Deflating the Bouncy Castle

i'm going to have psychotherapy. hopefully a combination of approaches with a traditional approach to the underlying issues and also some CBT for the day to day. Was going to have it during the CD process, but quickly realised that i can't really remember how the compulsions feel when i'm SSing, so not much point.

i've read beck, but i feel gillian rilley has a better grasp on my particular mindset.

Just had my lunch. quorn mince and mushroom dry fried, with a tomato soup pack. it looked the business, really rich and bolognaisey. absolutely tonnes of it (we have bowls you can fit a whole can of soup into, and it filled one of those)... but it was not pleasant tasting. i like the umami taste (like mushrooms and marmite etc) as much as the next girl, but this tasted... musty. Didn't finish it, which is unheard of for me, partly because i was stuffed, and partly because i wasn't enjoying it at all.

AND i wasted a pack on it that i won't be able to have later!

Sounds like it looked good. Well, at least your were stuffed, even if it didn't taste too good. Lots more rips to try I am sure. :)

thanks.

i was better with food yesterday, so i'm going ahead with my last two 810 meals. just about to cook a mushroom omelette.

went to a friend's last night to watch 'Strictly', and another friend's for sunday lunch today (obv, i had my bar). I don't really mind watching other people eating at all any more.

I also found my cambridge booklet tonight, and had a read-through of foods on the higher steps. *shudder*. Everything i hate about normal diet plans. the lists are so limited - and i'm sure not for carb reasons, but rather for space, and it's really not very clearly written in places.

I think I binned my book :(

I guess I should start looking for details o the next steps, but I want to crack the last stone first, as I am really struggling right now to concentrate on it.

What is involved in psychotherapy then?

i think the methods of psychotherapy vary. When i've had it in the past it's been a way of talking through feelings and problems, but CBT is more structured and gives you things to do to stop you doing bad stuff.

have been looking at the steps recently as well. it isn't that clear and i agree i think it's like that to make stuff fit on the page!
step 3 isn't too bad, it's 810 plus v. small brekkie, carbs at dinner and fruit.
then step 5 is quite flexible i think.
it's step 4 that's a huge pain - they're trying to be flexible but it makes it confusing, you can have a v.small brekkie and medium lunch or the other way around. will def need to make a meal planner.

you ideally only have to do a couple of weeks on each higher step anyway, so can just do a meal planner for each step and follow the same every week.

to plan for step 3 i basically copied out what you're allowed, excluding stuff i wouldn't eat anyway then did a meal planner. i haven't tried to do anything interesting with it, it's basically my SS+ plan plus a bit of carbs/fruit and less stingy on the veg.

it's a long way off anyway - but things like: we're allowed 150kcals fruit - so why don't they say how many grammes of any given fruit that is? also - what about fruits not listed? i'm pretty sure blackberries are low GI, but the list is so short! and again this ridiculous compulsion to measure everything in tablespoons! 1 tablespoon of lettuce doesn't have the same cals or carbs as 1 tablespoon of celeriac. and what does a tablespoon of veg look like anyway? is it as much as will balance on the spoon, or is it the same volume as 1 tbsp liquid? it's stupid, stupid, stupid.

BUTTTTTTTTT. It's also four months away, so y'know - i should calm down a bit.

Except also, all that rubbish about 'scrapings of low fat spread'. it's surely much healthier in retraining our food habits, to have proper food but have it less often, than to eat highly processed food lacking in flavour on a regular basis, just because it's an analogue for the real thing. I mean, skimmed milk - fine, wholegrains - fine... these are healthy foods. but low fat spread is just for dieters, you can't cook with it, you can't use it on toast. *shrug* It's like drinking diet coke all day instead of addressing the constant need to have something sweet.

all in my opinion obviously.

grr - it boils my wee!

I, rightly or wrongly, have no confidence in the later steps of CD.
I know lots of people talk about missing going back up the steps has led them to putting their wright back on. But like you, I think the book is more style over substance!
I'll be moving from 810 to SW/calorie counting.
I think as long as you have a maintenance plan you'll be following - then it'll work for you.
I don't want to be super restricted for a few weeks - I instead need to learn to live in a moderate fashion - forever!
I think its good we are planning ahead though. 4months isn't that long - not really!

yeah - i'm considering dietchef for steps four and five. Obviously not the high-carb options like mac and cheese, but most of it is low GI, and the packs need you to add your own carbs, fruit and veg - to make up the recommended for 1200 cals, but with fewer or more starchy things you could keep the cals and carbs right. I shall buy the Holford GI/GL book too, to use as my reference, and increase the grammes of carbs gradually, in line with the steps - but design my own eating allowances.

It's a shame, because i think CD is an excellent diet up to 810... and then it just seems like the worst kind of diet industry silliness. I'm sure it works - and if they didn't try and cover everything in so few words I would probably be able to use it, but as it is, it doesn't inspire faith.

Oh I can vouch for this, that if you do at least 1 week at each of the calorific levels (as opposed to the plans) then you will be fine, I actually came off CD the first time around and just followed a south beach esq plan, which was great. The problems did not arise until much later and the bun was in the oven :(

I actually think that maintainance is the key, you have to eat for your type, I would go so far as to say it is imperrative to understand what metabolic type you are, and I bet all of us around here have similar typing which is why we are drawn to this type of plan.

Put the book down anyway, it is a bit rubbish - I am a total dukan fan, which is what I plan on doing when I am begining to face eating properly again.

Mmmmm bun.......

so that's '810' week done and dusted. I only had as much as 810 kcals on one or two days, actually - mostly my cautious portion sizes meant i was under that... so not quite what NICE asked of me, but nevertheless, i thought it was interesting and, on balance, worth doing. Staying 'in touch' with conventional food was probably something i needed to do when the end of this diet is barely in sight.

Looking forward to the easiness of SS again, though.

this morning's scales suggest a small loss, maybe 1.5 - 2lbs, depending on what i wear today and how much weight i gain in other ways - may even end up as a STS. But that's fine. This is the one week where my expectations are not so high.

Good luck with WI!

Only a pound - not even as much as i'd hoped. But what can you do...? I had a blinding loss last week and I always remember Cerulean's ticker says she gained in her 810 week - so at least it wasn't that.

1 pound is good. I've lost and gained the same half pound over the past 12days - and Im on SS!

Sometimes it just happens!

To still lose a lb is awesome, especially as most people might gain due to water retention, I STS on my first 810 week,

Well done - every pound is a pound in the right direction!

Back