Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Kathy, I made the chicken nuggets you posted a few days a go last night for my cousins who are really young (4 & 6) and they went down a treat! I didn't get a picture but they looked amazing, I had a taste too and they tasted yummy. I'm now known as the cousin who cooks McDonalds "chicken nug nugs!!" ;) lol. Thank you for posting the recipe, I'll be making them again soon! This time with a picture xxx

Aww, bless them! :) Glad they enjoyed them and, at least, we know they're not packed with preservatives for little tummies! Yes, if you do make them again, Lola, a picture would be great! Thanks!

Have a good day! It's sunny here so, hope it is wherever you are too. :)

Kathy x

loving the idea of this. can I ask where you get extra lean lamb mince from as
Basic, Lamb, mince, less than 16% fat, 100g raw

Ah, now then. I always get mine from the butcher so I can pick out only the leanest, then he minces it for me, once he's cut any visible fat off. Glad you highlighted this, dirtydancing. :) I'll check on-line for the shop bought varieties and amend the recipe. Thanks also for the info and photo of the lamb mince too! :)

Kathy x

Mushroom Pasta Bake Page 127. I made it as the recipe, not too much passata and I really enjoyed it. Had it to myself. I would make it the same for lunch but for an evening meal I think I would have some bacon or chicken in it and maybe and have veg on the side as you suggest in the recipe.

Was in too much of a hurry today - it was lovely.

Yes, it's definitely better with the chicken, etc., in it, I think, Doreen but handy for vegetarians if not. Glad you enjoyed it though. Always scary when recommending recipes! :D

Kathy xx

TANDOORI CHICKEN - Serves 4

0.5 Syn per serving.

500g skinless chicken breast
240ml FF natural yoghurt
1 - 2 level tbsp. tandoori paste - 0.5 -1 Syn
Juice of 1 lime
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp. ground coriander
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 level tbsp. garlic and ginger paste (1 Syn) or 4 cloves of garlic, crushed, and 1 piece of grated ginger

Cut deep grooves into the chicken breasts but don't cut all the way through.
Mix all the ingredients together, including quarter tsp. salt and half tsp. black pepper.
Coat the chicken with the mixture, making sure lots of it goes deep into the grooves.
If possible, cover with cling-film and leave in the fridge over-night. Otherwise, leave to marinate for as long as possible, in the fridge.
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Spray the chicken, on both sides with Frylight, wrap in foil and place in the oven for 40 minutes to an hour, ensuring the chicken is thoroughly cooked before serving.

Tasty served with SW chips and salad or, if you can spare the Syns, good stuffed into a pitta bread (6-7.5 Syns for a standard size, any variety) with some raita or low-fat tomato ketchup (0.5 Syn per level tbsp.) and salad leaves.

ASIAN CHICKEN - Serves 4

Approx. 3 Syns per serving

4 tbsp. reduced-salt soy sauce
2 dessertspoons sesame oil - 8 Syns (Frylight doesn't really work for this recipe)
2 level tbsp. runny honey - 5 Syns
3 slices of root ginger
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 skinless chicken breasts

In a small, microwave-safe bowl, combine the soy sauce, honey, ginger root and garlic.
Heat in the microwave, on Medium, for 1 minute, then stir. Heat again for 30 seconds, watching that it doesn't boil.
Put the chicken breasts into a shallow dish, lined with foil (Just to help with the washing-up afterwards!). Pour the marinade over, making sure the chicken is well coated, cover and put in fridge for about 4 hours.
Drain the marinade off the chicken, into a small pan. Bring to the boil and simmer over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
Pour the marinade over the chicken breasts, removing the ginger slices, and cook the chicken for 35-40 minutes, basting frequently. At the end of the cooking time, check the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the juices run clear.

Lovely served with jasmine rice and lots of colourful veg. :)

PANCAKES - Serves 1 Just a refresher about these pancakes, in case any newbies haven't come across them before. :)

Syn Free

1 large egg, separated
1 tsp. sweetener
A few drops of vanilla essence

Beat the sweetener and a few drops of vanilla essence into the egg yolk. You can also add in a pinch of spices if you like too, such as cinnamon or nutmeg.
Whisk the egg white until it forms soft peaks, then carefully fold into the yolk mixture.
Spray a non-stick frying pan with Frylight and heat.
Drop a few blobs of mixture into the hot pan and fry for a few minutes on each side, flipping them very carefully.

I like these with a little lemon juice dripped onto them or a tiny amount of Synned runny honey.

Hope you like them, Silvermoon! Can, obviously, experiment with toppings, such as, warmed jam, syrup, honey, lemon, etc. Enjoy! :)

Kathy x

CHILLI CHICKEN - Serves 6

0.5 Syn for the whole recipe

1 large onion, finely chopped
2cm piece of ginger, finely chopped
700g skinless chicken breast, chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
100g red split lentils
2 peppers, deseeded and chopped
2x400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
450ml hot chicken stock
2 tsp. Discovery Chipotle Paste (or more, to taste) - 0.5 Syn

Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight and cook the onion, ginger and chicken until golden.
Stir in the tomatoes, lentils, peppers, beans, stock and Chipotle paste.
Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until the lentils and peppers are tender and the chicken is thoroughly cooked through.
Divide between warmed plates/bowls and scatter with torn coriander leaves, if you have any in.

Serve with rice or crusty HEX bread.

Haven't made this, myself but, a friend has and she assures me it is really tasty. :)

SWEET CHILLI SAUSAGES - Serves 4

Approx. 2.5 - 3 Syns per serving

8 BGTY sausages - 4 Syns
4 level tbsp. reduced salt and sugar tomato ketchup - 2 Syns
2 level tbsp. clear honey - 5 Syns
2 tsp. mild chilli powder
Half tsp. dried oregano

Pre-heat the oven to 220C/Gas 7.
Put the sausages in a roasting tin in a single layer and bake for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix together all the other ingredients with some seasoning and 1 tbsp. water.
Pour the mixture over the sausages, making sure they are coated well.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the sausages are golden and thoroughly cooked through.

Lovely served with mustard mash and fresh, green veg.

STUFFED CHILLI PEPPERS - Serves 2-4 (Depending how hungry you are!)

0.5 Syn per serving

4 large red peppers
250g extra lean minced beef
2 chilli peppers, deseeded and chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
Small tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce - do not drain
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. paprika
1 tbsp. Discovery chipotle paste - 1 Syn
350g passata

Cut the top off the red peppers carefully (you will need the tops later) but leave the peppers whole. Carefully remove the seeds, then blanch the peppers, including the tops, by plunging them into boiling, salted water. Cook for 2 minutes (no longer or they will go too soft) Have a bowl of iced water ready and, after the two minutes, quickly put the peppers into the cold water to stop the cooking process.
Spray a large, non-stick pan with Frylight and add the mince, chopped onion and chilli pepper. Brown for about 10 minutes.
Add the kidney beans, spices, garlic and chipotle paste. Stir well and cook gently for a few minutes.
Add the passata, then continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
Cut a small slice from the bottom of each pepper so they can stand upright.
Spoon the mince mixture into the red peppers, pop the tops back on and put them into a shallow baking dish. Add a little bit of water, cover loosely with foil and bake for about 35 minutes or until the peppers feel softened.

Lovely served with salad, boiled rice (with some turmeric stirred through so it goes a lovely yellow colour) and also good with a dollop of half-fat soured cream. 1 tbsp. = 1 Syn.

If I have a HEX left, I like to crumble a little cheese (preferably Feta - 45g = 1 HEX) into the mixture before stuffing the peppers.

Last edited:
PEPPER PASTA BAKE - Serves 4

Syn Free, if not using olive oil and, if using bread and cheese as part HEX's

400g dried pasta shapes
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
225g cooked bacon, cut into bite-size pieces with kitchen scissors
45 ml chicken/veg stock
1 tsp. dried oregano
75g breadcrumbs - part HEX. Leave freshly blended breadcrumbs, spread out, on a baking tray, over-night, to dry fresh breadcrumbs out.
4 tbsp. grated cheese - part HEX

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Cook the pasta according to pack instructions, until al dente. Do not over-cook.
Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight and cook the onion until softening. I start mine off in the microwave, with a splash of water, to speed things up or, for this recipe, I use 1 tbsp olive oil (6 Syns) because it helps with the cooking of the pepper and only works out at 1.5 Syns per serving.
Add the garlic and pepper and cook until soft.
Add the tomatoes, stock, bacon and oregano. Stir, bring to the boil and simmer for 4 minutes.
Stir the drained, cooked pasta into the tomato mixture.
Pour into an oven-proof dish, sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and cheese and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Obviously, could add what you want to this. I sometimes add in sliced mushrooms, chorizo (Synned) or diced ham. Whatever, really! :D

BEAN AND CHORIZO STEW - Serves 4

Approx. 3 Syns per serving but SO worth it!! :D

200g chorizo, diced or sliced - 13 Syns
1 medium leek, thinly sliced
1 tsp. mustard seeds
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Half tsp. smoked paprika
75g dried chickpeas, soaked for, at least, 8 hours and cooked until soft (see pack instructions) - reserve cooking water. Could use a tin of ready cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
75g dried pinto beans, soaked for, at least, 8 hours and cooked until soft. Could use tinned, drained and rinsed.
Handful of fresh coriander

Warm a large, non-stick pan over a medium/high heat. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring frequently, so the oils are released and the chorizo crisps up a little.
Remove the chorizo from the pan, leaving the oil behind.
Add the leek to the chorizo oil and reduce the heat a little. Fry for a couple of minutes then, add the garlic and mustard seeds.
Continue to cook for a few minutes, until the leek has softened and the mustard seeds begin to pop.
Add the cayenne, paprika, beans and tomatoes, and stir.
Add the chorizo back into the pan, along with the bean liquid or some vegetable stock, if preferred. You will have to use stock, if you have used tinned beans. Make sure the liquid almost covers the bean mixture.
Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Continue to simmer, uncovered, until the desired thickness is reached.
Before serving, season to taste and stir through the coriander.

Serve on warmed plates with some HEX crusty bread.

Last edited:
Have just posted a CHICKEN VINDALOO recipe on the WHAT'S FOR TEA TONIGHT? thread - page 2719. Had to put it on there, as there were more than 10 ingredients! :D

Ha ha! Getting round this one by omitting the obvious main ingredient from the list (won't make a habit of it!) so then it just about fits into the 10 ingredient category! :D

CHICKEN VINDALOO - Serves 4

2 large onions, finely chopped or sliced
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
2, 3 or 4 chilli peppers, finely chopped - colour is up to you. Seeds in or out is up to you! :O
1 inch root ginger, grated
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground garam masala
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 tbsp. red or white vinegar

Make a paste by combining the ginger and vinegar together with the spices - turmeric, coriander, cumin and garam masala.
Spray a large wok or frying pan with plenty of Frylight and place over a medium heat.
Cook the onions until softened.
Add the chilli and garlic and continue to cook for a few minutes.
Add - oh, yes! It's the missing ingredient! How strange! :D 400g chopped, skinless chicken breast/thigh and cook until coloured on all sides.
Add the curry paste and mix well, making sure all the chicken pieces are coated in the paste.
Add the tomatoes, mix well, turn to a slow simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
Serve with lots of boiled rice.

Last edited:
Ha ha! Getting round this one by omitting the obvious main ingredient from the list (won't make a habit of it!) so then it just about fits into the 10 ingredient category! :D CHICKEN VINDALOO - Serves 4 2 large onions, finely chopped or sliced 400g can chopped tomatoes 3 cloves of garlic, crushed 2, 3 or 4 chilli peppers, finely chopped - colour is up to you. Seeds in or out is up to you! :O 1 inch root ginger, grated 1 tsp. ground turmeric 1 tsp. ground coriander 1 tsp. ground garam masala 1 tsp. ground cumin 2 tbsp. red or white vinegar Make a paste by combining the ginger and vinegar together with the spices - turmeric, coriander, cumin and garam masala. Spray a large wok or frying pan with plenty of Frylight and place over a medium heat. Cook the onions until softened. Add the chilli and garlic and continue to cook for a few minutes. Add - oh, yes! It's the missing ingredient! How strange! :D 400g chopped, skinless chicken breast/thigh and cook until coloured on all sides. Add the curry paste and mix well, making sure all the chicken pieces are coated in the paste. Add the tomatoes, mix well, turn to a slow simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Serve with lots of boiled rice.

Ha ha ha.. Sound delicious x

LAMB ROGAN JOSH - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

400g lamb steak, all visible fat removed. Diced into 2cm pieces.
400g onions, finely sliced or chopped
200g can chopped tomatoes
Chilli peppers, as many or as few as you like, seeds in or out, finely chopped
1 inch of ginger, finely chopped or grated
1 tbsp. tomato puree
1 dessertspoonful of curry powder
1 tbsp. vegetable oil - 6 Syns. Could try Frylight but think this is better for this recipe.

Pour the oil into a large non-stick frying pan or wok and heat over a high heat.
Turn the heat down and add the onions and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they have browned a little.
Add the chilli, ginger and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring.
Add the lamb and continue to cook until browned all over.
Add the curry powder and season with salt and pepper. Mix well to ensure the lamb is covered with the spices.
Add the tomatoes and the puree and sir well.
Add a little water if the mixture is too dry, reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to cook, with the lid on, until the lamb is tender. Keep an eye on the mixture so you can add more liquid, if necessary.

Serve on a bed of boiled rice.

Think this one is from the SW site!

CHIP SHOP STYLE CHICKEN CURRY - Serves 4

3 Syns per serving

400g skinless chicken pieces, cut into 2cm cubes
300g onions, chopped
1, 2 or 3 chilli peppers, finely chopped, seeds in or out
1 inch of ginger root, finely chopped
1 tbsp. tomato puree
1 level dessertspoonful of onion gravy granules
1 level dessertspoonful of cornflour, made into a thick paste with a little water
1 dessertspoonful of curry powder
1 tbsp. of vegetable oil

Place a large non-stick wok or frying pan over a high heat and add the oil.
Add the onions to the pan and cook on the high heat for a couple of minutes.
Add the chilli, ginger and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides.
Turn the heat down.
Add the curry powder and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
Add a little hot water to make a thick gravy.
Add the puree and gravy granules.
Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the blended cornflour.
Return to the heat, stirring all the time until the sauce thickens.
Put the lid on and cook over a very gentle heat, until the chicken is tender.

Serve on a bed of boiled rice.

Think this is another SW recipe!

EASY VEGETABLE PAELLA - Serves 4

2 medium onions, finely chopped
200g long or short grain rice
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Mixed herbs
Chilli flakes
Garam masala
coriander seeds

Spray a large, non-stick wok or frying pan, well with Frylight. Place over a medium heat.
Add the onions and garlic and cook until softened. I sometimes soften the onion in the microwave, with a splash of water, to speed up the softening process. (Sorry to keep repeating this - just think it helps, as a reminder! :D )
Add the rice and the herbs and spices. Add as much or, as little, of the last four ingredients, as you like.
Allow the rice to absorb any juices in the pan for a minute or two.
Add the chickpeas and tomatoes, and mix well.
Bring to the boil. Add enough boiling water to cover the rice. You may need to add a little more water, if the mixture goes a bit dry.
Cook on a low simmer until the rice is tender. Allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

NUMBERED INDEX ON PAGES 55 and 98

PASTA WITH ROASTED VEGETABLE SAUCE - Serves 3-4

Syn Free

1 courgette, cut into chunks
1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into small chunks
2 medium red onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and halved (I add more)
4 level tbsp. tomato puree
1 level tsp. sweetener

Place the courgette, pepper, onions and garlic cloves in a sprayed roasting tin.
Spray the vegetables all over with Frylight and season with salt and black pepper.
Roast for 35-40 minutes, or until all the veg is tender.
Meanwhile, be cooking some pasta until al dente.
Put the roasted veg into a food processor or blender, along with the canned tomatoes, tomato puree and sweetener.
Add 142ml/5 fl oz of water and whizz until smooth. Check the seasoning.
Tip the sauce into a pan/dish and heat up on the hob or in the microwave.
Drain the cooked pasta and rinse with boiling water.
Serve the pasta on warmed plates, with the heated sauce tipped over.

Gorgeous with HEX grated cheese sprinkled over and a portion of green veg on the side. Obviously, you can change the roasted veg content to suit.

NUMBERED INDEX ON PAGES 55 and 98

PASTA WITH ROASTED VEGETABLE SAUCE - Serves 3-4

Syn Free

1 courgette, cut into chunks
1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into small chunks
2 medium red onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and halved (I add more)
4 level tbsp. tomato puree
1 level tsp. sweetener

Place the courgette, pepper, onions and garlic cloves in a sprayed roasting tin.
Spray the vegetables all over with Frylight and season with salt and black pepper.
Roast for 35-40 minutes, or until all the veg is tender.
Meanwhile, be cooking some pasta until al dente.
Put the roasted veg into a food processor or blender, along with the canned tomatoes, tomato puree and sweetener.
Add 142ml/5 fl oz of water and whizz until smooth. Check the seasoning.
Tip the sauce into a pan/dish and heat up on the hob or in the microwave.
Drain the cooked pasta and rinse with boiling water.
Serve the pasta on warmed plates, with the heated sauce tipped over.

Gorgeous with HEX grated cheese sprinkled over and a portion of green veg on the side. Obviously, you can change the roasted veg content to suit.

going to make this for tea tonight going to add some carrots aswell as need using up.

Back