Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

PRAWN AND CHILLI SPAGHETTI - Serves 2

Syn Free

150g dried spaghetti
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
2 medium-sized tomatoes, diced
200g frozen, raw prawns, defrosted and dried off with kitchen roll
Handful of fresh rocket
Zest of half a lemon

Cook the spaghetti according to pack instructions and reserve 3 tbsp. of the cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, spray a non-stick pan with Frylight and cook the garlic for about 30 seconds.
Add the chilli and tomato and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add the prawns and cook until pink and cooked through (2-3 mins).
Add the drained pasta to the pan, along with the reserved cooking liquid. Toss until coated.
Remove from the heat, stir through the zest and rocket and serve immediately.

Must admit, we can't get enough of this!!

I made this last night with a few tweaks and it was gorgeous! I used some courgette ribbons in the prawn and tomato mixture and skipped the lemon as I am not too keen. Was so quick and easy to make - and really nice to have a pasta dish that is light and non greasy (aka full of oily sauce).

Def one on my regular list! Thanks Kathy xx

NUMBERED INDEX ON PAGES 55 and 98

So glad you liked it, Sparty. Loving the idea of the courgette ribbons! :)

Kathy x

Last edited:
LEMONY MAPLE CHICKEN - Serves 4

Approx. 5 Syns per serving (slightly over-Synned) - so only for a day when you have Syns to spare but, well worth it!! :)

4 large, skinless chicken breasts
3 level tbsp. Dijon mustard - 4.5 Syns
4 level tbsp. Maple syrup - 8 Syns
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tbsp. fresh dill, finely chopped

Mix together all the ingredients in a large, shallow bowl. Add the chicken and marinate, covered, in the fridge for 2 - 8 hours.
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Line a baking dish with non-stick baking parchment.
Pour everything into the baking dish and bake, uncovered for about 35 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked through.

Lovely with SW wedges and roast vegetables!

BERRY SOUFFLE OMELETTE WITH VANILLA CREAM - Serves 1

3 Syns

3 eggs, separated
2 tbsp. sweetener (like for like with sugar variety)
Mixed berries of your choice
4 tbsp. Quark
1 level tbsp. icing sugar - 3 Syns
Vanilla extract

Pre-heat the grill.
Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff. Add the sweetener and whisk again.
In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks until they are creamy. Gently fold the whites into the whisked yolks, with a tablespoon.
Mix the Quark with the icing sugar and vanilla extract, to taste.
Spray a non-stick medium sized frying pan with Frylight, preferably the buttery variety and tip in the eggs, over a medium heat.
Cook until the base is golden, then transfer the pan to under the grill and continue to cook until the top is set and golden.
Tip the omelette onto a warmed plate, then scatter over the fruit and fold in half. Serve immediately with the Quark cream.

QUINOA CHICKEN MADRAS - Serves 4

5.5 Syns per serving, if using 12.5g cashew nuts per person. If not using the nuts, it is 2 Syns per serving.

2 large onions, chopped
4 skinless chicken breasts
4 level tbsp. Patak's Madras curry paste - 8 Syns Use whichever paste you like but, don't forget to check the Syn value.
200g quinoa - you must rinse this for, at least, a couple of minutes before using, otherwise it does not taste good!!
400g can chopped tomatoes
850ml chicken stock, made with 3 Oxo cubes
50g cashew nuts - 14 Syns - optional
Small bunch of fresh coriander leaves, chopped

Spray a large, non-stick pan with Frylight and fry the onions until softened. Remove from pan.
Add the chicken breasts (chopped, if you prefer), browning for a few minutes on each side, then stir in the Madras paste, quinoa (making sure you have rinsed it thoroughly first) and softened onions.
Cook for a few minutes, then pour in the tomatoes and stock, stirring together well.
Simmer for about 25 minutes, until the quinoa is tender and everything looks saucy.
Stir in the nuts and most of the coriander, with some seasoning to taste.

Serve on warmed plates, scattered with the remaining coriander.

I sometimes add in a fat clove of garlic, crushed and, occasionally, a sliced green chilli, to spice things up even more. This is when I DON'T eat it, as I'm a spice wimp!

Could use lentils, if you don't fancy trying quinoa.

LEMONY MAPLE CHICKEN - Serves 4

Approx. 5 Syns per serving (slightly over-Synned) - so only for a day when you have Syns to spare but, well worth it!! :)

4 large, skinless chicken breasts
3 level tbsp. Dijon mustard - 4.5 Syns
4 level tbsp. Maple syrup - 8 Syns
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tbsp. fresh dill, finely chopped

Mix together all the ingredients in a large, shallow bowl. Add the chicken and marinate, covered, in the fridge for 2 - 8 hours.
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Line a baking dish with non-stick baking parchment.
Pour everything into the baking dish and bake, uncovered for about 35 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked through.

Lovely with SW wedges and roast vegetables!

Sounds very tasty Kathy. Thanks

Mmm! We love it so hope you do too, if you give it a go! :) Hope you're doing ok with everything - it's good to hear from you! x

CHICKEN AND BACON ESCALOPES - Serves 4 This is based on a Nigella recipe.

1.5 Syns per serving - based on the higher Synning of the wine and using olive oil, instead of Frylight

1 tsp. garlic infused olive oil (or just use ordinary and fry a clove of garlic, along with the bacon) - 2 Syns
4 rashers bacon, all visible fat removed
4 skinless chicken breasts
100ml dry white wine - 3 - 4 Syns

Place the chicken breasts on a sheet of cling film and cover over with cling film too. Bash to about 3mm in depth with a wooden rolling pin, evenly.
Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and add the bacon, cooking until crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan and wrap in foil.
Fry the chicken in the hot pan for about 2 minutes on each side, or until cooked through, making sure they are beautifully golden.
Remove the chicken onto a warmed plate, covering it with foil.
Chop the cooked bacon into the pan, then pour in the wine, letting everything bubble up. Pour over the escalopes.

Gorgeous with new potatoes/SW wedges and veg.

I went to What's Cooking with my daughter a couple of weeks ago and had something similar. It was so good, I'm making something like it tonight, which is based on the above recipe. I'll do everything as set out above, apart from using the wine. Then I'm going to serve the escalopes on HEX bread rolls, stuffed with salad leaves and some Synned mayo, and topped with HEX cheese! I'm serving it with some McCain 5% Fat Chips - 100g cooked chips = 1.5 Syns. I'm going to use smoky bacon too, just so it's the same as the What's Cooking version. Just hope it tastes as good!! :D

Sounds yum Kathy! Let us know how it goes- especially without the wine!
I wouldn't trust myself with opening a bottle of wine and not drinking the rest!!

OMG, Lisa!! It was sooooo tasty - nearly as good as the serving I had in the restaurant and so easy too! Hadn't realised how low in Syns the 5% McCain chips are and they really made it feel like a normal meal (which, of course, it was but, you know what I mean)! Shan't be bothering with SW chips anymore, as mine never turn out brilliantly, no matter what I do! 100g of the cooked McCain chips is a good sized serving too but 200g (3 Syns), which I had, cos I was starving, is even better!! :D Seriously though, it was lovely and well worth doing. Guess what's on the menu next week?! :)

Kathy x

OAT COATED PORK WITH SPICY MUSHROOMS - Serves 4

4 Syns per serving, if using oil, and the oats as HEX's

400g lean pork fillet
2 tbsp. rapeseed oil - 12 Syns
120g oats
2 tsp. chilli powder
320g mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
4 level tsp. salt-reduced gravy granules - 4 Syns
25g pack parsley, chopped

Cut the pork into 8 slices. Place between sheets of cling film and beat with a wooden rolling pin, until thin. Brush with a little oil. (Or spray with Frylight).
Mix the oats and chilli powder together and press the pork medallions onto the mixture, coating evenly on both sides.
Heat the remaining oil (or Frylight) in a non-stick frying pan and fry the pork in two batches for 3 minutes each side or until cooked through. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
Add the mushrooms to the pan with the Worcester sauce and cook for 3 minutes.
Mix the gravy granules with 250ml of boiling water (adding more, if necessary) and add to the pan, stirring. Cook until slightly thickened.
Season with black pepper, add the chopped parsley and pour over the pork.

If you prefer, you could add half-1 tsp. hot, smoked paprika for extra flavour, instead of the chilli powder.
This is lovely served with new potatoes or wild and long grain rice, along with fresh veg, e.g., green beans and baby carrots.

OMG, Lisa!! It was sooooo tasty - nearly as good as the serving I had in the restaurant and so easy too! Hadn't realised how low in Syns the 5% McCain chips are and they really made it feel like a normal meal (which, of course, it was but, you know what I mean)! Shan't be bothering with SW chips anymore, as mine never turn out brilliantly, no matter what I do! 100g of the cooked McCain chips is a good sized serving too but 200g (3 Syns), which I had, cos I was starving, is even better!! :D Seriously though, it was lovely and well worth doing. Guess what's on the menu next week?! :)

Kathy x

Yum! I don't find my SW chips work out well either so I usually make skin on SW wedges instead!
I think I have most of the ingredients in my fridge so I may try them out for dinner tomorrow- need to get back into cooking as I'm kinda living off pasta again at the moment :(

Oh, I know. You can get in a bit of a rut, can't you, if you're not careful? I'm sure you'll enjoy the escalopes, if you do give them a go! Yes, we have the wedges sometimes but, must admit, it was so good to eat 'nearly normal' chips (not quite chip shop standard, of course!) for a change. Made all the difference to me on that particular evening. How sad is that?!!!! :D

PEA AND GOAT'S CHEESE RISOTTO - Serves 4

Syn Free, if using the goat's cheese as a HEX.

2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or crushed
4 (or more, to taste) shallots, finely chopped
250g Arborio rice
650ml hot vegetable stock
250g frozen peas
120g goat's cheese - 4 x HEX's
Half a lemon

In a large pan, fry the garlic and shallots in Frylight until softening.
Add the rice, stir well, then add 200ml of stock. Stir constantly until all the liquid is absorbed.
Keep adding the stock gradually, stirring as you go until all the liquid is absorbed, between each addition.
Remove the risotto from the heat and stir in the goat's cheese, the juice from the lemon and the peas. Continue stirring until the cheese has melted and the peas, defrosted.
Serve on warmed plates with a grind or two of black pepper, maybe with a little watercress on top, as a garnish.

This recipe is from a recipe book called Luke's Cookbook and is creamy, delicious and easy! :)

CREAMY CHICKEN PASTA - Serves 3-4

Syn Free

4 carrots, cut into thin batons or use frozen carrot batons
8 spring onions, thickly sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
150g whole baby sweetcorn, cut into chunks
200g sugar snap peas
300g cooked, skinless chicken, cut into strips
150g Quark
150g FF Fromage Frais
Squeeze of lemon juice
4 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley

Cook enough pasta for 3-4 people, following pack instructions. Drain and set aside.
Boil all the veg for about 5 minutes. Drain.
Add the veg to the pasta, along with the chicken.
Put the Quark and the fromage frais into a food processor, along with a squeeze of lemon juice, the parsley and some black pepper. Blend into a sauce.
Pour the sauce over the pasta and mix well.
Heat the pasta n sauce through in the microwave and serve.

Lovely with HEX cheese stirred through and also tastes good cold so, great for a packed lunch. Sometimes add in some smoked paprika or a little chilli powder.

PORK AND OYSTER SAUCE STIR-FRY - Serves 2

2 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. lime juice
1 level tbsp. sweet chilli sauce - 1.5 Syns (could obviously increase)
75ml oyster sauce - 2.5 Syns
200g pork fillet, cut into thin slices
2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced or crushed
1 red onion, finely chopped
Green beans, halved
1 tsp. reduced salt soy sauce

In a small bowl, mix together the lime juice, chilli sauce, oyster sauce and half the soy sauce. Set aside.
Spray a large wok ot frying pan well with Frylight. Season the pork and toss with the remaining soy sauce.
Sear the meat quickly, then remove from the pan.
Re-spray and stir-fry the garlic, onion and beans until softened to taste.
Return the meat to the pan, with the sauce and stir-fry for a further 3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
Serve with rice or noodles.

I've used mange-tout and sliced red pepper in the past too and it was really good. Sometimes add in some water chestnuts as well.

I've been reading through this thread and taking pics with my iPad, all night. I've reached page 33, so quite a few to go :D
Im so pleased to have found this as I've been struggling to find easy, vegetarian sw recipes. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this.

Thanks for taking the time to leave such a lovely comment, Tufty. It's so kind of you and makes typing the recipes up even more worthwhile. Hope you enjoy any you try! :)

Kathy

Back