Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

VEGETARIAN PAELLA - Serves 4

Syn Free

2 medium onions, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
half tsp chilli flakes
1 green and 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
Some frozen peas
2 tomatoes, chopped
800ml vegetable stock
250-300g long or short grain rice - I use Basmati
1 tsp paprika

Start softening the onions in the microwave for about 3 minutes with a tsp or two of water, covered, before adding them to a large Frylighted pan, along with the garlic, covering and cooking for a further 3 minutes.
Then add the peppers and peas, stir in, cover again and cook for a further few minutes.
Make a well in the centre of the mixture, put the tomatoes in the well and sprinkle the paprika on top.
Add in the stock and season with some black pepper.
Scatter the rice over the stock, stir it in then allow to simmer gently until the liquid is absorbed and the rice has cooked. This usually takes 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add a little extra stock or water if it looks like drying out too much before the rice has cooked.

Lovely served with veggie sausages or chicken (non-veggie, obviously! :) and, if you have any saffron threads in the house, it makes it so much more authentic when dissolved into the stock.

KEEMA CURRY

500g extra lean mince
1 onion chopped finely
2 tablespoons medium curry powder
400g potatoes, peeled &cut into 2 .5 inch cubes
200mls beef stock
large tin of chopped tomatoes
salt & pepper
150g frozen peas

In a large pan brown the mince and onion, drain off any access fat.

add the curry powder and pots and fry for 2 mins more

pour in the stock and toms, season and cover and simmer for 25 mins. You can add a little more stock if becomes too dry.

mix in the peas and cook for a further 5 mins until tender.

Lovely served with rice and green beans.

Must try this next week!

Hi, Teamnasher. It's a Spanish/Mexican spicy sausage made form pork with some paprika and other seasonings added. You can find it in all supermarkets and it really adds flavour to certain recipes. I always buy the ready diced chorizo and it's 6.5 Syns per 100g. Can't get enough of the stuff, especially when it's crisped up! In my Sainsbury's it's opposite the bacon in the chiller cabinet but just ask if you can't find it. Hope that helps. :) x

Kathy

Thank you chocko ;) i shall keep an eye out :) x

SPICY CHICKEN NASI GORENG - Serves 4

3 Syns for whole recipe

3 eggs
6 shallots, finely sliced
3 level tbsp. medium-hot curry paste - 3 Syns (I use Patak's Tandoori but for other options look a few posts under this)
2 skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
300g freshly cooked Basmati rice
1 red pepper, sliced into strips
2 spring onions, chopped
Handful fresh coriander, chopped

Beat the eggs together in a bowl and season.
Spray a deep frying pan with Frylight and heat over a medium heat. Add half the beaten egg in a thin layer and cook for a few minutes, until set and golden underneath.
Tip out, roll up and allow to cool, then finely slice.
Respray the pan and do the same with the remaining egg.
Spray the pan again and cook the thinly sliced shallots for about 8 minutes. Remove from pan.
Heat the curry paste in the pan, add the chicken strips and stir-fry for about 4 minutes, until almost cooked.
Add the cooked rice, red pepper and spring onion and stir-fry for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and carefully stir in the shallots, egg and coriander.

Last edited:
COURGETTE PASTA BAKE - Serves 4 (Courtesy of Rosemary Conley)

Syn Free

225g wholemeal pasta
1 vegetable stock cube
4 courgettes, diced
2 red onions, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red chilli, sliced
1 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
600g tomato passata
3 tbsp. FF fromage frais
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
Cook the pasta, according to pack instructions, in a pan of boiling water containing the stock cube, then drain.
Preheat a large non-stick pan.
Dry-fry the courgettes, onion and garlic in the pan for 3-4 mins. Add the chilli, basil and tomato passata.
Bring the sauce to a gentle simmer, then stir in the cooked pasta and season with salt and black pepper.
Transfer to an ovenproof dish and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Just before serving, dot with the fromage frais and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
Serve with fresh vegetables or salad.

Would be good sprinkled with some grated HEX cheese. :)

EASY CHICKEN AND CHORIZO PASTA - Serves 4

6.5 Syns per whole recipe (if using the Parmesan as a HEX)

3 skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
400g whole-wheat pasta
100g chorizo, diced - 6.5 Syns
400g tin chopped tomatoes with basil
Grated Parmesan or Cheddar

Cook pasta, according to pack instructions.
Meanwhile, fry the chorizo for about 5 minutes or until the oils run.
Add the chicken pieces to the chorizo and fry for a further 5 minutes.
Rinse and drain the pasta and toss in the sauce. Season with black pepper.
If liked, serve with a HEX cheese sprinkled over.

SPICY CHICKEN NASI GORENG - Serves 4

3 Syns for whole recipe

3 eggs
6 shallots, finely sliced
3 level tbsp. medium-hot curry paste - 3 Syns
2 skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
300g freshly cooked Basmati rice
1 red pepper, sliced into strips
2 spring onions, chopped
Handful fresh coriander, chopped

Beat the eggs together in a bowl and season.
Spray a deep frying pan with Frylight and heat over a medium heat. Add half the beaten egg in a thin layer and cook for a few minutes, until set and golden underneath.
Tip out, roll up and allow to cool, then finely slice.
Respray the pan and do the same with the remaining egg.
Spray the pan again and cook the thinly sliced shallots for about 8 minutes. Remove from pan.
Heat the curry paste in the pan, add the chicken strips and stir-fry for about 4 minutes, until almost cooked.
Add the cooked rice, red pepper and spring onion and stir-fry for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and carefully stir in the shallots, egg and coriander.

Hi Kathy.Just wondering what brand of curry paste do you use for this?Thanks

loving the recipes.

SUNSHINE PORK AND POTATOES - Ready in 1 and a quarter to 1 and a half hours. Serves 4 and is easy to make.

750g new potatoes
500g on the vine tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic
3-4 sprigs of rosemary
4 pork chops or steaks

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Wash potatoes but don't peel. Cut into thickish slices then cook in boiling water for 6-8 mins until almost tender. Drain. Slice the tomatoes to the same thickness. Chop the garlic, then strip the rosemary from its stalks and chop the leaves fairly finely.
Spray the base of a shallow ovenproof dish with Frylight. Arrange rows of potatoes and tomatoes across the base and season. Sprinkle over the garlic and half the rosemary.
Spray Frylight over the veg and bake for 15 mins, then sit the pork on top. Season and sprinkle with the remaining rosemary. Return to the oven for 35-40 mins, until the pork and potatoes are tender.
Simple but very tasty.

I made this on Friday night and it was delicious - my boyfriend was very happy!

I would really recommend this to people - we used 3 pork steaks (he had 2 I had 1) and it was plenty

xxxx

PORK, CHORIZO AND CANNELLINI BEAN STEW - Serves 5

3.5 Syns per serving

850g pork shoulder or loin
400g tin Cannellini beans
250g Chorizo - 16.5 Syns
2 x 400g chopped tomatoes
2 large red onions
4 garlic cloves
2 tsp smoked paprika
Half a tsp of dried chilli flakes or to taste

Firstly, slice the pork into strips, season and fry in a large pan until browned all over. Remove from the pan and drain off any excess oil.
Add the cubed chorizo to the pan, brown for two minutes and then add the roughly chopped onions, paprika, chilli flakes and garlic. Fry for a further five minutes or until the onion has softened.
Once the onions have softened, add the pork back into the pan along with half a pint of water and all the tomatoes. Season to taste.
Simmer for one hour on a low heat with the lid on, adding more water if it looks necessary. After one hour, add the cannellini beans, leave the lid off and continue to simmer for a further 30 minutes.

Gorgeous served with a HEX slice of crusty bread!

I made this at the weekend,it was very tasty.Even hubby loved it.Thanks for sharing

Hi Kathy.Just wondering what brand of curry paste do you use for this?Thanks

Hi Celtic-Chick - I always use Patak's Tandoori paste at 1 Syn per level tbsp. but it's down to personal taste, of course. I've just looked on-line and here's a run-down of the Patak curry pastes. Each Syn value is for 1 level tablespoon. Hope it helps. :)

Tandoori, Thai Red and Thai Green = 1 Syn
Balti = 1.5 Syns
Korma, Madras and Rogan Josh = 2 Syns
Tikka Masala = 2.5 Syns

Kathy x

CHICKEN, BACON AND TOMATO PASTA BAKE - Serves 4

2 Syns per whole recipe, if using Nando's Sundried Tomato Paste + Basil Peri Peri (1 Syn per tbsp.) and 4 x 45g HEX portions of Light Mozzarella.

1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
400g skinless, diced chicken breasts
400g passata
2 level tbsp. Nando's Sundried Tomato Paste + Basil Peri Peri - 2 Syns (or 2 tbsp. tomato puree + 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil - in which case, no Syns! )
400g dried pasta shapes
Several rashers of bacon, all fat removed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
180g Light Mozzarella - 4 x HEX (obviously you don't have to use this much if you don't want to)

Spray a large frying pan with Frylight and cook the onions, garlic and chopped bacon until just softened and the bacon, cooked.
Add the chicken and fry for a further 5 minutes, until browned all over.
Stir in the passata, tomato paste, half a teaspoon of sweetener and the fresh basil, if using.
Season with salt and black pepper and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
In this time, cook the pasta according to pack instructions and pre-heat the oven to 220C/Gas 7.
Rinse and drain the pasta and stir in the chicken mixture.
Transfer to a shallow ovenproof dish and sprinkle over the torn Mozzarella.
Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling.

Hope you can understand all the waffling at the beginning of the recipe but, all I can say is, it's well worth doing! :)

ROASTED PEPPER SAUCE - Serves 2-4

Syn Free unless roasting in a tbsp. of oil, instead of Frylight

3 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
2 peeled red onions, cut into chunks
Half a teaspoon of dried thyme
500g passata
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

Heat the oven to 220C/Gas 7.
Spray a baking tray with Frylight and place the peppers, onion and garlic on it, sprinkling with salt and pepper to taste, the thyme and then spraying again with Frylight. Alternatively, toss the peppers, onion and thyme in a tbsp. of oil but don't forget to Syn it.
Roast for 30 minutes if done in oil and about 45-50 if using Frylight - just keep an eye on them. Cook until soft and slightly blackened.
Cool, then blend until just chunky. Stir through the passata and warm through when ready to use.

This is lovely on its own, served with pasta and topped with a HEX cheese but it's also lovely with tuna or chicken too. Depending on who's eating it, I sometimes add some chilli flakes towards the end of cooking, sometimes some smoked paprika and, quite often, a slug of balsamic vinegar. It's so easy and so much better than shop bought!

Hi Celtic-Chick - I always use Patak's Tandoori paste at 1 Syn per level tbsp. but it's down to personal taste, of course. I've just looked on-line and here's a run-down of the Patak curry pastes. Each Syn value is for 1 level tablespoon. Hope it helps. :)

Tandoori, Thai Red and Thai Green = 1 Syn
Balti = 1.5 Syns
Korma, Madras and Rogan Josh = 2 Syns
Tikka Masala = 2.5 Syns

Kathy x

Thanks Kathy.That's a great help.

Favourite thread on the site :)

ONE PAN SALMON - Serves 2

Syn Free

400g new potatoes, scrubbed and halved or quartered, if large
8 asparagus spears, trimmed and halved
2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 clove of uncrushed garlic
2 salmon fillets, about 140g each
Handful of basil leaves

Preheat the oven to 220C/Gas 7.
Spray a shallow, ovenproof dish well with Frylight and tip in the potatoes and garlic. Season well with salt and black pepper. Roast for about 20 mins, until starting to brown.
Place the asparagus and cherry tomatoes in with the potatoes, re-spray and continue to roast for a further 15 minutes.
Tip in the vinegar and place the salmon amongst the veg. Spray well with Frylight again.
Return to the oven for a further 10-15 minutes or until the salmon has cooked through. If it shows signs of burning before it's cooked through, cover just the salmon with pieces of foil.
Scatter over the basil leaves and serve immediately.

Good with thinly sliced red onion added at the beginning. If I have any courgettes, I sometimes put them in too. Canned cherry tomatoes are good if you want more of a sauce effect.

CHICKEN AND CHORIZO JAMBALAYA - Serves 4

6.5 Syns for the whole recipe

2 skinless chicken breasts, chopped
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
100g chorizo, diced
250g long grain rice
400g can chopped tomatoes
500ml chicken stock

Cook the chorizo in a large pan. When the oils begin to run, add the chicken and brown for about 5-8 mins. Remove the chorizo and the chicken and set aside.
Tip in the onion and cook until soft, then add the red pepper, Cajun seasoning and garlic and cook for 5 mins more.
Stir the chicken and chorizo back in, along with the rice. Add the stock, black pepper (shouldn't need salt) and tomatoes. Cover and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes, until the rice is tender. Check occasionally to see if more liquid is needed (it shouldn't be) and, if towards the end, there seems to be too much liquid left, remove the lid of the pan and continue cooking until desired consistency is reached.

Sometimes I add mushrooms and finely sliced celery, at the onion stage, just to add more veggies. As I'm not crazy about really spicy food, this recipe is fine for me but, when my daughter makes it for her and her boyfriend, she adds in chilli or uses extra hot Cajun seasoning. She's also used paprika or Tabasco sauce in the past too.

Could always add in some prawns to ring the changes - whatever you want really! :)

Last edited:
BLUEBERRY YOGHURT BRULEE - Serves 4

3 Syns per serving

200g blueberries - 6 Syns because they're cooked!
2 tsp honey - 2 Syns
250g FF Greek yoghurt
4 tsp dark Muscovado sugar - 4 Syns

Place the blueberries and honey in a small pan and heat gently, until the juices of the blueberries start to run and the fruit softens slightly.
Remove from the heat and spoon the fruit and juices into 4 individual serving bowls, sort of ramekin size. Leave to cool.
Spoon the yoghurt over the cooled fruit and sprinkle each dessert with 1 level tsp of muscovado sugar. This will 'melt' and turn syrupy. Chill until ready to serve.

Back