Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

I did thanks. It was pure luxury but I'm definitely not getting on the scales yet! Just about to do my shopping list and trying to be good!!

Kathy xx

I'm going to try this one out on the weekend.

Pulled Pork

[*]1.5-2kg pork shoulder, all fat removed
[*]5 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
[*]1 tsp mustard powder
[*]500g passata
[*]3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
[*]2 cloves of garlic, crushed
[*]3 tbsp sweetener
[*]Salt and freshly ground black pepper

[*]In a small bowl, mix passata, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, mustard powder, garlic, sweetener and seasoning. Transfer to a small pan and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
[*]Meanwhile, trim and remove all visible fat from the pork and sear all sides in a hot frying pan sprayed with low calorie cooking spray. Transfer to a roasting tin lined with aluminium foil and pour the sauce over the pork making sure all the meat is covered. Cover with the foil and bake on 160°C/140°C Fan for 4-5 hours.
[*]Remove the pork from the oven and place on a cutting board. Allow the meat to cool for approximately 15 minutes, then shred into bite-sized pieces using two forks.

Some people are also adding 2 teaspoon's of smoked paprika too.

Do you think it would work in a roasting bag?

I think it would,the only thing is you probably wouldn't get the charred bits on the outside like you would if you cooked it uncovered x

Sent from my GT-S5839i using MiniMins.com mobile app

SPICY BACON PASTA - Serves 2

Syn Free

200g bacon, all visible fat removed and chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried mixed Italian herbs
Quarter of a tsp. chilli flakes or, to taste
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
200ml hot vegetable stock
400g can chopped tomatoes
200g dried whole-wheat pasta

Fry the bacon in a non-stick pan until beginning to crisp.
Spray well with Frylight and cook the onion and garlic until soft. I always either use frozen chopped onion for this or pre-cook the onion in the microwave with a splash of water until it is already pretty soft. So much easier than trying to soften onion with Frylight.
Add the dried herbs, chilli flakes and sprinkle with black pepper, to taste.
Pour in the red wine vinegar and stir together.
Add the stock and tomatoes and season with a little salt.
Stir and leave to simmer, uncovered - about 10 mins - to reduce, thicken and become a little glossy looking.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta, according to pack instructions. Drain, rinse and toss with the sauce.

This is really nice with a HEX portion of mature cheese grated over. Could also add in mushrooms, peppers, courgettes, etc.

QUICK CHICKEN RISOTTO - Serves 4

Syn Free

4 rashers of bacon, all visible fat removed and chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
350g risotto rice
1 litre hot chicken stock, made with 2 stock cubes
1 tbsp. dried mixed herbs
A handful of sliced mushrooms
3 tomatoes, finely chopped
300g cooked chicken, diced

Take a large, lidded microwaveable dish, spray well with Frylight and add the chopped bacon and finely chopped onion. Add a dessertspoon of water and microwave on Medium power for 2 mins.
Add the rice and pour in a third of the stock. Stir in the herbs.
Cover and microwave on High for 10 mins. Stir, then add another third of the stock, re-cover and microwave again for 3 mins.
Stir the rice again, then add the mushrooms, chopped tomatoes, chicken, the remaining stock and seasoning. Cook for a further 7 minutes on High.
Leave to stand for 2 minutes and serve with a HEX portion of cheese grated over.

Hubby bought me a slow cooker for xmas - what an old romantic eh?

Can't wait to get started with it, I think some casseroles will be the first subjects :D

Oh, brilliant! I'm sure you'll love it! Just make sure he gets you something more romantic for Valentines Day/birthday/anniversary.......!

Hope you had a good Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.

Kathy x

Thanks Kathy, I hope you had a great one too!

Ps - he got me a toaster last year so I am expecting an Iron next xmas :D

Oh dear! You'll have to train him! The person who is now my EX-husband once bought me a dinner service for Christmas, hence the EX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still think you'll love your slow cooker though! :D

Kathy xx

happy new year to you all. hope you all have a great year ahead.

SPICED LAMB MEATBALLS - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

400g extra lean lamb mince (could always ask your butcher to mince you up a really lean piece of lamb, if you can't get what you're after in the supermarket)
1 leek, finely chopped
2 chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
Handful of fresh breadcrumbs (could use part of a HEX)
1 lamb stock cube
1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns (could use Frylight but doesn't work as well)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
400g can chopped tomatoes with herbs
Handful of chopped basil

Place the minced lamb in a large bowl along with the chopped leek, half the chillies, breadcrumbs and seasoning, to taste.
Sprinkle over the stock cube and combine together.
Shape the lamb mixture into little round balls and place in the fridge for 10 minutes to firm up.
To make the sauce, heat the oil in a non-stick pan and gently fry the onion, garlic and the remaining chilli for 5 minutes or until soft.
Add the tomatoes and chopped basil. Simmer for 10 minutes and season to taste.
Remove the meatballs from the fridge and brown off in a frying pan, pour over the tomato sauce, cover with a lid and simmer gently for 30-35 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked.

I serve these with garlicky SW roast potatoes and, if I have any balsamic vinegar, I add a splash or two in along with the chopped basil.

GRILLED SALMON FILLETS WITH CHILLI PESTO - Serves 4

3 Syns per serving

4 x salmon fillets, skinned
30g of fresh coriander
1 red chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
Half tsp. sea salt
2 tbsp. light olive oil - 12 Syns

Remove any thick stalks from the coriander (small ones can be left on), roughly chop and place in the bowl of a food processor.
Add the chilli, garlic, lime zest, juice and salt and whizz until the ingredients are well chopped.
With the processor still running, pour in the oil until a paste is formed.
Pre-heat the grill to High.
Place the salmon fillets on a baking sheet and spread one side with the mixture.
Grill at least 10cm away from the heat. Depending on the strength of your grill and the thickness of the salmon, they should take 8-10 minutes to cook through.

Lovely served with new potatoes and peas or asparagus. The paste also tastes good spread onto chicken breasts.

SLOW COOKER VEG CURRY - Serves 5

Syn Free

1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2.5 tbsp. curry powder or, to taste
2 tbsp. tomato puree
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 vegetable stock cube
Approx. 300g mixed veg, fresh (chopped) or frozen - I usually use cauli, carrots, sweet potato, etc.

Spray the slow cooker bowl with Frylight, to help with the washing up and tip in all the ingredients, along with seasoning to taste and 2 tbsp. water. Stir together and cook on Low for 6-7 hours.
Serve with rice, couscous or jacket potatoes.

Back