Deflating the Bouncy Castle

Oh god. Well tomorrow's looking like another sts at best (over a pound up from this time last week, in fact). Bugger. Before the weekend I was down, and I was careful while I was away so god alone knows what's happened - I hate not having the full dataset that daily weighing gives me.

So I shall have to be stern with my CDC and tell her that I'm going up to step 4 regardless. I may end up gaining but if the steps ought to be done, then I want to do them - I'll just have to go for my referral when I get back and have spent a month or so on dietchef. I've waited this long, I suppose...

Sangine, not ranting, but fairly depressed by it all, tbh.

You've done do well and have a plan. You'll get there.

I hope your week at work goes well.

Hi Spangles,

I meant to ask you if you saw the Glee episode this week. Vintage Esther Williams-esque swim costumes. I think you'd have loved it.

Hey, sue dunhym! Great, erm pseudonym.

Be brave, honey. The first week's a git, but it's not impossible, and after that it's much easier. You'll be grand. Xxx

Mel - I only have freeview, so haven't seen any glee since season 2. Will have a squiz for that bit on YouTube, though.

Not sure I mightn't get my wrists slapped for this, but what the heck...

On 25th march I'm jumping out of a plane for Evalina Family Trust - a charity which provides free accomodation close to Guy's and St Thomas' hospital for the families of sick kids being treated there. Usually, when people do this kind of thing, a large proportion of the money they raise goes to pay for the costs involved in their adventure - but that seemed a bit cheeky to me, so I'm paying all the costs. Your sponsorship goes to the charity.

If you have one or some spare quids, you can donate via my justgiving page:
www.justgiving.com/Charlotte-spangles

Thanks xxx

I'd love to sponser you spangles, I have loved reading your diary:D and wow how amazing that you are doing this when you've already got so much on your plate:worthy:

I'm off to do it now so I don't forget:)

edited to say, I have done it but I will try and donate more as and when I can x

Last edited:
That's very kind, thank you.

Hi Spangles,

Just donated through the link. I am big fan of both insanity and the Ronald McDonald houses. ;) DON'T BREAK A LEG (I do not care if you are a drama teacher)!

Thanks lovely. So kind. And we're off to NYC less than a week later, so I'd better not break *anything*...!

That would be a nightmare. Traveling with a cast. I love NY.

There was a whale. yet another fecking STS. There have been tears (oh, and then I decided to try and swap over to my new iphone, which was not a good idea - several hours later and many more tears and i'm fit to scream).

I'm just sick of it. and sad to realise that realistically i'm looking at end of april now - or more likely may, til i'm five measly pounds down from here.

stepping up to 1200 tonight (i had a quorn burger in a bap! BREAD!), so if i haven't managed to lose on steps 2 or three i'd say it's unlikely i'll drop during steps 4 or five. then i'll be on holiday, knowing i'm five pounds up, and essentially feeling like i should be dieting... then when i get back in mid april i'll have to lose the five pounds plus my holiday weight. i know that's worst case scenario - but my worst case predictions have always been the right ones in the past, haven't they? so - may.

and in the mean time all the people on here who don't spend nearly two months losing nothing doing the bloody steps will be off and finished and overtaking me. i know it's the right thing to do, and in an ideal world i'd spend long enough on each step to start losing again, but i can't - and i do want to do them all, so i'll know i gave maintenance the best possible chance. and anyway i wasn't bloody losing on SS towards the end. Just feeling a bit fed up.

Last edited:
Ok Spangles time to have a word with yourself while looking in the mirror and holding up your before photos! What a journey in such a short time, and the fact that your body has decided to do a "whoa there lady" at this stage is not the end of the world! The ultimate goal is still there and now achievable due to all your hard work and amazing strong will. You will do it and if it takes a few weeks longer for you so what??

Hang in there you are not in a race with anyone on this forum, this is about you, your body and your future as a mum. Xxxx

Great post tfg. Don't have much time hence brief response but I would say:

1. Don't worry about others, focus on you. Men lose faster but women can't focus on that. It's out of your control even if people who don't do the steps lose quicker.

2. Maybe consider exercise now you're stepping up the plans. Even just a long walk at a weekend. It helps.

3. Don't worry about NY. You'll probably walk a hell of a lot & if you aren't then add some in. Great way to explore. I lost weight when I was there from all the walking.

4. Don't best yourself up. Yes your last 2 ss losses were small & I know you said you lose less, but the losses will come, if you lost 0.25lb one week on 400 cals & sts on 1000 cals it's annoying but not disastrous.

5. Finally, you've sts for a few weeks & haven't binged. Surely that's the biggest bonus!

5. Finally, you've sts for a few weeks & haven't binged. Surely that's the biggest bonus!

This is a very good point. Think back to how you would have reacted to sts once upon a time. Your strength and attitude have been amazing and even now at this frustrating time you're dealing with it really well. You may be sad and frustrated, and it's completely understandable and allowable. But you're also being really strong and smart. You may not have lost any weight for the last few weeks but you've really shown what a change you've made in your life. That's a huge positive.

I agree! You've come such a long way and done so well that it really shows the rest of us that we can do it too! I expect we will (or have) all struggled with STS or not losing as much as we hoped on the timetable we have in our heads....but need to keep in mind that we are losing or maintaining a weight that is soooo much better than where we were! Woo hoo!!!:)

All this talk about the steps - I'm in SS now and want to stay in SS (or SS+ if need be) until I get to my goal weight, and then pass onto the steps. Does one have to start the steps before the goal weight? My booklet explains what a step is, without saying when you move through them.... :confused:

Hang in there, Spangles! We are all rooting for you!

Spangelicious, you never know, you might get a mini whoosh after your body has adjusted!

The important thing is you're doing the steps properly, and not gaining (unlike a certain someone!). I know it's frustrating because you are on a schedule and have an unmovable goal, but you also need to be ok longterm and you know that doing it this way is the best way for that.

You have been so strong doing everything the right way and my fingers and toes are crossed for you to get those last pesky pounds off before your hols, just to give you a boost and help you relax on them.

Is it worth booking in an apppointment to get that all important weigh in a couple of days before you go? You can always cancel it nearer the time if you need. Just thinking that if you do have a whoosh, you could sneak that weigh in in before the holiday. Not sure if that's possible?

Tizzy - when you go up the steps depends a lot on your goal weight. If you're aiming for a BMI at the higher end, like me, i'm aiming for 25ish, then it's probably best to get all the way to goal before you step up, because if you do the steps all the way without pausing on a mid-range one, you might not lose much more.
If you're aiming for a lower BMI, nearer 20, you'll be better off stepping up before you're done, at around 22-23, because you'll reach a point where you need more food to lose weight because you have less to lose. Generally people go up to step2 (810) or step3 (1000) and then stay there til goal, then do the last maintenance steps.

I know this isnt about other people its about you, but I thought I'd get on the scales this morning, so if it makes you feel any better, even a teesy tiny bit better, I have been eating 1200 calories a day, religiously for a week. I have gained 3.25lbs. You have not! You have stayed the same. You have made miracles happen. You have not gained!

Spangles, I know its crap, I know I know I know, but there is benefit in the struggle. There is benefit in it being hard. Whatever happens you will never ever have to do this god forsaken diet again. You will get to that magic number, you will get your referral, and you will continue to be that glamorous, supportive, nurturing person that we all know and love.

Now do I need to give you a kick up the bum with my size 9's?!

xxx

No kicking!

Feeling better today, just a bit sorry for myself last night - you know how it can be.

So, as the mighty Buh-buh-buh-Bing would say, you gotta ac-cent-uate the positive...

Am typing this on my new iPhone 4s, which may have sat intimidating me in a box for three weeks, but which I have finally girded myself enough to get set up.

Husband applied for a credit check in my name after last week's anxiety, and out of a score of 1000, where most people will score in the seven hundreds, my score was nine hundred and something.

I have raised over £100 so far for my charity thing which makes me feel better about spending so much on the costs.

Weekend is coming. Eventually.

Back