Curious and bit scared

It's so annoying isn't it? Mine only charged me £10 (my NHS GP, that is) but I was still outraged. You are SAVING the NHS money by losing weight and you ought to be entitled to support from them. I would definitely phone the practice manager and get very stroppy.

When I went back to my GP after I lost over 3st, without even LOOKING at me she made reference to be being "obese"! Then when she realised she kept gushing on and on about how amazing it was to have lost so much weight. As you can imagine, I pointed out, pulling no punches, that it was entirely down to me and I had had absolutely no support from them - even to the extent of getting a form filled in. She didn't seem to care though!

My GP wouldn't sign (surgery policy) but another NHS GP did for £30 (he is has a special twice weekly LL clinic and very pro LL, bonkers how they can be so different).
He is in Stirling if you can get up here for it.
I think it is Monday and Thursday lunchtimes he does the LL clinic, but I can give you the number if you would like it.

I had a nurse in my group who did our BP every month. As long as she has a stamp it should be ok (I know practise nurses do, but not sure about all nurses).

I would change doctors, who wants to be with a surgery that are so blinkered and unwilling to learn new things.

You can change your gp at any time and don't have to give a reason but if you know someone else in the area that has already got their form signed or if your LLC knows of a sympathetic surgery then it's worth ringing them to ask to move to their practice.

Hiya - there are a few different threads that you should read about this problem with doctors. You have to stick to your guns - you're not asking them to endorse the diet, just sign a form to state that there's no reason you shouldn't follow a VLCD. Insist on an appointment with a doctor (not the nurse), say you're happy to pay the relevant fee to get the form completed (I paid £24), and explain that it's something you really want to do as other avenues haven't worked for you. They cannot tell you what you can and can't do, but can give you important medical advice on how a VLCD might affect any medical conditions you have or medication you might be taking. Don't be intimidated - I'm sure some of those doctor's receptionists have been given lessons in how to be obstructive. Mine kept saying I couldn't have an appointment because it wasn't an emergency and I wasn't ill. The fact that I was morbidly obese was obviously neither here nor there! If you wanted a form filled out for BUPA or life insurance they'd do it straight away.
Good luck - get onto them immediately so you can join your group on the right day.
Topcat x

Hey fgdevil (666) welcome to the group.

Your doctor has no right not to sign the form. All you are asking is some basic health questions, details of medication and to have your BP checked (pretty much). At my surgery they charged me £15 for the privilege of me answering all the questions for the nurse who checked my BP and got the form endorsed by the receptionist. It took all of 3 minutes. My neighbour goes to the same surgery and was not charged.

They are not giving you permission or anything, VLCD's are fully accepted by the nedical profession, and the doctor is probably justignorant and worried that they might be signing something that could implicate them in our new litigious society.

Be firm and see what happens. You could try to call the nursing practitioner and ask her if she can fill out a health questionnaire for you and check your BP. Also try to call your local Primary Care Trust and explain your problem they might be able to help.

As others have said - cut back on the carbs. I like the idea of having your favourite foods in the last couple of weeks or using all the 'bad stuff' (whatever that is) that you have in the cupboard. You can actually combine this. If you fancy Indian have a shashlick, or a tandoori dish with salad, vegetables (no sugar) and yoghurt - just avoid the naan and rice. Avoid the processed carbs - pasta, bread, rice, Avoid sugar and starches-rich veggies such as potato and fill up on protein and leafy green veggies. - You can look at some of the low carb websites for recipes and ideas.

Good luck with the doctor!

Hi folks, thank you all for your fantastic replies.
I spoke to another women who would have been in my LL group, she too was refused and phone our county surgeries. I think it must a country wide thing, they all have policies not to sign off on VLCD. I dont think my doc even supports the GP and Pharmacy monitored Lipotrim.

Anyway i cant afford the extra £60 for the private GP, and im desperate to get started so i went today to a chemist in Edinburgh and bought Lipotrim for £36 instead. I know the councelling would have been really useful on LL but im going to try go it 'alone' with my sister and minimins.com's support.

again thank you all.

And if anyone is reading this at a laterdate and are having from signing problems, i would suggest fighting it out with your GP if you can wait it out on starting the diet.

In all honesty, your doctor wants shooting.

By refusing to sign the forms he hasn't prevented you doing a VLCD, just prevented you from getting counselling alongside it, which is something you wanted. Not that it's his decision in the first place! Maybe he's worried that if too many people lose weight, he wont be able to humiliate them by pointing out the bloomin' obvious every time they visit :mad:

I would write a letter of complaint, but then I'm a stubborn old cow :p

The doctoris an idiot! what does your PCT say? They will set the guidelines for the region.

Back