Decisions re: Slimming World

KittenKat

Operation Hottie Kidnap
Hi all

I've been going to Group since early May 2011, and have lost 2 stone thus far. I've already had to change Group once due to splittign with my ex and moving house. Now, my hours at work have changed and it's more difficult for me to get to Group, so I've been thinking about changing to Online membership.

However, upon speaking with Slimming World HQ yesterday, it turns out that if I change from Group to Online membership I will lose all of my progress to date on the LifelineOnline website, as they cannot just carry over my memership, I have to start from scratch. Now, that has annoyed me greatly as I personally find it a bit of a kick in the teeth having spent the money I already have with them. I will still be paying membership and have access to exactly the same website! I know I can still fill in my progress in my actual book and that I will know how much I've lost overall but... to me that's not the point.

So I'm now pondering whether to just tell them to stuff it and go it alone from home. My issues with doing this are whether I will lose motivation and not stick to plan as well and the fact that I do use the website a lot for the syns database, etc.

Have any of you guys gone from attending Group to Online membership or to doing it from home on your own? If so, how did you find it? Did you miss being able to access the website, etc?

Thanks
A slightly miffed KK!

Is there no group at all you can attend? I would rather keep going, in fact before New Year I was paying for four weeks and attending two at most! But still with access to website etc.

I haven't but just wanted to totally agree with your outrage!! that is so ridiculous and I completely agree that you should be miffed, sorry I'm no help just didn't wanna read and run xxx

Is there no group at all you can attend? I would rather keep going, in fact before New Year I was paying for four weeks and attending two at most! But still with access to website etc.

Not on a day or at a time that suits, without heading miles away. The great thing about my current one is that I can head there straight from work on my way home, but that won't work now I've had to change my hours. There is a later class on the same evening but that means having to go home and then head out again later in the evening, and would mean not getting to eat until 9.00 - 9.30pm at the earliest, which is not something I want to do. And even though the latter group is run by the same person as my current one, it does not have a great reputation for some reason.

Not on a day or at a time that suits, without heading miles away. The great thing about my current one is that I can head there straight from work on my way home, but that won't work now I've had to change my hours. There is a later class on the same evening but that means having to go home and then head out again later in the evening, and would mean not getting to eat until 9.00 - 9.30pm at the earliest, which is not something I want to do. And even though the latter group is run by the same person as my current one, it does not have a great reputation for some reason.
Could you not eat before weigh in? If you did each week it wouldn't make any difference in the long run .
That is annoying about not being able to transfer your info to online though! Seems ridiculous!

Sorry, but unless I'm missing something, I don't understand what the problem would be 'starting from scratch'. No-one could take away your progress thus far.

Only you know whether you 'need' to attend a group for support - if you can manage without, why not save some pennies and stick with this site for advice & support.

Sorry, but unless I'm missing something, I don't understand what the problem would be 'starting from scratch'. No-one could take away your progress thus far.

I would lose my weight loss progress to date on the LifelineOnline website. i.e it would not show my overall weightloss, only from when I started my online membership.

I shall ponder the options over the next couple of weeks and then make my mind up.

Thanks for your input guys, really appreciated. :)

Whatever you decide,please carry on with one of the options.
You have done so well and deserve the best for youself.
Lots of luck whatever you decide

Good luck whatever you decide.

I tried to go it alone but failed and gained all of the weight again. Part of the problem was that I was going to a class at a time that did not suit. So I joined a new morning class which was better for me, and I love my class. However it is about a 30min journey on a motorway to get there. I feel like I work harder because I put the effort into actually get there.

I would lose my weight loss progress to date on the LifelineOnline website. i.e it would not show my overall weightloss, only from when I started my online membership.

I can see that this would be annoying, but ultimately your body is a much better record of your progress! And that goes everywhere with you.

I left my group and joined online. It seemed a lot of money just for access to the website and I cheated on WI day! Maybe I expected too much, but a daily or even a weekly email might have helped but all you get is a weekly email telling you to enter your weight - I felt a bit abandoned :(
I am now doing SW on my own, using my old book and this site for help with syns etc. I weigh in once a week on the scales at the gym and get a print out. It's working so far albeit slowly! 1lb last week, 2lb this week.
I have given myself until Easter to see how it goes and if I am not still losing I will rejoin a group I think.

If it was me hun, I'd go to the later group and eat my tea before I went. Yep, you'll weight a bit heavier but if you do it each week it will only register the once - if that makes sense!

The problem with eating my dinner before I go to the later class is that I'm not really going to have all that much time to get home from work, get dinner sorted, eat and get to class on time. Especially as now I'm working until later I never seem to actually get out of work on time, unlike when I finished earlier! Plus, if I eat that early, by the time I get home from class I'll be hungry again!

Still pondering the options, not rushing into anything one way or the other yet.

I have online membership - I like belonging to SW officially, so that helps me with motivation in a sense. And I like the thought that when I'm at target I could apply to be in the magazine :D That said, I don't use the site all that often - if I have a syn inquiry, it's often quicker just to search Minimins than log into SW Online.

One thing I think really helps, though, to keep me on track is that I don't weigh in at home - I have my official weigh in at the gym on Friday evening each week. I think it helps to have a routine, and to stick to it. That way it's like group weigh in, only with less pressure :)

i went it alone and found i lost motivation to easy, i've now joined online (i never went group though) and have stuck to it the whole 6 weeks i've been on it. Not even been tempted to drift off. The prospect of paying £60 and losing it by not sticking to it gave me a little motivation to stay on track.

Back