it for 2 reasons...

1. She's trying to be a good friend, she's really not well mentally and everything for her is difficult, she probably only took in half of the conversation.

2. I can't remember the last time anyone cooked me a meal. How sad is that? 🤣

Oh well. Today will be a good day. I have no actual plans as to food for the moment though. I will report back later!

Lovely catching up on yr post broke life! My post broke life isn't quite post broke yet. If we get lockdown again, we will be in serious trouble. There's a large credit card bill to pay and then savings to build back up - as we are some of the 3m that get no govt Covid income.

I am excited because I have a plan to get back to financial stability. We also need to get the windows done - replace the seals -not sure how that works and do some other house maintenance. My car died b4 Xmas and I've sorted that out. I am getting a few bits I haven't bought for over a year - but no new clothes yet! I can't wait to join you being post broke!

aw @AliGal I know some others who had zero covid pay too, it's really frustrating for all concerned and not at all fair. Lets keep our fingers crossed for no further lockdowns. I don't know what the answer is to the covid problem - although I think it's great we have access to the vaccine now it's not the complete answer. I don't think lockdowns are sustainable either though I think they need to find better ways to manage the whole thing.

For now, fingers crossed you can move forwards with your plans and join me in 'post broke' ness. It's very hard when you're having to scrape by.

Another zero Covid pay here too - even though I set up my own freelance business after being made redundant last year, it's not been running long enough to get any government assistance. Luckily I've had a fairly steady stream of contracts in!

Loving all the purchases. Ikea rocks, doesn't it? :). And don't forget to check out eBay, you can get some real bargains on there, even for new items - eg kitchen gadgets where the box has been damaged, etc.

Thankfully we had a really good covid payment system here. My son was on it for 3 weeks and husband about 6 weeks while he put measures in place to safely return to work. I was working in the Department that was paying it and was SO BUSY it was crazy but it meant I have worked and been paid through the whole pandemic.
It's great to see things getting sorted for you now Chilli and Ali hopefully the corner will turn for you soon. I can't foresee another major lockdown especially with vaccines now

I think most people in the UK did alright, I worked right through so I was unaffected financially I was just as broke at the start as I was in the middle lol, but there is a percentage (I'm not sure exactly how many) who have struggled. I think the main problem from what I heard was self employed businesses without much time behind them were struggling to get anything at all. Which is presumably the WORST time to leave a person short when they were at the beginning of their self employed journey.

Well according to my online deliveries when I checked, my waffle maker wasn't due until monday or tuesday now after it originally saying today. I was a bit disappointed but I took a freezer lucky dip (turned out to be chilli) and some cauli hash browns topped it with some mozzarella and that was lunch.

Then my waffle maker turned up 🤣 :rolleyes: :D

So now I'm excited. I've been trawling the youtube videos for alllll of the chaffle recipes and have settled on one that is promised to NOT be eggy, or too cheesy, very bready and more importantly I have almost everything I need to make it. This recipe calls for egg whites, almond flour, baking powder, cream cheese and garlic powder. I don't have garlic powder but I may put in a pinch of onion salt, or just salt? I'm going to top it with cheese and make a cheese toastie hopefully. I would have added bacon but we ate it all yesterday. I do have spring onion and tomato tho and may add some of that. I might make them in advance (they are said to last well and freeze) and then I can use the panini press plates on my waffle maker to make the toasted sammich.

I weighed this morning and I'm down 0.2lb's so now only 1.3lb over my logged weight. I am generally aiming for my 5lb chunks but for the moment I'm focussing on 2.8lb's as once those are gone I'll be 1stone down and can make a dress :D I know I don't usually lose that much in a week, but as I've been a bit off plan I think it might be possible if I have a really good week.

I really hope chaffles are good...

then it will only be 1 more after that to hit my next 5lb chunk. It's the little things ya know...

Back