Dairy products.

I have read a lot of information on GI/GL and I am a bit confused about whether dairy products have to be full fat or whether reduced fat products are ok.

Some authors say reduced fat items are recommended, others say to eat full fat as the low fat alternatives have more carbs.

I tend to have semi-skimmed milk, and normally buy fat free natural yoghurt, and reduced fat Philadelphia (not the very low fat one which I think is yuck). I have been buying the normal natural yoghurt since adopting this way of eating.

Any advice appreciated.

I think you have to base your choice on what makes sense to you and what you enjoy. I drink semi-skimmed (usually, because it's what my husband likes and he uses much more than I do) or full-fat milk (my preference). I like both types of yoghurt and often prefer reduced-fat cheese, especially melted.

Lowfat is usually suggested because the calories are less, I think, since fat would otherwise seem to be better because it lowers GI somewhat by slowing digestion (and replaces some of the volume with fat instead of lactose). I think in yoghurt there's less lactose anyway as it's consumed by the live cultures so this would seem to be less crucial. (I also read somewhere once that fullfat milk is better used by the body as all the elements are there in the right proportion, and that non-homogenised (with cream that rises to the top if left) is better because the fat particles are bigger, but I couldn't tell you where!)

So, if you're more worried about calories go with lower fat, and if you want to digest more slowly go with higher fat (being mindful of portion size). Also take into account your preference; choosing fullfat milk if you hate it won't do much good. ;-)

Back