Currently on Lighter Life

fatbegone

And I am finding it so expensive. How different is the Cambridge diet to LL? Apart from being half the price.

I am two weeks in, and 15lb down. Need to lose another 4-5 stone.

Thanks

Caz

It's not that much different dietwise, but you see a Cambridge counsellor one on one and depending on your counsellor you don't get the cognitive behavioral therapy you get with LL BUT that said, the time spent with your counsellor can help you work through any issues you have with all the attention focussed on you and your issues.

Apart from the cost that's partly why I chose Cambridge over Lighter Life, I didn't fancy airing my issues to a group of strangers. Hope this helps

thanks for the reply..

How much is it per week? LL is £72 and I really cant do that much more...I am a single mum of 3!!

I am not a big shake fan so I mostly have the soups..can you do that on CD?

The price difference was a huge factor in me choosing the diet. there seems to be a similar amount of variety on both. My cdc is great, she actually works with people who have eating disorders so she has great advice for me all the time and i find that I have had a lot of support from her. I agree with surfhunny I wouldnt want to air my problems to strangers either.... I much prefer my one to ones that i'll be having.

looking at your weight losses so far I would say that you would get pretty much the same results on CD. Think the only reason why LL is more expensive is because of the therapy.

but i suppose it depends on how much support your wanting xx

To be honest at my LL meetings its so rushed, as people are weighing...that we only get a quick half hour at the end.

Do you weigh at home then?

thanks for the reply..

How much is it per week? LL is £72 and I really cant do that much more...I am a single mum of 3!!

I am not a big shake fan so I mostly have the soups..can you do that on CD?

I paid £40 for my first week... its £38 for me but because I got the tetra packs it cost a bit more. There is a good variety of soups on CD

theres oriental chilli, spicy tomato, chicken and mushroom, mushroom and veg (think thats all of them) I dont think theres anything saying you have to have some shakes and some soups.. you could have all soups if you wanted. my cdc said if i just wanted porridge i could have that 3 times a day.. whatever works for me

the porridges are also pretty good. at the mo i love the apple and cinnamon but not keen on the maple and pecan.

To be honest at my LL meetings its so rushed, as people are weighing...that we only get a quick half hour at the end.

Do you weigh at home then?

when i went for my initial meeting with cdc last week I was there for 1 n a half hours! she was so happy to help and answer any questions etc.. and she has given me an hour slot next week too... i weigh when i go to see my cdc. I refuse to have scales in the house as i will constantly weigh myself and that will just do my head in. cdc also advised me that if i had scales to throw them because she only wants to weigh us at her office each week.

i think from the sounds of it it wouldnt hurt to give cd a go. i think you will get more personal support on it. my cdc does a mobile service she has text me every single day asking how i am and she also sends inspirational messages (which my husband finds annoying) but i think they are supportive.

My CDC charges me £40 a week because she charges the same price for each item, some charge differently for individual products. But it's toughly about £40/week. It's perfectly possible to get all soup, I personally get all the ready made shakes, it's just easier for work.

As for the time I spend with my CDC it varies, usually if I'm okay and have no issues it's half an hour, but I have problems I'll tell her I need a longer appointment. And she's always available for phone consultations between weigh ins.

Good luck with whatever you decide. X

£72 a week is stupid money...its more with mousse mix and flavoured water too :/

Well I emailed my local consultant...hope she replies quickly lol

fatbegone said:
£72 a week is stupid money...its more with mousse mix and flavoured water too :/

Well I emailed my local consultant...hope she replies quickly lol

Ouch, it's a lot!! My nearest LL group was an hours drive each way so the cost of petrol on top made it impossible to afford. I'm lucky because I only have myself to feed, so £40 a week actually saves me money, because I'd spend more than that on groceries each week.

Oh and you can still get the mousse and water flavourings on CD

Is it best to email or phone? I remember starting LL I emailed and she only replied when I left her a voicemail?

There are loads in my area it seems...I just emailed the top one on the list. Dont like to phone with it being a Sunday, and I still have a week of lighter life food packs to drink first lol

Do you need a medical form signed?

I chose CD because i was sceptical about how effective the group therapy would be - but i do plan to pay for a fully trained psychotherapist after i am at goal and dealing with food again.

To give you a guideline, I'm in london and my CDC charges £1.95 per sachet (shakes, soups, porridge) and £2.10 per tetra / bar. My weekly cost therefore depends on how many of each pack I buy, but generally comes to £43-45. Which is significantly less than I was spending on food,; lunches at work; evenings in the pub; wine at home; diet cokes; sweeties when i filled up with petrol etc, etc

Is it best to email or phone? I remember starting LL I emailed and she only replied when I left her a voicemail?

There are loads in my area it seems...I just emailed the top one on the list. Dont like to phone with it being a Sunday, and I still have a week of lighter life food packs to drink first lol

Do you need a medical form signed?

if your BMI is under 40, your CDC will write to your doctor to inform them. that's it.

some consultants prefer email, some phone. I hate the phone myself - but my CDC is good with email, so that's OK.

So how many packs do you have a day? on LL you have 4?

It depends how tall you are, 5'8" and taller need 4 packs 5'7" and shorter only need 3 packs for the total abstinence (Sole Source) phase, or you can do Sole Source + (SS+) which is either 4packs and a milk allowance or 3packs and a small meal. The counsellor will explain that in more detail.

I am 5ft 6 and a tiny bit lol

hey, good luck changing to CDC.
My friend did LL 3 years ago but I couldnt afford it plus it was an hour each way to class. She told me that someone in her LL class had been to the factory where the products are made and the CD stuff was coming off the production line too! I have no way of verifying that but for about half the price it would seem they are pretty much the same. What it did make me do was look for a CDC and lo and behold there was one 10 minutes walk away - result.
I'm usually about £45 per week but that is a bit more than most as I buy a few extra packets each week for more choice and also as I will still be on it at Christmas (and maybe beyond) i'm stashing some for if the weather turns bad here again. I live on the edge of a village, up a steep hill and one of our cars didn't get out for about 6 weeks so I was fairly housebound when OH had other car. Original CDC has retired so now travel 20 mins to new one.
Good luck on your journey
M x

fatbegone said:
I am 5ft 6 and a tiny bit lol

3 packs for you then :D the counsellor will give you a book which explains all the options to you, and will help you decide which one is right for you. I personally just have my 3 packs and water because I'm too tempted to cheat if I have the small meal, which is basically chicken and green or White veg. There's a sticky on here somewhere with what's allowed for the SS+ meal.

I find if I dont eat I don't want to eat if that makes sense, it just makes my life a whole lot easier :)

mollydog1308 said:
I live on the edge of a village, up a steep hill and one of our cars didn't get out for about 6 weeks
M x

I'm the same I live in a village and the only way in is up one of three steep hills. I'm not looking forward to winter this year :(

Well on LL I am used to not eating, but I do miss it lol. It doesn't bother me on a normal day, last weekend was my little boys birthday and I missed not eating his party food..but its only occasions like that, that it does get to me. Is there any different in weight loss with having food or no food:?

thank you for all the advice :)))

Back