Debating starting LL

Brings to mind a good quote:

If you always do, what you always did - you will always get what you always got.... ;)

ATG's, there will ALWAYS be a "Christmas" around every corner.

Yes, food can be enjoyed.....but if you plan to take a break for every occassion, I fear you may struggle immensly with this type of diet?

Surely your mum is interested in your health and would not strap you down and force feed you at Christmas.....but if you really feel you cannot give up one day, I would look long and hard at your reasons for choosing this type of diet. Its not easy - and requires determination and abstainance to be effective. How will you cope when another event comes along?

Good luck in your decision, whichever way you go - but I would really look at what it is that keeps you from wanting to start now, and see your family, on YOUR terms. If you know what I mean.

Good luck hon! :)

LOL - Ok I know that that wouldn't work :) but I enjoy ice cream - I know that I'll eat it again sometime in my life....

I love chinese too and I'll certainly be having it again. It just own't be as a reward. It'll be cos I want it and am choosing to live with the potential consequences.

I know all this thinking sounds a bit weird but it'll all make sense once you start. :)

I love chinese too and I'll certainly be having it again. It just own't be as a reward. It'll be cos I want it and am choosing to live with the potential consequences.

I know all this thinking sounds a bit weird but it'll all make sense once you start. :)

LOL - I hope it'll make sense too!! I just think that after losing 5 stones or so, I'll wanna celebrate with something fun!! I didn't reward myself this week with it for losing 3lbs. that would be silly. But I can't see the harm in rewarding myself at the end!

Thank you ATG :D

I think the point is that celebratory eating or comfort eating is the way we get into this position in the first place.

Guy - that's the nail on the head. Food to celebrate and food to commiserate. There's just no winning with that vicious circle is there?!! Food is there for a reason - to keep us alive.

Eat to live, not live to eat.

xx :D

Brings to mind a good quote:

If you always do, what you always did - you will always get what you always got.... ;)

ATG's, there will ALWAYS be a "Christmas" around every corner.

Yes, food can be enjoyed.....but if you plan to take a break for every occassion, I fear you may struggle immensly with this type of diet?

Surely your mum is interested in your health and would not strap you down and force feed you at Christmas.....but if you really feel you cannot give up one day, I would look long and hard at your reasons for choosing this type of diet. Its not easy - and requires determination and abstainance to be effective. How will you cope when another event comes along?

Good luck in your decision, whichever way you go - but I would really look at what it is that keeps you from wanting to start now, and see your family, on YOUR terms. If you know what I mean.

Good luck hon! :)

Thank you :) I will; this is precisley why I'm not starting it now - why I'm starting it after Christmas.

Also there never is another special event, we don't celebrate birthdays or Easter or anything really, that's why Crimbo is so big in my family.

You've lost heaps - congrats :)

Thank you ATG :D

I think the point is that celebratory eating or comfort eating is the way we get into this position in the first place.

Guy - that's the nail on the head. Food to celebrate and food to commiserate. There's just no winning with that vicious circle is there?!! Food is there for a reason - to keep us alive.

Eat to live, not live to eat.

xx :D

:) I do live and I enjoy a good life! Not all food related. I don't really comfort eat, I just eat the wrong things when I'm eating my meals, and my portions are too big. I don't come home and go ' Wow I got an A in that essay' and eat to celebrate. But part of our Christmas, in fact the majority of the day involves me and my mum cooking and eating with our huge family. That's celebrating I know, but that's the only time we do it! :)

LOL - I hope it'll make sense too!! I just think that after losing 5 stones or so, I'll wanna celebrate with something fun!! I didn't reward myself this week with it for losing 3lbs. that would be silly. But I can't see the harm in rewarding myself at the end!

No harm at all in rewarding yourself but if you start the programme and do lose the 5 stone, I can pretty much guarantee you that the sentance in your sig will be long gone anyway. :) :)

I am sure that once you are losing the weight then your thoughts will also change.

You are not going to want to lose 5 stone and then risk putting it on by overeating. Treats are great once in a while....unfortunately I liked to treat myself on a very regular basis! Although I don't remember getting any A's in essays to treat ,myself over....but it was a long time ago :8855:!!

Do what is best for you over Christmas and then evaluate the situation afterwards :D

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do xx

Hi again ATG - point to think about....

... "I eat the wrong things" ...

... "My portions are always too big" ...

If you think you know what you're doing wrong, why don't you just sort it out? Why do a plan like Lighter Life?? I'll tell you why - because you don't know 'how' to eat - you've never learned. YOu've probably always struggled with your weight and have always seen food and alcohol as 'nice things' - but they are what are clogging up your arteries and shortening you life, one scoop of Ben and Jerrys at a time.

Now - I am no health freak - I'm the same. My mum was big, and I always just ate what I was given. The second I started driving my weight piled on and I was big on and off from the age of about 17. I didn't think I was eating 'too badly', and didn't understand why I was getting bigger... I'd have cereal or toast for breakfast, a sarndwich at lunch, maybe a cake or something from the sandwich shop, and a proper dinner in the evening... but OH, how I was lying to myself... I'd conveniently forget the many other things that would pass my lips through the day - almost subconsciously... it's horrific when you start to realise...

You don't understand what this means yet - but you could google it - but you are a real mix of "adapted and free child" - you should keep your posts saved for when you start the programme. I guarantee you will kick yourself once your eyes have had the tubs of ice cream, and big christmas dinners moved out the way so you can see clearly!! It is such a cathertic experience - you will learn heaps!

A x

PS I'm not a really girlie girl either - having always 'awarded' myself with food or a night out rather than a pair of shoes or a manicure - but again, you will change. Make your reward tickets to a great gig, or agree with your loved one that he/she will have to do everything you want for 24 hours - there are so many rewards beyond food and pink fluffy sh*t, hehe.

Hi again ATG - point to think about....

... "I eat the wrong things" ...

... "My portions are always too big" ...

If you think you know what you're doing wrong, why don't you just sort it out? Why do a plan like Lighter Life?? I'll tell you why - because you don't know 'how' to eat - you've never learned. YOu've probably always struggled with your weight and have always seen food and alcohol as 'nice things' - but they are what are clogging up your arteries and shortening you life, one scoop of Ben and Jerrys at a time.

Now - I am no health freak - I'm the same. My mum was big, and I always just ate what I was given. The second I started driving my weight piled on and I was big on and off from the age of about 17. I didn't think I was eating 'too badly', and didn't understand why I was getting bigger... I'd have cereal or toast for breakfast, a sarndwich at lunch, maybe a cake or something from the sandwich shop, and a proper dinner in the evening... but OH, how I was lying to myself... I'd conveniently forget the many other things that would pass my lips through the day - almost subconsciously... it's horrific when you start to realise...

You don't understand what this means yet - but you could google it - but you are a real mix of "adapted and free child" - you should keep your posts saved for when you start the programme. I guarantee you will kick yourself once your eyes have had the tubs of ice cream, and big christmas dinners moved out the way so you can see clearly!! It is such a cathertic experience - you will learn heaps!

A x

PS I'm not a really girlie girl either - having always 'awarded' myself with food or a night out rather than a pair of shoes or a manicure - but again, you will change. Make your reward tickets to a great gig, or agree with your loved one that he/she will have to do everything you want for 24 hours - there are so many rewards beyond food and pink fluffy sh*t, hehe.

I'm going to google that :)

Yes, I do know what some of the problems are; just a week on WW showed me what I was doing wrong portion wise - I couldn't believe my eyes!! LOL

I lost 3lbs this week on WW, so I'm really chuffed. Also the LL lady emailed me back, so I think that I'll go along to the free information day first and find out a bit more about it.

I was also talking to a friend this afternoon, she did LL, lost heaps, then piled it all back on again :( :eek: Such a shame. She said that it was fab because the weight comes off quickly, but she wouldn't do it again; for her it was harder to keep the weight off when back on 'proper' food, she said it was fine during LL, but afterwards was the hardest and she couldn't do it.

I've a lot of food for thought here guys thanks (pardon the pun :8855:!) I'm going to lose weight - I WILL, I am in fact, but I need to research which is the best route for me to personally take.

Fair enough ATG - you seem to be weighing up the pros and cons for each - and well done on your 3lb WW loss - that's great for that diet... you should be chuffed, and rightly so!

As for LL long term - there is a high chance of people putting the weight back on if they don't do Route to Management and continue 'managing' on an ongoing basis. A lot of people (I don't know about your friend) lose the weight, feel fantastic and think they have the control and the knowledge to then go back to food without the full LL support programme and it goes back on... the success rate of keeping the weight off if you do it 'properly' is great. It's a real life change, and you can't EVER go back to eating like you did before - I am going to be exercising like mad when I am back on food, and will probably keep going to the free management workshops (monthly) that LL offers - these are available to ex-LLers for the rest of their lives if they need help or find they are struggling to keep their weight down.

Good luck, whatever you choose :)

A x

OMG Anna, you have just described ME... this is exactly how I thought, I couldn't (or wouldn't) understand why my weight was creeping up, I eat healthily, right?! And it's exactly as you say, it's not the main meals but it's the drinks from Costa's / Starbucks... the snack after work 'just to tide u over til dinner'... it's the goodies in work coz we've had a good day / good week / it's someone's bday / or just for the hell of it... etc etc etc... Doing LL has been like having a light switched on for me... I just hope to God that I can manage and maintain my weight, and not go back to old habits, once I reach goal....

there are so many rewards beyond food and pink fluffy sh*t, hehe.

LMAO!!

Back