Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

CARAMELISED CHICKEN - Serves 4 at 3 Syns each

4 chicken breasts, skinless
6 tablespoons soy sauce
12 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
3 level tablespoons honey (12 Syns)
6 tablespoons of water

Whisk together the marinade ingredients. Do not add salt as the soy sauce is salty enough.
Toss the chicken in the marinade, cover and leave in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Spray a baking tray with Frylight (cover with greaseproof or baking parchment if you want easier washing up) and place the marinaded chicken breasts on it.
Cook in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mk. 5 for approx. 25 minutes. Test the chicken to ensure it is not still pink in the middle. Enjoy!

We had ours with roasted peppers and SW egg fried rice but I guess it will go with most things.

making this tomorrow night! :)
Xxx

*Shine Bright Like A Diamond*

Oh, thanks for adding this, Celtic-Chick. I tried this ages ago and it definitely hit the spot! The texture's a bit sponge like, isn't it? It was yummy and I'd forgotten all about it! xx

making this tomorrow night! :)
Xxx

*Shine Bright Like A Diamond*

Oh, great! Let's hope you enjoy it, as it's always a bit scary recommending recipes to other people, just in case they don't like them! :S We really enjoyed it so hope you do too. xx

91. FISH BIRYANI - Serves 4

Practically Syn Free.

1 small onion, finely chopped
400g filleted and boned fish cut into pieces, about 2 inches each - could use salmon, cod, haddock, etc
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp garlic paste - 0.5 Syn or even less as the Very Lazy Garlic Paste is 1 Syn per level tbsp.
Half a level tsp of ground ginger
6 tbsp. passatta
2 tbsp. tomato puree
Handful of chopped coriander
2 cups of cooked Basmati rice
Juice of half a lemon

Spray a large pan with Frylight and heat over a medium heat.
Add the onion, cumin seeds, garlic paste and ginger and season well with salt and black pepper. Stir-fry until the onions are slightly brown.
Add the dry spices and heat on a high heat for one minute.
Add the passatta and the tomato puree. Cook on a high heat for 2 minutes.
Add the fish, 5 fl oz of water, cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice.
Layer half of the cooked rice in a large, flat-bottomed pan. Spray the bottom with Frylight first.
Put the fish mixture over the rice and sprinkle the coriander over, before topping with the remaining rice.
Cover with the pan lid and cook over a very low heat on the hob for five minutes.

Last edited:
92. INDIAN CHICKEN BURGER - Serves 4

0.5 Syns per serving

4 skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthways
1 tbsp. tomato ketchup - 1 Syn
Quarter tsp of turmeric
1 tbsp. tandoori masala powder (tikka masala will do)
Juice of one lemon
1 tbsp. Very Lazy Garlic Paste - 1 level tbsp. = 1 Syn
Quarter tsp ground ginger
Half tsp. hot chilli powder

Mix all the marinade ingredients together, add the chicken and leave in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Spray a large frying pan with Frylight, ensuring the heat is low.
Add the marinated chicken and cook for approximately 8 minutes on each side. Check it is thoroughly cooked.
Lovely served on a warm HEX roll with salad and maybe a side of SW wedges. :)

Last edited:
Thai salmon and roasted veg - syn free

Salmon fillet
Schwarz Thai seasoning
Roasting vegetables
Rosemary
Fry light

This is a staple in my household and so easy. Par boil some potatoes (I used a hexb of sweet potato), and carrots. You could also use parsnips. Then pop them on a roasting tin with your other vegetables. I used courgette but you could also use red onion and peppers. Spray with fry light and sprinkle with rosemary. Pop into the oven at about 180 for 30 mins or until the veg is starting to brown.

Meanwhile, Top the salmon with the seasoning. I used schwarz Thai seasoning but have also done this using a hot pepper sauce, Harissa paste and paprika mixed with Philly light. Then pop the salmon on an oven try and cook for 15-20 mins.

image-1454140910.jpg

I served mine with broccoli!

NUMBERED INDEX ON PAGE 55 and 98

Wow! That sounds and looks gorgeous, Sparty! I must admit, I love salmon so tend to add nothing to it but will definitely give this a go. I'm afraid all my recipe posts are minus pictures because I'm such a techno-phobe!! :D

Kathy

Last edited:
SALMON AND BROCCOLLI BAKE

1 head of broccoli
2 salmon steaks
2 eggs
half a tub of quark
half a tub of philli lightest
salt and pepper

boil the broccoli for 10 minutes, cook the salmon in the microwave and flake or cut into chunks. put in a oven dish
mix together the other ingredients and pour over the salmon and broccoli, stir and bake for 45 minutes at 180 degrees

93. CHICKPEA AND RICE BALLS - Serves 4

Syn Free

100g long grain white rice (never tried with whole-grain rice)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 fresh red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
2 tomatoes, skinned, seeded and very finely chopped
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 egg yolk
3 tbsp. of fresh chopped coriander
Half tsp. paprika

Cook the rice and allow to cool for a few minutes.
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Spray a pan with Frylight, heat and cook the onion gently for about 5 minutes. Stir frequently, until soft.
Stir in the garlic and chilli and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped tomatoes.
Put the chickpeas in a bowl and mash with a potato masher until fairly smooth. Add the onion mixture, rice, egg yolk, coriander, paprika and season to taste. Mix together well. Divide the mixture into 12 and form into balls.
Place the balls on a Frylighted baking tray and bake for 30 minutes or until beginning to brown, turning them over carefully halfway through. Serve hot.
These are lovely to serve in place of potatoes or plain rice.

Kathy

Last edited:
Back