curry recipe with out yogurt

I just sweat off a bunch of onions till they are soft and translucent, then I bung my meat in to seal on a slightly higher heat. Add garlic ginger turmeric.......a good tablespoon (or two depending how much curry your making!!) of curry powder (you can buy for specific curries IE Balti Rogan josh etc) and then just cook the spices out for a while to soften the harshness of them. You may need a splash of water or two while you do that. Throw in your veg. Chick peas peppers sweetcorn peas whatever....The next bit is a gross job but will really change your curry so worth doing (you can leave it out but your curry will be more tomatoey) blitz white onions to a purée and add a few good dollops :) Tin of chopped tomatoes and let it all bubble away for 20 mins. Add some passata or water if it's too thick for you. A handful of fresh chopped coriander stirred through just before serving and your good to go!! Sorry I don't have exact weights/times.

The Rogan Josh on here is really good (think it was bumped a few days ago so should be easy to find). I do it with chicken, courgettes and spinach.

Tarka Dal on the side and a mini naan if I've been good. :)

Pete’s Beef Curry Dopiaza (Revisited)

Pete’s Beef Curry Dopiaza (Revisited)

Serves 2

Ingredients

125g long grain rice (ff)
400g chopped tomatoes (s) (sff)
225g stewing steak with the fat removed & cut into small pieces (ff)
½ tsp asafetida powder
½ tsp fenugreek powder
½ tsp coriander
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp sweetener
1 cup of peas (ss) (ff)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped (sff)
2 tsp Hot Madras curry powder
4 large onions, 2 finely chopped, 2 sliced (s) (sff)
Knorr Dark Stock pot with 200mL water

Method

Fry the finely chopped onions in a saucepan with the lid on, sprayed with Fry Light until soft, add all the spices except the garam masala.
(Boil the 2 remaining onions until cooked then set aside.)
Cook the meat with the onions & spices. Mix well, cook for 10 mins then add the tomatoes, stock & sweetener, reduce the heat to a simmer, cook for 40mins (the longer the better for flavour) then add the boiled onions, peas, garam masala and cook for a further 5mins, serve with rice.
Beef Dopiaza-3 (Small).JPG
Several more on my link pages.
Pete

Back