Daisybell's collection of top tips to success.

Foiled. I was hoping to hide away from scale checkers. Resisted today. I get weighed in all my nakedness ( not a pleasant sight!) so am only tempted first thing in the morning or last thing at night.

Ally - do you have a diary too? You will see that so far, mine has been a solitary affair. More the
musings of a mad woman......

I do, right here :) Mine was ramblings until some people came and joined in too :)

Ally, I have hunted you down and subscribed to your thread. I love the tracker and found all the other profile info interesting.i have been using my IPad which doesn't give me the option to fill in more info ( well not that I can find at any rate) Will see what I can do later in the day.

So what key lessons am I learning this week. The first is how difficult it is to stay off the scales.but I am doing it! Ally and I have a challenge thing going to support each other ( for that read "checking on each other") time will tell how it affects my weight loss as I tended to react if it looked like I was going to STS or worse, gain part way through the week. Have been letting go a little this week although for me that probably means using my quota of syns.

A friend of mine refuses to get on the scales and uses the mirror and clothes to judge her weight. Mind you, she is half my size and taller. I like the weekly boost of a weight loss even if it is only half a pound. I didn't measure myself when I started out so perhaps I should do that now. I have to wear jeans to a wedding in September and I want to be able to feel good. It is therefore quite important we're the weight comes off. I had abdominal surgery five years ago and the muscles have slackened more than elsewhere. Luckily a fair bit of my weight seems to be coming off my middle.

Do others track their measurements?

1 As others have said "keep off the scales" except on the day you weigh yourself! do this at the same time of day each week as you will vary during the day...............
2 Write a weekly menu, firstly to control what you need to buy (saves money!) and better planning.
3 Remember to have your 1/3 superfree food with each meal
4 Remember we are all trying to loose weight so if you have a problem ask us!

bilsat said:
1 As others have said "keep off the scales" except on the day you weigh yourself! do this at the same time of day each week as you will vary during the day...............
2 Write a weekly menu, firstly to control what you need to buy (saves money!) and better planning.
3 Remember to have your 1/3 superfree food with each meal
4 Remember we are all trying to loose weight so if you have a problem ask us!

Really great advice Bilsat. Thanks and I soo agree with your first point. As you will have read, I am a serial weigher. An addiction that creates artificial highs and lows that affect how I behave and subsequently my weight loss yo yos instead of being steady and sustained. I have a "no weigh" buddy now and don't want to let her down. Two days down, five to go! Harder as the week progresses I imagine.

I love your recipe collection and take loads of ideas from it. I am the type of cook who goes to the fridge and creates with what is in there but luckily I am able to shop daily so I use the food diary to plan as opposed to keeping a record. The key is getting the right food in the fridge! The green days are great for the budget, aren't they. Even the dearest steak is cheap when you only have 50g of it!

Where can I get a list of the superfoods? I use the SW online site but on my iPad. Does this block info that is otherwise available? I love fruit and veg but is it possible to eat too much of it?

The advice you have given is just the sort of thing I am looking for. Thank you

Learned another important lesson last night. The motivating power of a compliment!

Had some friends round for a meal last night, one of whom I hadn't seen for a while. She was very complimentary about my weight loss and it boosted my morale sooo much. I actually ate less than I would have done normally as it fired me up to lose more.

Every day the light bulb brightens a bit more as I start to realize what does and doesn't help my weight loss (except the obvious of course) after my homemade Indian feast last night I woke up this morning feeling as full as though I had just eaten. It was all those pulses! Well today I have had a glass of water whenever I felt hungry after promising myself I could eat what I wanted afterwards. The combination of pulses and water has left me full all day so plenty of super free foods have kept me going. I only hope this doesn't back fire on me on Sunday when I weigh in. And I can't tell how I am doing as I have promised not to look at the scales till then.

Today is going to be tough. I am lying in bed on my IPad and the urge to leap out of bed and weigh myself is almost overwhelming. Would have done it but have just posted a reply to someone with the same problem telling then that they can change. What a hypocrite that would make me. Have my clothes at the ready by the bed as once they are on I don't want to weigh myself as I do my weekly WI in my birthday suit. Hope there is someone out there to help pick up the pieces if I have gained this week. Feel bloated and full this morning but had a fairly normal day yesterday.

I suppose I knew it would happen at some point. Have gained 1/2lb at my WI. This is the week that I pledged not to weigh myself everyday and I didn't, so not sure if that made any difference. Would I have cut back earlier in the week? Should I need to alter my eating habits in response to the scales or is that not what this plan is about. A long term change in habits?

So a review is needed.

I have obviously gone over on my syns. When you cook everything from scratch it is hard to accurately record the syns. Must try harder.

I have not been as careful with my portion control. Perhaps because I lost 3lbs last week? Smaller portions needed when on green days. I eat because I can, not because I'm full.

I have eaten more pulses than usual this week and I feel bloated - need to increase my fluid intake. Keep telling myself this and nt doing anything about it. Will use this diary to log my daily drinking this week.

Most importantly I must not let this take me off track. I will not weigh myself during the week. I will eat smaller portions of pasta, rice and potatoes. I will drink more.

Onwards and upwards!

Eat plenty of super free foods
Stop eating when you are full
Make a public commitment to an exercise target
Find innovative ways to prepare your favorite foods
Stay off the scales between weigh ins.
Use a food diary to plan ahead
Make time for structured exercise
Do not let a slip become a slide
Drink plenty

I have changed the top tip from free to super free foods.
I am starting a weight loss support group in Vienna next week so these tips will come in handy. Re-reading about them has made me realize I have drifted a bit in the last week.

Purple Patsy said:
Hi I've just popped by to subscribe to your diary. You've done well so far. I look forward to reading more of your tips and will offer any help I can but TBH I'm struggling for the past couple of weeks myself but I'll get back to it eventually. :)

Welcome, Purple Patsy. I hope you find the tips helpful. They are things that work for me or for others. Yesterday I was feeling a but down cos of the gain and reread my diary to remind myself what I should be doing. I find it works better to focus on one thing at a time, hence this weeks push on fluid intake. Not that it is working so far this week!

Do you know what you need to change?

Week 11

Fluid intake.

Sunday
8.40am. Mint tea
9.10am. Glass of water
13.00 Bottle of mineral water
15.30. Earl Grey tea
16.30 Earl Grey tea
18.00. Small glass of white wine ( left half of it)
21.00. Mug of hot chocolate

Estimate 1.35litres

Not very good, is it? Austria has some if the best tap water in the world. It comes from mountain springs and is totally untainted. Must drink more today.

Welcome, Purple Patsy. I hope you find the tips helpful. They are things that work for me or for others. Yesterday I was feeling a but down cos of the gain and reread my diary to remind myself what I should be doing. I find it works better to focus on one thing at a time, hence this weeks push on fluid intake. Not that it is working so far this week!

Do you know what you need to change?

I've been strangely hungry and hence not making good choices just whatever was really quick. Had takeaway twice and too many snacks and even just too much of everything. Feel better about it today so far. :D

Your fluid idea sounds good. I'm also trying to keep up my intake to see if it makes any difference. :D

Week 11

Sunday 1.35 liters
Monday
6.30am. Glass water with lemon juice
7.00. Mint tea
9.00. Earl grey
10.00. Water
12.00. Homemade lemon cordial
15.00. mint tea
19.00. Mint tea
21.00. Water - drinking as I type
22.00. Hot chocolate - planned and unlikely to miss

1.8 liters so an improvement on yesterday

Purple Patsy said:
I've been strangely hungry and hence not making good choices just whatever was really quick. Had takeaway twice and too many snacks and even just too much of everything. Feel better about it today so far. :D

Your fluid idea sounds good. I'm also trying to keep up my intake to see if it makes any difference. :D

If you are hungry can you fill up on pasta, rice or potato? I found I still lost weight even when I ate tons of the stuff. Then I cut back a bit to increase weight loss. Do you have a freezer? If so could you make a few meals at the weekend so you have something handy when you can't be bothered to cook? I use the food diary to plan my Walsh one day ahead. That way I have everything in that I am likely to need.

Back