Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

PESTO CHICKEN - Serves 4

Approx. 2 Syns per serving

4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 cloves of garlic
1 onion, finely chopped
200g pack cherry tomatoes, halved
2-3 level tbsp. red pesto - 7.5 Syns (based on 3 tbsp.)
3 level tbsp. BGTY half-fat crème fraiche - 1.5 Syns

Spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and cook the onion until softened. You can start it off in the microwave, with a splash of water, to speed it up.
Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Remove onion and garlic to a bowl.
Add the chicken pieces and cook until cooked through. Return the onion and garlic to the pan.
Season with a little salt and pepper.
Tip the halved tomatoes into the pan, stirring them around for a couple of minutes, until they begin to soften.
Reduce the heat and stir in the pesto and crème fraiche, until it makes a sauce. You can always add in a little milk or water, if you want more sauce.

Lovely with some chopped, fresh basil sprinkled in, if you have any and, if you like a bit of spice, you can always add in some chilli flakes.

Hi Silvermoon! My answers are probably going to be very unhelpful, unfortunately! :( I have never frozen the Thai curry but, whilst looking through the ingredients, at first I thought it should be ok, omitting the green beans, maybe, until needed on the day of cooking. However, my only concern would be the coconut milk, 'cos I was wondering whether it would split/separate, when thawed. Maybe someone else has tried it and can come to your rescue with a better answer.

Again, with risotto, I have never tried freezing it so, sorry, can't help you there either! :( Will try Googling the questions and, if I find anything helpful, will get back to you. :)

Kathy x

NUMBERED INDEX ON PAGES 55 AND 98

Right, done that! Apparently, coconut milk isn't too good to freeze, when used in a dish like the Thai curry because it changes the texture by separating.

The risotto can be frozen, although any cheese should be added to it once it has thawed out. Allow the recipe to cool at room temperature, then freeze in a plastic container for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight before reheating, or place the frozen risotto in the oven in a covered dish, to heat through gently at 180C/Gas 4 for 25-30 minutes until piping hot. Add in any cheese and serve immediately.

Hope this helps, Silvermoon. :)

Last edited:
CHILLI VEGGIE HOTPOT - Serves 6

1 Syn per serving, if using oil

1 tbsp. oil - 6 Syns
2 onions, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
Approx. I tsp. hot chilli powder, or to taste
500g carrots, sliced
400g can chopped tomatoes
500ml vegetable stock
Quarter of a Savoy cabbage, shredded
400g cannellini/kidney beans, drained and rinsed

Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan or pot and fry the onions until soft. Can use Frylight, of course, but oil makes it easier, when using 2 onions and, after all, what's 1 Syn? :D
Add the garlic and chilli powder and cook for a couple of minutes.
Tip in the carrots, tomatoes, stock and cabbage.
Add the beans. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the veg are tender.
If necessary, remove the lid and simmer gently, until the desired consistency is reached.

If you have any basil leaves in, stir through 2 tbsp., if you like, when adding the beans.

Lovely served with HEX crusty bread and sprinkled with HEX grated, mature Cheddar.

I bought some chorizo today Kathy. Can`t wait to give it a try with one of your chicken dishes, I bought sliced and some on a ring. Will let you know how I get on, if I have time to get the chicken bits tomorrow.

Mmm! My absolute favourite ingredient, Doreen! Mind you, you've probably already guessed that! :D Actually, I've got some diced in the fridge so might use it up tomorrow. Can't believe how something so low in Syns, can be so tasty! :) Hope you enjoy whatever you end up making, Doreen.

Kathy xx

I think it split while cooking, and have two portions in the freezer with the green beans in... do you think it will be really awful when defrosted to re-heat then? :( x

Was only guessing re the green beans (wondered if they'd go a bit slimy in texture but, they may be fine, of course) and, I would imagine, the curry would still taste the same. If it has split, it just might not look quite as attractive! :D As I said, I've never frozen it so all this is either guesswork or going off what it said when I Googled it.

Let us know how you get on, Silvermoon, as, I'm sure, any info will be helpful to others in the future. Good luck! :)

Kathy x

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you ladies for such a fab thread! :)

I found it whilst searching for a keema recipe and now I have a long list of recipes which I want try.

I made the cheats beef Keema and it was delicious. I added mushrooms, spinach and frozen peas and some curry powder too but completely forgot to add the tomato purée :-/ but it was still very tasty xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

MUSTARD CHICKEN - Serves 2

0.5 Syn per serving

2 skinless chicken breasts
2 tbsp. FF Greek yoghurt
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
2 level tsp. mustard (English, Dijon, Wholegrain) - 1 Syn

Pre-heat the grill to low-medium.
Mix together the yoghurt, parsley and mustard and season with salt and pepper.
Spread half of the mixture over the top of the chicken breasts.
Place under the grill for 10-15 minutes.
Turn the chicken over and spread with the remaining mixture. Cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.

Alternatively, you can cook the chicken, spread on both sides with the mixture, in a pre-heated oven 180C/Gas 4 for approx. 30 minutes. Check it is thoroughly cooked before serving.
Lovely with SW roasties and lots of veg.

CHICKEN, CHORIZO AND CHILLI RISOTTO - Serves 4

Approx. 2 Syns per serving, if using the Parmesan as HEX's

250g Arborio rice
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 fat clove of garlic, crushed
2 skinless chicken breasts, diced
100g diced chorizo - 6.5 Syns
1 level tbsp. mascarpone - 2 Syns
100g grated Parmesan
1.5-2 litres of hot chicken stock
1 cup of frozen petit pois
1 tsp dried red chilli flakes, or to taste

Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight and cook the onion and garlic until browned. I sometimes soften the onion off in the microwave first, with a splash of water, just to speed things up.
Add the chicken and chorizo. Stir until the chicken is cooked through and the chorizo has released its' oils.
Add the chilli flakes and stir for one minute.
Add the rice and continue to stir over a moderate heat for a couple of minutes, until the rice is coated with the oils.
Add the stock, a little at a time, stirring continuously throughout, until all the stock is used up. This should take about 30 minutes.
Add the petit pois (nicer than garden peas) and continue to stir for a further 5 minutes, adding more stock, if required, until the rice is creamy but still retains a little bite.
Turn off the heat and add the mascarpone and Parmesan, stirring well.

I sometimes also add in a little paprika.

CHILLI CON CHICKEN - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
1 red onion, finely chopped
500g carrots, trimmed, peeled and sliced into thin half moons
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
Mexican spice blend, to taste
1 courgette, trimmed and sliced into half moons
2 x 400g red kidney beans in chilli sauce
390g carton of chopped tomatoes with basil and oregano
Half a ready cooked chicken, skin removed and meat chopped

Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
Add the onion and carrots and fry for 3 minutes.
Add the garlic, Mexican spice blend and the courgette slices and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring.
Add the kidney beans and their sauce, along with the chopped tomatoes. Cook for 8 minutes, stir in the chicken and simmer for another 2 minutes or until the veg is softened.

Serve with rice or SW wedges.

You can use Frylight but, for 1.5 Syns each, it's much better and easier with the oil!

This is one of Sainsbury's recipes.

Last edited:
RATATOUILLE FISH BAKE - Serves 4

Syn Free, if using cheese as part HEX's

500g new potatoes, in their skins, sliced
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 aubergine, sliced - optional
1 red pepper, finely diced
1 courgette, diced
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 x 150g white fish fillets
40g reduced-fat Cheddar, grated

Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Cook the potato slices until tender. Drain.
Meanwhile, spray a large, non-stick frying pan with Frylight.
Cook the onion, aubergine, pepper, courgette and garlic until soft.
Add the tomatoes and heat through.
Put half the veg mixture into a baking dish.
Layer the fish, then the remaining veg. Top with the potato slices, spray with Frylight, then sprinkle over the grated cheese.
Bake for approx. 25 minutes or until golden and cooked through.

Lovely served with a green veg.

SPICY TOMATO AND PRAWN PASTA - Serves 4

Approx. 1.5 Syns per serving

350g dried spaghetti
7 large vine tomatoes, chopped
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or crushed
1 level tsp. chilli paste - 0.5 Syn
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
300g peeled and de-veined raw king prawns
Half small bunch of parsley, finely chopped

Cook the spaghetti, according to pack instructions. Drain, reserving a good splash of the cooking water.
Meanwhile, heat a large, non-stick frying pan.
Add the tomatoes, then cover and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes.
Add the oil, garlic, chilli paste and vinegar.
Season with black pepper and add a pinch of sweetener. Cover again and simmer for 5 minutes or, until the sauce thickens.
Add the prawns to the sauce and cook, stirring, until they are just pink.
Toss the mixture with the spaghetti, the reserved water and the chopped parsley.
Serve immediately.

SPICY TOMATO AND PRAWN PASTA - Serves 4

Approx. 1.5 Syns per serving

350g dried spaghetti
7 large vine tomatoes, chopped
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or crushed
1 level tsp. chilli paste - 0.5 Syn
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
300g peeled and de-veined raw king prawns
Half small bunch of parsley, finely chopped

Cook the spaghetti, according to pack instructions. Drain, reserving a good splash of the cooking water.
Meanwhile, heat a large, non-stick frying pan.
Add the tomatoes, then cover and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes.
Add the oil, garlic, chilli paste and vinegar.
Season with black pepper and add a pinch of sweetener. Cover again and simmer for 5 minutes or, until the sauce thickens.
Add the prawns to the sauce and cook, stirring, until they are just pink.
Toss the mixture with the spaghetti, the reserved water and the chopped parsley.
Serve immediately.

Thanks for this, going to try it sometime next week x

BEAN AND SAUSAGE CASSEROLE - Serves 4

Syn Free

8 Syn Free SW sausages
1 onion, finely chopped
400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
120g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Pinch of sweetener, to taste
4 tbsp. torn basil leaves

Brown the sausages under the grill.
Meanwhile, spray a non-stick pan well with Frylight and cook the onion until softening.
Add the beans and canned tomatoes. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat.
Add the cherry tomatoes, browned sausages and the balsamic vinegar. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened and the sausages have thoroughly cooked through.
Stir in the basil leaves.

Lovely served with mash or baked potatoes.

Last edited:
Back