DaY 5 ... AM I THERE YET!

Hey .. well Im DARK PURPLE on the Ketostick, suggesting ketosis - my tongue is yellow and my mouth feels like a dead rat is in there ... but Im still hungry and I still can't stop fantasising about food! I went to the cinema with friends last night and normally when Im dieting I can take maybe some carrot sticks or cucumber to gnaw on while others are eating their popcorn and sweets - but I couldnt have ANYTHING at all last night and half way through the film I went to the loo and cried because I just wanted to cave in and have a handful of popcorn! Then all the way home I just wanted to have a portion of chips!

These last 5 days, I have coped but I haven't actually ever stopped being hungry - despite chucking bucketloads of water down me. Thats why last night I jut thought "well i might as well get some chips because Im clearly not in Ketosis anyway because IM still so hungry!"

Help me :-( It's day 5 today and 2 days until weigh in, I havent gone to work today because my first day back yesterday was horrendous - everyone eats at their desk and everyone in my office just loves to share food and it was just everywhere!!

Iv struggled and it's gone so so so slowly this week - I really don't know how I will cope for 2 weeks on this let alone 2 months :-( I just feel like packing it in and doing slimming world, at least then I get to eat something at least once a day.

Please tell me Im wrong - I want to loose weight and I want the results LT can offer me ... I just don't see how it's going to get any easier

It is your mind thats hungry not your body!!!!!! It is only food, you have to keep saying to yourself 'i have tasted it before, i will taste it again, look where its got me'.... chips, popcorn, all carbs, all fattening, the reason why many of us are here in the first place... your mind wants food, not your body... you have to say to yourself, it is only food, why should food rule my life, make me upset, make me depressed when i eat depressed when i dont... you have to change your whole perception of food, not make it your enemy but it certainly isnt your friend right now.. hths xxx

Hiya woody

I really feel for you. Its so tough to do this. I know its easy for people to say it will get easier but honestly it does. Day 4 and 5 of my first week(1st time around) were hell on earth. I thought I was going to die if I didnt eat something. In the next week i seemed to turn a corner and I swear to you it really wasnt as hard at all. Sure i still would have loved to taste food but the actual physical craving to do so had left me.

Whatever happens please dont cave in before your first weigh in. You are so near at this stage. Do that and if you have a big loss - which you should have if you havent cheated - there is no better incentive than the feeling you have when you see the loss on the scales.

You are doing brilliantly. You are nearly there to first weigh in and one week down. Stick with it and you will see the results. In my first couple of weeks(1st time) I avoided all social situations as I just didnt feel I could handle the avoidance of food and drink. Going out last night might just have been too hard for you in your first week. Esp around day 5 as that seems to be a hump for most people. I simply got through each day one at a time, had plenty early nights, loads of lovely girly baths, spent time doing home facials and generally having some me time.

Be strong - you have done the right thing coming on here for support. There will be plenty of times ahead where you can have popcorn and lots of other things, just not at the moment.

I would say def keep going to first weigh in as you are so near. If you still feel like this is not for you after that then i would say you could reconsider your decision to change diets. But if you can hang on in there do, as the benefits are amazing.

Best of luck and stay strong.

Thankyou - Im so pleased I joined this forum - I just know I would have quit by now so thank you all for your support and genuine care.

Its not just the mind telling me I need food ... my tummy is rumbling and I have hunger pangs ... so my body is telling me to feed it too. I thought after 4 whole days of 400 calories (and 2 of those days I burnt like 600!) it would get used to it but I just had my morning shake and my tummy is still rumbling :-(

Even dog food adverts look appealing right now!

Hiya Woody,
I realised like Tasha said its the mind craving food not the body! I used to eat out of boredom. Have you tried sparkling water? Carry a bottle around with you it helps.
I know what you mean about the cinema, but you've got to think positively about what a great thing you are doing. Achieving a weight loss is much more rewarding than a bag of chips or popcorn anyday.
Just see when you have your weigh in!!! Its fab!! :)
Good luck and keep your chin up you are doing great!
Emma x

Hi Woody, I really feel for you. You are doing great sticking to this, amazing will power. Make sure you are drinking at least 2 litres of water as I think the dark purple suggests concentrated urine. Make sure you let us know when you reach the no appetite phase. :)

Even after 14 weeks my stomach still makes the odd rumbling noise. I'm not physically hungry though. When my stomach feels really empty, usually late at night, I think about it but don't actually feel any hunger. I'm sure this is all in the mind.

Try sparkling water, keep water in a sports bottle on you at all times and keep sipping, especially when you fancy something to eat. Get through this first week and your first weigh in will really spur you on. Good luck and stay strong, you can do this!

Yeh I'm definitely drinking enough water - between 2 and 3 litres throughout the day - I have a stash of sparkling and still and I try to mix it up because the still water is just boring so sparkling spices it up a bit!

I don't think I ever anticipated how hard this would be - iv publicised my blog on my facebook now and iv had so many nice comments about how inspirational I am so that encourages me....but I still can't get food off my mind!!!

Right now I'm wrapped on the sofa in a duvet feeling very sorry for myself :-(

Hi Woody,

I know exactly how you feel, I felt like this even after being in ketosis for the first week to ten days, and I know it feels like for ever, but it is worth handing on, you will be amazed at how quickly the weight falls off.

The first time round I was working as a carer, and I had to cook lunch and breakfast for the old biddies, I am talking egg and bacon, salads and fruit salads, pies and roast dinner, I swear i felt like I would die! it was awful at first.

but, with the support off here, I managed to stay off food, and I think about day 9 or ten, I suddenly thought, 'omg, I'm not hungry or wanting to steal food off an old biddie or out the dog bowl for that matter!'

I went on to do 14 weeks and lose 38lbs, and that is a slow loss for many on LT - others would have lost 3-4 stone by then (Jammy whats its) but I have a thyroid prob along with many other decrepidness's)

so it is absoltely worth it.

in 3 weeks I have lost more weight than I did in 7 months of SW!

stay in the car! you will get there! :shifter:

i really feel for you because i am very similar.... it aint easy at all. its down to pure determination and will power, sure the Ketosis helps but its down to will power and committment at the end of the day... just keep tellin yourself why you are doing this... i wish you well...

Woody, if it's any help I'm day 10 and it's only yesterday I could say I wasn't totally starving any more. And I'm still having my moments, but nothing like as bad as those first 8 days.

I found hot drinks were much better than cold for some reason when I was really hungry - try some peppermint tea or have your last shake hot?

I really hope you get through this - we're all rooting for you! :)

Back