Deflating the Bouncy Castle

I'm joining the somewhat long list of posters who have trudged through your diary!

I am inspired (along with everyone else) at how you have progressed, and I really hope those extra pounds do a disappearing act before your next weigh in.

my only regret is that I have come to your diary so late, I do hope you keep it up as you continue to lose/maintain :)

Hiya love, just to let you know i'm back to joining you lot to shift this last stone, SW is taking yonks and quite frankly I haven't got the patience! Wish me luck and i'll be here more often from here on in xxxxxxx

With the blood type thing - how would that work that work in an evolutionary sense? If we really are suited to certain foods based on blood type, how would people have eaten the right foods for them in times where technology had not developed so no one would even know the their blood type! And we aren't drawn to these foods any more than any other foods. I don't know my blood type either I'm not saying it wouldn't work but just would also think scientific proof would have validated the effectiveness of eating for your blood type if that were the case?

Iva- welcome!

Violetta!!! Welcome back, petal. Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lara - I don't know enough about this theory to be honest: it may be scientifically sound so I am reserving judgement. I'm just a bit, or rather a lot cynical about the theories expounded by a lot of nutritionists, who by the nature of what they do quite often assert pseudoscientific theories that don't stand up to scrutiny. I'm afraid I'm quite annoyingly sceptical about most stuff until I've reviewed a range of evidence.

Is it not enough to know that Tia and Tamera lowry (of sister sister fame) endorse it? ;)

bettiesrevenge said:
Is it not enough to know that Tia and Tamera lowry (of sister sister fame) endorse it? ;)

Ha ha! Used to love them!

I'm so annoyed that I am not supposed to have prawns. But it is intersing that a lot of what the blood type diet says about type A applies to me (not good with citrus, or milk, or red meat, or potatoes, etc.).

:8855:

I'm so annoyed that I am not supposed to have prawns. But it is intersing that a lot of what the blood type diet says about type A applies to me (not good with citrus, or milk, or red meat, or potatoes, etc.).

As a type O, I'm not sure my life's worth living anymore. No wheat, no dairy, no beans, no strawberries... :cry:

But hey, if there is any truth to it, no wonder my body's f**ked up. I'm not supposed to eat any of my favourite things!

With the blood type thing - how would that work that work in an evolutionary sense? If we really are suited to certain foods based on blood type, how would people have eaten the right foods for them in times where technology had not developed so no one would even know the their blood type! And we aren't drawn to these foods any more than any other foods. I don't know my blood type either I'm not saying it wouldn't work but just would also think scientific proof would have validated the effectiveness of eating for your blood type if that were the case?

It could easily be psuedoscience. But as even 'proper' scientists are swayed into drawing the conclusions they do thanks to huge bungs from pharmaceutical companies etc (I'm equally cynical, Spangles :)), there could just as easily be something to it. The explanation about evolution goes as follows:

Blood Group O was the first blood type to be identified, although how we know this is anyone’s guess – we’re talking about our hunter-gatherer ancestors who were around in 50,000 B.C! Nevertheless, Dr D’Adamo believes because our type O ancestors survived and thrived on a high-protein, meat-based diet, that’s the type of diet blood group Os should follow in the 21st century.

Next came the emergence of blood type A, sometime around 15,000 B.C! By this time, our ancestors’ hunter-gathering days were over and instead they started to settle into farming-type communities. The creation of blood type A around this time meant our ancestors did well on a vegetarian-based diet. And again, Dr D’Adamo recommends that blood group A’s should today follow a veggie diet.

Blood type B supposedly evolved around 10,000 B.C thanks to our nomadic ancestors. They left their farms and started wandering the land, constantly moving from place to place. Consequently, Dr D'Adamo's theory goes, blood group B’s today can get away with eating a varied diet that consists of most foods including meat, dairy, grains and vegetables.

Finally, came blood type AB, which evolved just 1,000 years ago! Dr D'Adamo thinks this blood type helped our ancestors make the transition to modern times. Meaning that people with blood group AB can eat a mixture of the foods suitable for both blood group A and blood group B.

(extract from: The Blood Group Diet Review)

I too am not a great believer in untested hypothsis - but as Lily and Mel have said, I definately have a bad response to some foods, and it's most notably the ones with wheat and sugar in. Perhaps I am an O too.

I checked out the metabolic typing diet, and pretty much conclusively I am destined for a life of high protein/moderate fat diet and I dont think I should have dairy at all. I get super absorbant with diary.

I am going to check out to see how many clinical trails have been done, if GP's are reccomending it, then they must have robust reasons to do it and I doubt they are on D'Adamo's payrol.

I too am not a great believer in untested hypothsis - but as Lily and Mel have said, I definately have a bad response to some foods, and it's most notably the ones with wheat and sugar in. Perhaps I am an O too.

I checked out the metabolic typing diet, and pretty much conclusively I am destined for a life of high protein/moderate fat diet and I dont think I should have dairy at all. I get super absorbant with diary.

I am going to check out to see how many clinical trails have been done, if GP's are reccomending it, then they must have robust reasons to do it and I doubt they are on D'Adamo's payrol.
Sorry for butting in, but a friend of mine got told to do the blood group diet by her doctor for her bad skin, she is in her 40s, I think she has been on it a year now and has lost a huge amount of weight due to her group not allowing her lots of carbs and high protien, but most of all her skin has cleared a lot! So not saying the diet is a miracle, but must it must work for some!!!

Interesting. But I guess that isn't surprising as (and this is me being an utter cynic :rolleyes:) the two most common food intolerances are wheat and dairy. Cut those out, and lots of people are going to feel better. I have long suspected I'm intolerant to wheat - in fact, during my most recent fall from the Cambridge wagon I rediscovered that eating bread gave me awful awful indigestion that no amount of Tums would shift. :( I gave up dairy for a while last year between April and August on my now infamous stint on Marisa Peer's diet plan. I'm less convinced that giving up dairy made much difference (put it this way, I didn't feel awful when I reintroduced it!) but it did at least give me a taste for mint tea. :)

Lily said:
It could easily be psuedoscience. But as even 'proper' scientists are swayed into drawing the conclusions they do thanks to huge bungs from pharmaceutical companies etc (I'm equally cynical, Spangles :)), there could just as easily be something to it. The explanation about evolution goes as follows:

Blood Group O was the first blood type to be identified, although how we know this is anyone's guess - we're talking about our hunter-gatherer ancestors who were around in 50,000 B.C! Nevertheless, Dr D'Adamo believes because our type O ancestors survived and thrived on a high-protein, meat-based diet, that's the type of diet blood group Os should follow in the 21st century.

Next came the emergence of blood type A, sometime around 15,000 B.C! By this time, our ancestors' hunter-gathering days were over and instead they started to settle into farming-type communities. The creation of blood type A around this time meant our ancestors did well on a vegetarian-based diet. And again, Dr D'Adamo recommends that blood group A's should today follow a veggie diet.

Blood type B supposedly evolved around 10,000 B.C thanks to our nomadic ancestors. They left their farms and started wandering the land, constantly moving from place to place. Consequently, Dr D'Adamo's theory goes, blood group B's today can get away with eating a varied diet that consists of most foods including meat, dairy, grains and vegetables.

Finally, came blood type AB, which evolved just 1,000 years ago! Dr D'Adamo thinks this blood type helped our ancestors make the transition to modern times. Meaning that people with blood group AB can eat a mixture of the foods suitable for both blood group A and blood group B.

(extract from: The Blood Group Diet Review)

I hope this isn't true! I don't want to be a veggie! :(

I hope this isn't true! I don't want to be a veggie! :(

LOL, no - it looks no fun at all! Even the good bits (well, good to me!) about being a veggie (potatoes and pasta) are apparently off limits.

Are GPs recommending it? or is it just one or two? cos Just as you have teachers who aren't very good with people, you have doctors who aren't very good scientists (hence NHS money having been spent on homeopathic therapies... I like to keep an open mind about alternative therapies until i've seen the evidence, like i've said... but the idea that diluting a substance so many times, that there'd be more of that substance in tap water than the homeopathic 'medicine'... well actually, it makes me really angry).

Also - the evolutionary explanation only makes sense if, when these new bloodtypes were developed, they superseded the previous bloodtype. or if they became predominant in the appropriate geographical area. I suspect that, like food combining, the reason people lose weight on these diets is because they're cutting out a lot of sh1t (i don't imagine any blood type is encouraged to eat sugar, or bread, or deep-fried food...), and also because they force you to start paying careful attention to what you eat.

If this was the accepted wisdom, then given the obesity epidemic surely the NHS and public health authorities would be dropping the five-a-day message in favour of telling everyone their blood type, and suggesting different meals for different folks.

I think different people do react differently to different kinds of food - but i think that can be explained by intolerances, and also things like metabolic syndrome x (known as pre-diabetes), over-production of certain hormones... issues with leptin and insulin...

Don't get me started on '5 a day'... ;) I'll start quoting Zoe Harcombe and Barry Groves at you! :)

Are the scales still up today?

It all looked a bit too simple to me. I think I will just stick to the obvious healthy eating plans.

What I don't understand is how it's more expensive to buy fresh food as ingredients rather then buy the finished un-Godly product. Surely, if healthy eating is being encouraged, it should work out cheaper to buy fresh veg, fruit, meat and fish to make a meal than it is to buy a pizza.

I can understand why so many kids around here are obese when their parents struggle to feed them on anything other than cr&p from Iceland. We pay a premium for fags and booze- why not on really naughty food :eek:

spangles said:
Are GPs recommending it? or is it just one or two? cos Just as you have teachers who aren't very good with people, you have doctors who aren't very good scientists (hence NHS money having been spent on homeopathic therapies... I like to keep an open mind about alternative therapies until i've seen the evidence, like i've said... but the idea that diluting a substance so many times, that there'd be more of that substance in tap water than the homeopathic 'medicine'... well actually, it makes me really angry).

Also - the evolutionary explanation only makes sense if, when these new bloodtypes were developed, they superseded the previous bloodtype. or if they became predominant in the appropriate geographical area. I suspect that, like food combining, the reason people lose weight on these diets is because they're cutting out a lot of sh1t (i don't imagine any blood type is encouraged to eat sugar, or bread, or deep-fried food...), and also because they force you to start paying careful attention to what you eat.

If this was the accepted wisdom, then given the obesity epidemic surely the NHS and public health authorities would be dropping the five-a-day message in favour of telling everyone their blood type, and suggesting different meals for different folks.

I think different people do react differently to different kinds of food - but i think that can be explained by intolerances, and also things like metabolic syndrome x (known as pre-diabetes), over-production of certain hormones... issues with leptin and insulin...

Ohhh now you got me started!

I am a BIG fan of homeopathy! I tell you for why, I took homeopathy for the birth of Alara, now you could say it's a fluke, but this is the biggest evidence I have from the many homeopathic regimes I have been on. I had No pain - and no allopathic pain relief, no stitching, I was walking around until I was ready to push, cool calm and collected. I felt utterly ethereal and relaxed but totally connected to my body. I was up washed, dressed and lippy on in hours! My recovery was days as opposed to weeks, my womanly bits just jumped back into place! ( aside from joey that is!)

I also took a combination of homeopathic remedies to combat my PND which I think had far more success than the seroxat I was prescribed!

I have taken it for a raft of other things too, I don't trust pharmaceuticals as a rule at the best of times, and the effects of many pharmaceutical intervention have worse after or side effects ( check that out, loads of evidence on the web) where as homeopathy does not. Because they are soluble they are out of the blood stream in hours, but stimulate your body to do the job itself.

As for GP's giving people suggestions, I think that there are forward thinking GP's out there who don't think pharmaceuticals are the best intervention. I have friends who work as alternative health practitioners in a few GPs. They mostly do acupuncture, Alexander technique etc in pain clinics. But then there are those that are courted by sales reps of glaxo et al who favor the suck it and see approach.

I know if someone said to me, here is your choices, take this medicine and it will enhance your chances of losing weight by 60% or do this diet plan and see how you feel, I would do the latter. That's why I am here after all, told my PCOS was out of control and I would have to take metformin And clomid to Conceive naturally ( but as I was single at the time they suggested removing a hazelnut sized cyst from my right ovary instead) I was totally against it, so started to take agnus cactus, serapeptase and garlic (alicin) AND do Cambridge, within 3 months at my pre op scan, the cyst had gone! Now that could be attributable to any of those things, but what I do know is I didnt take any metformin!

I think it's dead easy to discredit approaches like the blood type diet as quasi scientific, but the truth is, the hay diet works on much the same principle of acid and alkali ( which is the basis for the blood type diet) and that is one of the most Recommended diets by health professionals, chinese traditional medicine also works on the same principles and the average age of death in china is well into the 90s and like japan they don't have an obesity epidemic!

I don't believe everything that I read, honestly I don't ......but I don't read much BMJ without taking it with a pinch of salt...especially since randomized clinical trials are usually funded directly or indirectly by the research branches of pharmaceutical companies or my institutes that get grants from them for Phd programs.

Back