Crispy shredded chili beef/chicken - is my syn estimation OK?

Tetris

Gold Member
Hey guys, I've been searching online for ages for the syn value of my favourite Chinese take away dish, with no luck... Was hoping some of you could help as I don't have a C to ask (doing SW from home).

Tonight to celebrate losing my first stone we decided to have a small Chinese take away :p as I've only had 50 of my 105 syns this week. I ordered my favourite dish (Crispy Shredded chilli chicken) and boiled some rice myself to go with it.

I came to the estimation that a 350g portion (which is the whole silver box from my take away, when weighed) of Crispy Shredded chilli beef is about 6 ish syns- but this seems too good to be true! This is how I worked this out:

I found this calorie content table for take aways: Eating out, takeaway guide, healthy eating and compared the 585 calories for Sweet and Sour Chicken (which is 8.5 syns according to the book/online for a 350g portion of the non-battered stuff) with 380 calories of Crispy Chilli- if you round both up to the nearest hundred it works out that Sweet and sour is about 1.5 times the calories, so I figured that would make the Crispy Chilli stuff about 6 syns for a 350g portion?? I know the dishes aren't that similar but figured it was a decent comparison to go by as they are both very sweet and have the same sort of coating on the chicken, do you think this is a decent estimation? The Crispy Chilli chicken weighs a lot less as it's not swimming in sugar based sauce, but it also isn't bulked out with fried veg as S&S is...

I have plenty of my weekly syns left so if it is in fact 5 times as much I'm safe :eek: But would like to know for the future if you think this is a viable estimation as I'll definitely be having more cheeky Chinese treats if so! :D it was so yummy!

Hiya.. knowing M&S do a ready meal version I looked that up... 24 and a half ee and red and 32 and a half on green for 250grams
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Its the greasy batter.. oil and flour just ain't sw friendly :(

Hi I've just checked syns online and the sweet and sour chicken with batter from a Chinese is 17.5 syns for a 320g portion :( so I think your looking at the same if not more to be honest! Sorry xx

Sweet and sour chicken in batter is completely different though, I'm talking about the one in sauce which is not deep fried in batter, syns online and the handbook call that 8.5 syns for 350g portion. I can't imagine how if the S&S is a third more calories it would be so many more syns... :/

At 380 calories it couldn't be more than 19 syns even if the chicken were completely not deducted as a free ingredient :S

Sweet and sour chicken in batter is completely different though, I'm talking about the one in sauce which is not deep fried in batter, syns online and the handbook call that 8.5 syns for 350g portion. I can't imagine how if the S&S is a third more calories it would be so many more syns... :/

At 380 calories it couldn't be more than 19 syns even if the chicken were completely not deducted as a free ingredient :S

Sorry I thought you meant the chili beef that's in batter, I don't know then sorry! Maybe email slimming world they could probably help you x

Might just do that... Thanks for the input anyway :) x

Did you get a reply from SW?

I know it's been a week but crispy shredded chilli chicken at our Chinese is deep fried then the sauce is added. It's definitely more that 6 syns but very very delicious and hopefully was enjoyed! x

I didnt contact them in the end. The place I get it from isnt deep fried (or very crispy in fact!) have had it crispy and deep fried at places before though. It is chewy and yum where I get it and rather similar to the sweet and sour just a different flavour and gooey-er. I cant really see how if it is 2/3rds of the calories of sweet and sour that it would be a lot more syns though :/

Back