Cycling & Walking

Hev_Sparrow

Silver Member
This is going to sound really daft, but: I want to start walking and cycling, not just walking round town but properly walking in country parks etc, same with cycling/mountain biking, but I don't know what to wear! (Such a girl I know!). I struggle to find comfy, practical shoes that go with things. I've got running shoes for the gym and a pair of trainers, but literally all I've got is one pair of bootleg jeans that I can wear with them as skinny jeans and trainers look ridiculous as do my lovely dresses in the summer. I don't want to buy lycra for cycling or anything but just something practical and fashionable would be helpful.

I'd recommend you get a pair of proper walking boots/shoes. They aren't that expensive, I got mine from Aldi for £15 a year ago and they came around the world with me (admittedly, after two weeks in the Sahara they needed the insoles changing!!). Walking boots aren't the most glamorous but they look after your feet and teamed with big thick socks and tucking skinny jeans inside you can pull of that hiker-chic look that's pretty popular at the moment :p

As for cycling, I have an old pair of peddle pusher jeans (if you're of an age to remember them, if not three quarter lengths lol). I'm anti-lycra but after a lot of experimenting I found those jeans and layering my top half works best for me.

Haha, thanks Lougarry, yeah I'm pretty anti-lycra too (and I do remember peddle pushers) :p Hiker-chic is what I'm aiming for! I don't want to buy all the professional stuff, y'know, just want to be casual but comfortable! And literally none of my shoes are comfortable. Think I need to get to Aldi, £15 sounds very much in my price range (the cheaper the better!)

Sports Direct will probably do a decent pair of walking shoes for around that too, especially if they are having one of their many sales. I used to wear pretty cheap trainers that were normally quite comfortable but then they kept getting ruined so walking shoes became a better option.

Think Aldi recently did a bike event on their special buys so you might be able to pick up lights, kits extra fairly cheapish too (I swear Im not on commission from them, I just like a bargin).

Haha are you sure you don't work for Aldi? ;) I must get in there, I keep forgetting about it until the weather cheers up and I want to go walking!

Try Mountain Warehouse too, they have a great range of walking gear. Unfortunately with activities like this you need practical over style. You can get some good looking clothes for the job but they have to be comfortable and you don't want to end up with soreness anywhere. I'm a cyclist and felt stupid the first time I put the lycra on but now I wouldn't contemplate riding without padding and proper breathable and comfortable gear

Back