Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Thankyou so much for your lovely and encouraging comments, Doreen, C Milan, Sparty and Kate. Just got in from work and it's so nice to know you don't think the list of ingredients in some of the recipes is a little overwhelming. It is tricky sometimes to keep them to an absolute minimum now I've used up most of the very basic ones with maybe 4 or 5 things in them, so possibly some don't fit accurately with the thread title but I'm completely reassured now, thanks to all you lovely ladies so I'll just keep going! :D xx

Kathy

Definitely keep it going! All your time & effort to upload the recipes on here for us all is very much appreciated! I made a few recipes off this thread during the past week and I lost 3.3lbs! So, you have actually helped me lose that 3.3lbs! THANK YOU! :thankyou:

I'm also going to try the Mushy Pea Curry. I wonder if I'll be able to trick my OH into eating it! He hates peas and practically gags at the thought of mushy peas! :sign0151:

TZATZIKI DRESSING

Syn Free

6oz of natural Fat Free Greek yoghurt
1 clove of garlic
1 cupful of finely grated, peeled cucumber
Half a tsp of finely grated lemon zest
1 tbsp. of lemon juice
Half a tsp of fresh or freeze-dried chopped dill

Simply mix all the above ingredients together, grating the garlic into the bowl and squeezing as much of the cucumber juices into the bowl, after grating it as you can. Also add the squeezed out grated cucumber too. Stir a pinch of salt through.
Keep in the fridge and serve chilled with salmon, chicken or as a salad dressing or dip.

Syn free Tzatziki?! I've just died and gone to heaven! I looooooove Tzatziki!

Wow! Thanks, Kate, for your lovely message. I'm so glad you lost the weight, too. :) I wonder how you'll get on with convincing your OH that the mushy pea curry is tasty?! I still haven't tried it yet but probably will this weekend. I'm not going to tell my OH what it is either. It's bad enough when he finds out I've added garlic to certain recipes and, even though he's asked for seconds and says how much he's enjoyed it, as soon as the g word is mentioned, the moaning begins! 'I can't stand garlic' or 'You know I don't like garlic.' It doesn't make much difference when I point out that he's asked for seconds!! So, heaven forbid what the verbal consequences would be if he found out I'd 'tricked' him into eating curry made with mushy peas!! :O
My daughter loves Tzatziki too and she's given the above recipe the thumbs up so, hopefully, you'll enjoy it too.

Kathy x

Hahahaha! What would we do without our men and their constant moaning?...Live a peaceful life, that's what! Pah! :8855:

I tend not to tell mine what is in the recipes either, I just make it and put it in front of him! He has been enjoying all the recipes too, so it's all good! I'm sure the Mushy pea curry is lovely because so many people keep bringing it up! I was sceptical of the Diet coke (or pepsi) chicken as well but that one was pretty amazing. As for the Tzatziki recipe, I know for sure I will love it! I have already planned next weeks meal plan using the recipes that you have posted, so will let you know how they turn out!

Thanks again, Kathy! You're a star! :bighug:

Thanks very much, Kate. I tried the Diet Coke Chicken ages ago and, yes, it was surprisingly good. Just off to make the One Syn Korma now - my partner's a driving instructor so he's never in until about 9 o'clock. Good job I have Minimins to keep me company! :)

Kathy

Here's another, which my family love.

JERK CHICKEN WITH BEANS - Serves 4

4 skinless chicken breasts
4 tsp. jerk seasoning
2 red onions, thinly sliced
2x400g cans chopped tomatoes
400g can red kidney beans

Toss chicken in 1 tsp. jerk seasoning, with a little salt and pepper.
Spray a large frying pan with Frylight and heat, before quickly browning the chicken. Remove chicken.
Spray pan again, if necessary and add the sliced onion, cooking until beginning to soften, before adding the remaining jerk seasoning and cooking for a further minute.
Return the chicken to the pan, pour over the tomatoes, then bring to a simmer. Cover, then cook for 20 minutes. Remove the lid, stir in the beans, then cook for 10 minutes longer.
Serve with rice.

Just had this for my tea and have got three spare portions to freeze or take into work. Yum!

Just had this for my tea and have got three spare portions to freeze or take into work. Yum!

is the jerk seasoning free? x

is the jerk seasoning free? x

Yes, it is free if you use spices like Schwartz Perfect Shake jerk seasoning, which I do. However, if you'd rather use a paste, M+S do one called Jamaican Jerk Marinade and it's in a jar. That's 1 Syn per 1 level tablespoon. Hope that helps.

I'm glad you posted this because I realised I hadn't put the Syn value on that recipe or some others of my earlier ones so, thanks! :)

SZECHUAN CHICKEN - Serves 4

2.5 Syns per serving

4 skinless chicken breasts, cubed
3 level tbsp. cornflour - 10.5 Syns
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
5 tbsp. light soy sauce
One and a half tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 tsp granulated sweetener
3 spring onions, sliced diagonally into 1cm pieces
About one eighth of a teaspoon of cayenne pepper

Place the chicken and cornflour into a bag or bowl and toss to coat.
Spray a large wok or frying pan with Frylight and heat over a medium-high heat.
Cook the chicken pieces and garlic, stirring constantly until browned.
Stir in the soy sauce, vinegar, sweetener and 4 tbsp. of water. Cover and cook until the chicken pieces are no longer pink inside, 3 to 5 minutes.
Stir in the spring onions and cayenne and cook, uncovered, for about 2 more minutes. Serve over white rice with lots of lovely veg too.

Doesn't make loads of sauce but you could double up the quantities, if liked. Just don't forget to Syn any more cornflour you may add. Sometimes, if I want it slightly spicier, I also add in about half a teaspoon of chilli flakes/powder too.

CHICKEN AND MUSHROOM FRIED RICE - Serves 6

Syn Free

375g white or whole-wheat rice
2 skinless chicken breasts, diced
2 eggs, or more, beaten
75g mushrooms, sliced
2 spring onions, chopped
1 tbsp. soy sauce, or to taste

Cook rice according to pack instructions. Allow to cool.
Spray a large frying pan with Frylight and heat over a medium-high heat. Brown the chicken and mushrooms, stirring constantly, and season with a little salt - beware of the saltiness of the soy sauce though. Set the chicken aside.
Tip the rice into the frying pan, stirring to brown a little. You may have to re-spray the frying pan with Frylight prior to this.
In a separate pan, lightly scramble the eggs, then add to the rice.
Stir in the chicken, mushrooms, spring onions and soy sauce. Serve immediately, maybe adding some extra soy sauce to your dinner plate, if needed.

I have sometimes done this with pork and shrimp (separately) in the past but I suppose you could also use beef, Quorn chicken pieces or ham instead of the chicken. Could try adding beansprouts too.

Some of the other things I sometimes throw in, depending what I've got in at the time are peas, garlic, chopped celery, peppers and corn but, I suppose, anything goes! :)

Yes, it is free if you use spices like Schwartz Perfect Shake jerk seasoning, which I do. However, if you'd rather use a paste, M+S do one called Jamaican Jerk Marinade and it's in a jar. That's 1 Syn per 1 level tablespoon. Hope that helps.

I'm glad you posted this because I realised I hadn't put the Syn value on that recipe or some others of my earlier ones so, thanks! :)

lol..no worries.
i'm glad you said yes cos i bought the schwartz one earlier...before i read this.
will need to give it a bash now ;) x

Yes, it is, with the Shwartz Perfect Shake jerk seasoning - not sure about other spice powders but would imagine so and not Syn Free with the above mentioned M+S paste.

Kathy

QUICK AND EASY GARLIC CHICKEN FRIED RICE - Serves 3

Syn Free

225g skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 small red pepper, deseeded and chopped
3-4 spring onions, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
585g cooked cold brown rice
2 tbsp. light soy sauce
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
150g frozen peas, thawed

Spray a large frying pan with Frylight and heat over a medium heat.
Add the chicken, pepper, spring onions and garlic.
Cook, stirring, until the chicken is cooked through - about 5 minutes. Set aside so the pan can be used again.
Spray the pan again with Frylight. Add the rice, stirring until heated through. If it begins to stick, just add a tablespoon of water to loosen.
Stir in the soy sauce, white wine vinegar and peas. Continue to cook for one minute.
Return the chicken mixture to the pan and stir to blend with the rice, heating through before serving.

Cant remember if i got this from here or not but made it and used it on some chicken skewers i did on the bbq and it was lovely! Freezed 2 other portion to use with dinners during the week. Quick and easy and tasted shop bought!

SYNFREE BBQ SAUCE

you will need
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tsp mild chilli powder
227ml/8fl oz passata
3 tbsp artifical sweetner
4 tbsp balsamaic vinegar
1 tbsp worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp mustard powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper.

balsalmic vingar and worchestershire sauce provide the basis for this greattasting bbq sauce that is perfect for a dip, basting a chicken thighs orvegetable kebabs before a bbq, lady who gave me this recipe said she has themon spare ribs and cooks them in the oven so she has bbq spare ribs.

Spray a pan with fry light and saute the onion and chilli powder over a lowheat for 5 minutes until softened.

Stir in the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutesuntil thickened. Check the seasoning before serving hot or cold.

syn free on both days ready in 20 minutes serves 4 and freezer friendly.

Yes, it is, with the Shwartz Perfect Shake jerk seasoning - not sure about other spice powders but would imagine so and not Syn Free with the above mentioned M+S paste.

Kathy

Just been and got this one and threw the Cajun one in as well. I've seen syn free Cajun wedges somewhere and I reckon they would be lovely with the tzatzilki dip that someone posted last week.

STICKY CHICKEN - Serves 4

2 Syns per serving

3 tbsp. of runny honey
3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp. soy sauce
680g skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes

Mix together the honey, vinegar and soy sauce. Toss the chicken cubes in the mix to coat thoroughly and leave to stand for, at least, 30 minutes in the fridge.
Heat a frying pan, add the chicken cubes and marinade. Cook on high heat for about 20 minutes, until all the liquid has absorbed into the chicken. Stir regularly to prevent burning.
When the chicken is thoroughly cooked, serve immediately, maybe on a bed of crispy salad or with rice.

Can also be used as a BBQ marinade.

Forgot about this one! It's so easy but totally scrumptious!!

Just had this for tea with spinach salad and sweet potato wedges. Was delicious

Back