Croutons

charlottegrace1

Gold Member
I need to make some for New Year diner, but don't know which way to jump, fry in a pan with a little oil, or do in the oven. How do you do yours and which would you say is best for a special meal. O/H mum is coming for lunch and she is a very critical dinner so don't want to upset her with rubbish croutons with onion soup lol.

I would oven-bake. I prefer them, as they are drier, more crunchy and don't have that greasy, oiled texture that fried ones tend to have.

Slow oven, until very dry.

Ta-da!

I'd go for the frying option. If you oven bake them and they go soggy you'll never hear the end of it.

OR do both. Have a bowl of healthy ones and 'Traditional' ones so people can choose.

Why not try making some in advance, and see how they work out? The successes can be stored in an airtight box or tin for a couple of days - the failures can be fed to the birds!!

Surely someone can't get upset about something as trivial as croutons?? If so, they are too silly to worry about!

As a friend of mine says: "those who mind, don't matter; those who matter, don't mind".

Why not try making some in advance, and see how they work out? The successes can be stored in an airtight box or tin for a couple of days - the failures can be fed to the birds!!

Surely someone can't get upset about something as trivial as croutons?? If so, they are too silly to worry about!

As a friend of mine says: "those who mind, don't matter; those who matter, don't mind".

OH YES THEY CAN LOL. my MIL is 90 and as cantankerous as they come, she would find fault with god himself let alone croutons. I only have her for diner once a year and that brings me out in a cold sweat. She went to my nieces for Christmas diner 2 years ago and my niece ended up throwing the diner up the wall she upset her so much, she won't be inviting her again lol.

I think I will do both and then a) she will think I have gone to loads of trouble and b) I've covered my options.

Thanks for the replies my lovelies. xx

Oh, the only answer to that kind of cantankerousness is selective deafness! It can't bother you if you haven't heard it, and you can't hear it if you aren't listening.

So, which did the cantankerous old cow prefer?

Well.......I did the croutons in the oven just rubbed with garlic and they were delicious, she was sooo impressed I had made my own anyway so scored brownie points there. In fact, she said it was the best meal she had had all Christmas and I was a wonderful cook:D:D:D She did spend the whole meal criticising every other meal she had had over the holidays and the meals other members of the family had cooked for her since last year, but I think I escaped unscathed. In fact she gave me a kiss on the way out and she hasn't done that since we got married nearly 25years ago lol. RESULT I THINK!!!!

Watch out Carolyne! She'll want to be moving in with you next!

Back