Day 3 and feeling dizzy..

looby1003

Hi all, I've been kind of doing the atkins diet since Monday (having 1 exante shake a day though to replace a meal) and am in ketosis this morning (got the sticks from doing previous VLCDs) but I have never felt as dizzy or weak as I do now...the room is spinning as if Im drunk! Also feeling quite nauseus but think thats just due to the dizziness. Working 9-5.30 today and hate phoning in sick, but I might have to if I don't feel better soon. Has anyone else experienced this? I admit I haven't eaten very much since Sunday (yesterday had 2 minibaby bells, 2 chicken thighs and half a tin of tuna aswell as a shake and similar amount on Monday) I know thats not alot and that you can eat more on the Atkins, but I really want to lose weight fast (going on holiday 3 weeks today) but I just cant stick to 3 shakes a day only...its so much easier when I can have at least a bit of food. Having a shake now so will hopefully feel better soon... Im pressuming its got something to do with the diet, either that or I've inherited Menieres from my mum :(

Last edited:
Hi Looby, i'm sorry you are not feeling well. Atkins works on a different principle to exante and other low cal diets - you get into ketosis eating plenty of cals but very few carbs. Mixing with exante shakes isn't atkins so we cant advise - suggest you ask on the exante board how to safely use exante shakes with a bit of low carb and low cal food. It sounds like you are staving yourself which isn't healthy and may not help weight loss. Really recommend you follow an organised diet with research behind it - then you know you are looking after your body.

What Kat1e said!

It is not sensible to restrict calories whilst you are doing Atkins, if you do, it may actually slow down or even stop your weight loss - your body will go into starvation mode and your metabolism slows right down. Not surprising you are feeling dizzy and ill.

First thing - drink a glass of water. Second thing - eat!

Go and have some scrambled eggs perhaps, or bacon and egg, or boiled egg. For lunch have maybe a salad with a good amount of protein, you can have mayo too remember. And this evening another helping of protein plus some green vegetables (that are not peas of course).

Hope you feel better soon!

Thankyou so much for the replies ladies :) Wasn't sure whether to post on here or the Exante board, thought they'd tell me to post on here seeing as Im eating some food lol. I have started to feel better now thankfully. Will take your advice though and eat more protein today. I spoke to my mum earlier though, who said it sounded like a classic vertigo attack, especially as it lasted around 2 hours and I was literally stumbling around! I will be upping the calorie intake anyway to be on the safe side, don't want to feel like that again if I can help it! Thanks again for the advice :)

Loony, you really need to read up on Atkins. You don't need to take VLCD shakes along with Atkins, you can have amazing losses in the early weeks of Atkins and eat loads.

If I were going on holiday in 3 weeks I'd be looking at a plentiful food diet (Atkins) so that when I ate my food on holiday I won't suddenly pile in half a stone. If you eat VLCD stuff and not follow a good balanced meal plan then suddenly go eat a lot in three weeks time you will come home heavier than you are now.

On Atkins induction first week you can expect to lose 7lb, then second week maybe 4lb.... That's an amazing 11lbs. So why don't you start now today and be good to yourself. You need proteins, fats and vegetables. Eating proteins is not enough, you must not make yourself I'll. I've lost almost 9lbs in the sat two weeks of eating Atkins induction foods, if I 'weak willed' can do it then so can you. The bigger picture is losing weight and feeling good.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Typical day for me ....

Breakfast
3 ham egg cups, and sometimes mushrooms. Sometimes I get big mushrooms and pie them high with cheese and ham and bake them.
Or Omelet filled with cheese and mushrooms.

Lunch
A chicken breast and salad including cucumber, lettuce, cheese, tomato (cation tomato for some) and red peppers. Sometimes just a plate of anything nice from the fudge... Could be gammon, chicken, cheese, cucumber dipped into soft cheese. I usually don't cook at lunchtime.

Dinner ...
Quite often meals like cheeseburger pie, OR pepper stuffed with mince OR chicken stuffed with cheese and wrapped with bacon. I usually would have a fairly generous of vegetables that I enjoy. I don't measure veg as I don't believe they are a bad thing even if I eat too many. I am at the point where I worry less now.

Snacks ...... Cheese! Babybels. That cooked bacon strips from tesco, they are yummy, I even occasionally eat scratchings though not very often as I find my meals are more than enough.

On top of this I drink a fair amount of water. Also I'm really naught I sometimes have a dilute Vimeo sugar free though hat is naughty as squashes are not really on the list of allowed stuff but that's me and I get through.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Back