Deflating the Bouncy Castle

BethEdwards said:
I'm five foot one and get comments about my size all the time. in work (im a television reporter) im the first person they turn to if they need anonymous shots of children. that always made me a bit miffed. but a few months back they asked me to eat a macdonalds on camera so i asked why? and they said they were doing a piece on fat children and their unhealthy diets. that was probably the worst day i have ever had in work. working in television is horrid sometimes.

That has made me so angry on your behalf!! Having a little rant in my head about it. Hope you weren't too upset by it and saw their attitude as the ignorance and idiocy that it was. Grrrr xxx

Yep, that is just plain rude! x

That's the industry folks!

That's got to be why news reporters are thin, perhaps the did some poll and overweight people were not taken seriously, look at Loraine Kelly, fern britton and eamon holms. They all struggled to be the main presenters of TV shows while overweight. I think it may have seen eamon off!

It's a sick, sick world the media!

Thats awful! Id probably have fallen into a major depression about that one. Idiots.

So, recently I have had to deal with my first bits of scepticism about this kind of diet. I've always told everyone (except the teenaged girls i teach) exactly what diet i'm doing and no one has said anything negative (to my face - which is all i care about).

Then at christmas I was talking to my mum's relatively new boyfriend - and he seemed very concerned that it wasn't safe... though when i told him it was NICE approved and that variations of VLCDs were given in hospitals, he seemed ok with that.

Then the other day I was talking to a colleague about it and my line manager was there, and when i mentioned ketosis, she interjected 'is that the same as ketoacidosis', which is a dangerous condition in diabetes. I said it was a light ketosis which enables the body to burn fat more effciently, but she said 'but it is a bit dangerous then?' I explained about the NICE guidelines and week 13 but she still seemed a bit concerned - and i din't have time to give a more full explanation... and besides, she's sort of right.

Then today i was doing some photocopying and chatting to my friend who works in media resources, and the new woman who as started in there started asking about it, and kept saying 'well i don't think it can be successful, can it?' comparing it to WW and SW. I pointed out that the stats for regaining weight are exactly the same for VLCDs as things like slimming world, but she kept bloody ignoring me, and going on about how SW and WW teach people self-control. So after repeating my evidence twice, in the end I said 'but clearly SW and WW *don't* teach people self-control and portion size effectively, because otherwise they *wouldn't* be just as likely to regain all their weight as people on a VLCD'. I don't think she's very bright, is one thing - but she really p*ssed me off. I don't really mind people like my mum's BF or my line manager expressing concern... it's when people don't listen to what you say, the answers you give - give you credit for actually having done your research and knowing a tonne more about it than they do.

Anyway, so. Nearly 6 months in and i've had my first bit of irritating scepticism. I can live with that.

Well put, a well educated answer is the best you can give, if they are happy to listen to their own advice so be it! Brave of you to be straight with everyone, I'd dread explaining again and again!

Exactly. People believe what they want to believe hun. people can't seem to understand that it is actually ok to get by on very few calories if that is what works and if you are generally otherwise healthy. Ideally we would all learn 'self control' but unless you have experienced the horror of being stuck in a binge/ purge cycle frankly you [ the public] should just shut up!!!

And yes, it is NICE approved and we are all still Alive to tell the tale! And no we are not morons who have just plopped in to this on a whim without researching it.Besides, what do people think actually happens to patient's diets after they have bariatric surgery (performed and supervised an agreed to by doctors!!!).... Erm they end up on a VLCD!!!!

Anyway yes... Seems I feel very irritated by negative attitudes and your post has touched a nerve. Sod 'em lovely! Also having worked with people with mental health problems I have found that you should never criticise anyone's life choices if they are trying to achieve something. You never know the back story.

Ok, rant over! To summarise: lots of support sent your way xx

You never can get through to those kind of people what ever way you word or stress it.

I have tried an alternative aproach, I start by telling them that lots of people who cant understand the detail of the plan often think it is a fad diet or a diet that is risky to health, and that I infact had this view before I did lots of research about it, once I had completed the research, and been checked and OK'd by my medical practice, I could see the benefits......then I go into the technical ketosis bit.

This way I have already agreed with them that I was a sceptic too, which does sometimes get them to listen a little more.........although there are always those that are so wrapped up in their own views that they dont listen to anything or anyone!

I've had the negatives but so many people have also said they wouldn't have the will power to live on shakes and soups and actually stick at it. Now people can see a difference they realise just how it makes me feel to be a healthier weight and what it really means to me. Also, I would say that this winter I've had no bugs, colds etc. etc. but I am touching a lot of wood having said that as I really don't want to go down with the plague LOL

Well done Spangles - you and I are now officially only "OVERWEIGHT" and no longer obese - result I think! xxx

Not me yet, alderney. BMI still 33.1 . As soon as I get into the twenties it'll be happy days, as I can then go see my doctor for a referral to the fertility clinic.

Oh sorry, just realised I was looking at your goal BMI and not your actual .... well you are very near, not much more to lose now.

I see light at the end of both our tunnels!!! LOL

Not me yet, alderney. BMI still 33.1 . As soon as I get into the twenties it'll be happy days, as I can then go see my doctor for a referral to the fertility clinic.

That's what I'm aiming for, well i'd like to get lower but as soon as i'm on 29.999999999 bmi then i'm hammering the drs door down :D I'd just like some tests to figure out what's wrong with my body but not allowed until i've lost weight :mad:

i was in exactly that situation, so i sold a load of stuff one ebay, and my mum gave me some money for my birthday, and i had the tests privately.

expensive but for me it was worth it.

I'm tempted to go private but part of me would rather not know, at least until i've sorted the weight issue out because If its something serious I'd rather be healthy enough for something to be done, if that makes sense.

makes perfect sense. i just needed some answers because i was driving myself crazy with the desperate hoping and the crushing despair month after month. after being told i was really unlikely to conceive naturally, it took the pressure off - and left me free to concentrate on finding the headspace to lose the weight. it also meant i knew I *had* to lose weight. without that medical advice that i would need ivf, i'd have gone on hoping my weight was nothing to do with it (which as it turns out, it probably wasn't), and avoiding losing weight.

In doing the same I have had the tests and tried clomid to no avail :( so now i can have fertility injections if I get to 35 bmi I can pay £800 a cycle or I can have them free if I get to 30 :) so 30 here I come.. I'm 38.9 now but was 51 :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Your both getting there, I don't have much problem getting preg just stating preg :( which they say is down to weight but I thinks a cop out, but hey ho can't really argue with them xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Innnnnnnnnteresting.

Went to my GP to see about monday's fainting plus funny feeling in my inner ear...

while i was there, i hopped on her scales, just for reference.

ok - so, at my cdc on tuesday evening her scales said - 13st 4.75lbs
on my digi scales on tuesday evening my scales said - 13st 5.6lbs
my digi scales currently say - 13st 5.4
my old mechanical scales say about the same (that's why I got rid - can't get an accurate reading)
BUT - my doctor's scales (and they weren't the ones with the slidey weights, but they were mechanical and looked better than mine, said 82kg - which is 12st 12.4!

What.

The actual.

F*ck?

She did say they were due to be calibrated - but that's half a stone difference!

So tempting to believe the lower figure... but logic and common sens tells me that I should take the three that more or less agree as being more likely to be true. Rats.

Back