Cream Cake Sandwich...Yum!!!

dukannotsofatty

Gold Member
Sort of.... LOL

I just had to share this with you.

I recently realised that my use of tolerateds was not correct and so had to adapt one of my favourite desserts and I think its worked really quite well.

Sponge (original recipe had cornflour in it, equiv to 2 tolerateds, so I made it without)

2 Eggs - seperated (whites from cream can be added if you want, but two is fine if only making the sponge)
Sweetner - to taste
Flavourings - to taste

Mix the yolks, sweetner and flavourings in a biggish bowl.

Whisk the whites in a seperate bowl until stiff peaks. Then fold the whites into the yolk mixture a large spoonful at a time. Once all of it is mixed then place onto a greased proof sheet on a tray. (I actually have a silicon mat now instead of the paper). ( I have also done this in a silicon sandwich cake tin, but it sticks slightly in the middle).

Spread it out until its about a 1 - 1.5in thick, don't do it any thinner or it won't cook nicely, slightly thicker is ok too.

Bake in preheated oven 160 for 20 mins, lower half of oven. Once done, turn over (use spatula/fish slice to gently loosen it all prior to flipping) and cook for a further five mins. this just crisps up both sides.

Cream

I made this into three puddings, but it can actually be spread with a knife once its set or eat it like blancmange with a spoon....I've done both.

1pt skimmed milk
1 sachet gelatine powder (or 2 teaspoons)
2 egg yolks ( I actually added the whites to the sponge to make it a bigger sponge)
Sweetner to taste
Flavourings to taste

Gently heat the milk and just before it starts to boil, carefully add the gelatine stirring all the time. I usually whisk a little to make sure its all mixed.
In seperate bowl mix yolks and flavourings
Once gelatin has disolved pour some of the milk mixture into the yolk mixture and mix well and then pour that back into the milk and mix well. (lots of mixing I know LOL)
Place back on heat and gently cook for 5 mins, stirring every now and then making sure its not sticking to the pan.
Whilst stirring, add the sweetner to your desired taste.
Once cooked, pour the mixture into tubs with lids, I used three old quark tubs.
Allow to cool for half hour or so and then place in fridge. It will need a minimum of three hours to set.
Once it has, it looks like a blancmange type pudding and I found that I could spread this on my muffins like a butter cream. The first flavour I used was good old vanilla and it was devine, the lot I made today was chocolate flavour but I don't yet know what it tastes like so will let you know.
This has a consistency similar to a cross between a whip and jelly.

What you can then do to make the cream cake is cut the sponge into pieces, up to you whether its 2 or more, then spread some of the cream on one side and sandwich another piece on top. Voila, a cream cake.

If you are putting it all together like a sandwich you need to eat straight away, otherwise the cream will soggy the sponge.

My favourite is to actually cut the sponge into pieces, pile a plate with it, then sit with the cream and a knife and just spread as I go. Very yum pudding and all for eggs and sweetner LOL. All allowed foods.

Enjoy.

I'll put up pics as and when i've done them.

Last edited:
Back