Deciding maximum syns for an occasion..

kimberleycandukan

Silver Member
Good Morning everyone!!!

I'm going to see a good old friend in London today and we're having a MASSIVE binge as she is about to start studying again alongside work and she has to move too so basically this is her (and my) only chance to partayyy until its all over.

I stayed in last night and didn't drink. I don't know the last Friday I didn't have a drink- possibly months and months ago- possibly years?!

Anyway I'm going up at 1pm ish. We're going to pubs, we're going for dinner, we're going to bars and it won't end until we go to the chippy at about 5am before stumbling home.

I already know all of this and as its only my first week on Slimming World (day 3!!!) I want to try and remember that I can set my own syn level and still feel in control. Chances are after 3 vodka's I won't be able to count syns anymore anyway.
So what shall I do?

I know all of the above will happen and that is not going to change. I will be careful while I'm sober, make the right choices today and hopefully for dinner tonight, but after that its pretty much a free for all.

So do I just go with it, and start again tomorrow, or still try and make this upper syn limit and stick to it? And if the latter is best then what should it be?! Usual night would probably be 6 double vodka's, 2 jaegarmeisters and then food. Thatsabout 40 syns just on drink!

What do others do in this situation (apart from not go; not drink; be good; bla bla bla- thats not happening!)

Hi,
I would probably decide to set a limit on syns and drink and try and make the best choices I can on food. It helps me to feel in control. I would also get right back into it tomorrow. Are you prepared, have you got hungover food in your fridge that is on plan? Enjoy your night x

I once read somewhere: fail to prepare, prepare to fail!

You're right! I've had frylight fried egg on one 400g slice wholemeal, cup of tea and apple. Skipped the ketchup and butter to save syns.
I'm taking some home made ratatouille and brown pasta on the train for the journey- without cheese!!! And I've peeled 2 carrots- one for today, one for tomorrow, got 2 bananas and 4 apples.
Tomorrow I feel safe in the knowledge I can have beans on toast for brekkie and still be back on track!

Still don't know what my syn limit should be though.... tum de dum..

When im in this situation I just b good all week untill I drink... then whatever happens happens...i use my syns weekly so after I weigh on a Thurs morning i go syn free and save them all for the weekend then I go syn free again up untill I weigh :) works for me...if U cant go syn free try just having no more than 5 a day x

For me, I would just go out and have fun, but be mindful of ways I can save syns, as you have already said through no butter etc. For me personally there would be no point setting a syn limit, as once I've had a few drinks I would lose count! Maybe try and drink drinks which are lower on the syn values though. Also if you aren't sure exactly on where you are going/what you are doing this maybe hard to know how many syns would be reasonable. If you know where you are going for dinner I would take a look at the menu prior to going and see if you can save syns there. I have heard of people who eat what they like after weight in and still lose the rest of the week. What day is your weight in though? That may change how much chance you have got to save yourself!

I would then eat no/ around 5 syns for the following days and the days prior. Things like veggie soups, salads etc. if you really want to have any chance of even a small loss. I have done a week like this and still maintained, always better than a gain! Also remember if your meal out contains syns, you don't have to eat everything. Maybe have half the portion of chips for example, every little choice like this will make a small difference!

Thank you very much for your advice everyone, I had a lovely evening thank you!
I said no to the 2 tubes of pringles and chocolate buttons, and didn't get anything from the chippy on the way home but we did have takeaway pizza (sigh) which I worked out at 46 syns.
I had 79 in total yesterday, but I had a nice time and believe it or not, I could have had many MANY more and I didn't.

I was just wondering....

I didn't have my healthy extra A yesterday- but obviously there was cheese on the pizza. Am I allowed to take 5 syns off or does it not work like that? There's no point me cheating myself is there!

By the way I think you're all wonderful- hope you're having a lovely Sunday!!!! :)

Also- weigh in is Weds night so hopefully plenty of time to redeem myself!!
I like the idea of syn free during the week if going out at the weekend. Seems fair and logical.

I would take the syns off for the cheese for my healthy a and take what you had of that off the 46 syns, can I ask did you have 46 or was that between you. I will give you an example, one week I had a total of 58 syns one night and I'm allowed 20 (not for much longer though) and I calculated that I can have 120 syns (I didn't include weigh in day) and what I did was added what I had including the 58 syns, took this total away from 120 to see what I had left for the rest of the week (2 days more) and I stayed within what I was allowed just (cant remember exactly how many I had used in total and how many I had left) and that week I lost half a pound so it is possible to lose when you have one bad night.

I also had the melon but not the soup so I reckon the melon helped

Orla thats a fab idea!! Thanks! Although last nights binge makes me 9.5 syns OVER my total for the week with your method. Maybe I'll go easy on the syns the next few days.
And I'm chuffed I can take the cheese off!

I had 4 slices at 11.5 syns a slice. Well I think anyway, the book says per 100g but I have no idea how much a slice weighs!

Feeling chirpy after a beautiful homemade tomato and basil soup this evening (and I grew the basil myself so even more satisfying!!!!)
Have a lovely evening everyone! :)

Delighted to be of help to you, don't worry about the 9.5 syns over, get the melon and start eating that immediately (grin and bear for the sake of a minus on weigh in day) and if you can make the soup, this was fantastic for me last week, my loss last week was the second best loss I had and I have been in slimming world almost nine months so it definitely does work (my best loss was the first week after joining like most people). What I love most about slimming world is you can fall and we all are human at the end of the day but we get back on again and we lose the gain and a lot more.

Orla- I'm a little confuzzled re: melon and soup..

Melon is promoted a lot in our group, this is an SS food and I have to say any week I eat the melon a lot I usually have a big loss

The soup is called speed soup, I will post it in the winter recipes if it is not up there already, another invaluable way of reducing that gain or even to get a maintain

Back