De-cluttering cds/dvds etc

*Emsie*

Gold Member
Am hoping to clear out some cd's/dvd's and books as want to empty some of the furniture have in lounge now so can get some new furniture and have less clutter around.
Has anyone sold anything on the site Magpie I have seen advertised or any where else they would recommend for getting a reasonable/worthwhile amount back.
I know I probably won't get much but seems a shame to just give stuff away when money is tight and have got lots I want to get!

Unfortunately dvd's have almost no value these days now that most things can be downloaded!
I sold a load of my dvd's on ebay at the end of last year but it depends how much hastle you want to go to? I only made on average £1 profit from each after postage and ebay fees and with a few trips to the post office its not really easy money! I looked into music magpie and they were only offering roughly 20 to 30 pence per single dvd and about £1 for older box sets but guess even though much less money its defo much less hastle with only one trip to post office and nothing to pay out!?
Afraid i dont know about cd's but guessing its about same?!!

Personally I'd give them to charity & sell something which will get you more money. I bet if you have a look around the house you'll have something. I have a Waring juicer & was chatting to OH how I'd like an Actifry but no space in the cupboards (don't like stuff on the work surface) he said well you've got that juicer on the side you don't use, 'but I do use it' & when I though about it I'd not used it in over 1 year, I'm now giving it to my son, but if he hadn't wanted it I'd have sold that.

Do you have any books, retro games you can sell on ebay?

Cex is the best place ever to get trade ins!

They have a website, but its a bit faffy. They have stores everywhere. Take the items along (books, DVDs, CDs, consoles, games, electricals, old phones, all sorts!) they'll check them over and scan them all in and tell you what they'll give you for both cash in hand and store credit.

Store credit is always more than the cash, but obviously no good if its the cash you're after! Take some photo ID too if you're wanting cash as you can't get it otherwise.

We regularly go in and take a huge bag full of bits and easily get £50-£70. Hubs also buys his Xbox games this way. He's never bothered for latest releases so just has 3 or 4 at a time, trades them in and gets new ones when he's completed them. Rarely costs him a penny!

They're also definitely the best payers out there too xx

Be careful if you buy back from CEX though - some of their discs are appalling quality! We've had a few experiences of broken games and horribly scratched discs. On a couple of occasions I had to take cash instead of trade as all the copies of the game I wanted were in such bad condition. :(

If its games you are getting rid of, quite a few shops (gamestation did this and I think game will now) pricematch CEX so you get what CEX would pay plus an extra quid. We then discovered that Grainger Games offer to beat any cash/trade price in town by a £1 so we ended up getting an extra £2 on all our games!

I have tried magpie and it does work (the prices are oddly variable!). You could enter everything into the magpie app then get a quote from CEX and see which is best? x

Ooh I forgot! Try amazon marketplace. I have sold a lot on there and some titles bizarrely go for quite a good price, especially more unusual CDs and books! Amazon take a small cut but pay you for postage. Worth a look? x

I got rid of quite a lot of DVDs,Blu Rays,CD's and books last year as I needed to free up some space.

I have used Music Magpie, CEX and Amazon Trade In.

I just compared the prices I would get from music magpie and CEX through their websites for the DVD, Blu Rays and CDs and went with whichever would pay the most.

For the books I used Amazon Trade In (not Amazon Marketplace) and you get an Amazon gift voucher for these. They also often have offers on where if you trade in over a certain amount you'll get an extra £5 credit.

I personally prefered these ways as it was easy and you didn't have to worry about someone bidding on them or not as you know the price you'll get and you just have to post them in one go and wait for the cheque or go to the store and get the cash (I didn't exchange mine for credit in CEX as I knew I'd not buy anything with it and wanted cash).

As has been mentioned you won't make a lot per item but every penny counts xx

Back